Author Topic: Propane tank  (Read 3058 times)

Offline Lightman

• Team IceShanty Regular
Propane tank
« on: Feb 11, 2013, 11:45 AM »
Hey guys. I was all excited when I first got my valve so that I could refill the little 1lb tanks from my big grill size tank. Then I recently learned that this is a quick way to ruin your buddy heater, as the grill propane is not filtered. I bought a mr buddy fuel filter, but it's too big to just install in-line with the small tank, so I'd like to get a hose and maybe a 2-4lb tank. Is there a light/compact size one that folks prefer that have portable fish trap type huts? Thanks

Offline wolverine

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If I ain't gettin em I'm Lookin
Re: Propane tank
« Reply #1 on: Feb 11, 2013, 11:57 AM »
Have been refilling my own for a few years now and have not had any problem with my heater. My understanding is the problem comes with using larger tanks with the black hose and not using a filter as the hose must break down a little and gives off a gummy like substance thus plugging your heater. If you do fill your own bottles just use extreme care and do it outside. Best of luck in what you do.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #2 on: Feb 11, 2013, 12:12 PM »
A five pound tank is a nice size for what you want. I use an eleven pound tank. This guy would be a good one for you. http://www.lowes.com/pd_313493-743-281149_4294703224__?productId=3089591&Ns=p_product_avg_rating|1
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline HVFD14

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Don't ask...I can't tell.
« Reply #3 on: Feb 11, 2013, 12:49 PM »
My understanding is the problem comes with using larger tanks with the black hose and not using a filter as the hose must break down a little and gives off a gummy like substance thus plugging your heater. If you do fill your own bottles just use extreme care and do it outside. Best of luck in what you do.

This is correct.  You are ok to fill off your big tank into the 1 pounders.  The problem from the big tank to a heater is the black hose releases oil from the high pressure propane in it.  Dirty hose...not dirty propane.
  BE THERE!

Offline BigDynamite

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • There's one!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 11, 2013, 02:57 PM »
I have a 5 lb tank and love it.  They are not cheap anywhere I found.  I got mine from Cabelas and it was $60 (this was 2 years ago).  I use the black hose with the filter.  The hose gets fairly stiff but mine is a 12' so not a problem.  There is a green hose available from Mr. heater that allows you to go without the filter, but my understanding is it gets even stiffer than the black one when cold.  I use my digital fish scale to tell how much of the propane I have left.  The empty weight of my tank is 9.9 lbs.

Tight Lines and Hard Water

Offline xcr440

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 13, 2013, 07:16 PM »
I've read a lot about black hose green hose. I have a black quick connect hose. No way to put a filter on. 2 years now and no gumming up. ????

Offline Lightman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 13, 2013, 08:13 PM »
Good to know re the hose being the source of the issue.  I would like to increase capacity from the 1lb'ers though, so I wonder what good options exist? I'd heard of a 'pancake' tank..but have not seen them. I'll take a look around cabelas and those type of sites.

Offline hamms

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 14, 2013, 07:27 AM »
I have a20#and a 5# I have the quick disconnect hose with a  regulater on it.I read that you don't need a filter if you run with this hose. 5 # tank is nice size to have but if you could get a 10 or 11# that would be good too.
Fishin red lines

Offline HVFD14

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Don't ask...I can't tell.
« Reply #8 on: Feb 14, 2013, 10:06 AM »
Good to know re the hose being the source of the issue.  I would like to increase capacity from the 1lb'ers though, so I wonder what good options exist? I'd heard of a 'pancake' tank..but have not seen them. I'll take a look around cabelas and those type of sites.

I use the "pancake" 11#er.  It is the same footprint of the 20# tank, but sits just a little shorter.  I picked mine up early this year at the local hardware store for $60.  They aren't cheap, but I also use mine for a lot more than just ice fishing.
  BE THERE!

Offline Gimper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 15, 2013, 04:51 AM »
I have an 11lb tank and love it. My brother has a 20lb tank and complains about it. It is amazing how much more the 20lber seems to weigh when pulling it thru the snow in the sled. I also run a black hose with a filter. I had a 12' hose but it got 'congested' with goo after some 10 years of use. I picked up a 5' hose two years ago and haven't had a problem with yet. I'm figuring in another 8 years or so I'll need another hose. I'll probably buy the green hose then.

Offline teamlund

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • pike are for guys that cant catch walleye :v)
« Reply #10 on: Feb 16, 2013, 05:28 AM »
i have a 5lber and like it alot more than dealing with the little 1 lbers. I use the black hose and a filter. The 5 lb will get me through a weekend and than some...
Northern pike are for guys that cant catch walleye :v)

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Feb 16, 2013, 05:46 AM »
Boy what a great accumulation of good info.

WS

Offline mricefish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Mar 21, 2013, 07:48 PM »
If you run your heater from a 20lb with out a heater it is just a matter of time till you have trouble.  I did not put a filter on mine and used it for quite a while like that.  Then one day I could not get it to keep going more more than 20seconds at a time.  Now have a new heater with the filter and hope to not have that trouble again. 

Offline Damn Yankee

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #13 on: Mar 23, 2013, 06:06 PM »
Look at the fiberglass tanks. Many Benefits over the steel tanks. I bought a 11lb 2 years ago @ a decent price.
Tiki at the bottom of the list has a very good price on the 17lb tank.

http://www.ragascousa.com
Leave Some For Seed

Offline greenbackhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Mar 24, 2013, 07:23 AM »
Don't use the mr.heater hose. They are cheap and cause all the trouble for the heater contamination. Go to your local propane place, get them to make you a good hose. Your problems will dissapear, and the hose stays flexable at all temps.

sunniewally

« Reply #15 on: Apr 07, 2013, 07:05 AM »
 Mr. Heater F273702   can use this hose without a filter.  must be this part number.

Offline Water and ice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 05, 2013, 07:15 AM »
I bought a 11lb propane tank from a local place. I went and had it filled yesterday so when i get home i hear the tank hissing. So i hook up my big buddy heater to the tank and it stops hissing. Takes forever to light the heater but it finally ignights. I let it run for awhile and turned it off and disconnected the hose from the tank the valive was turned off on the tank and once i lossen the hose i get propace spaying all over my hand. Finally stops so i hook up my other hose thinking maybe something wrong with my hose I have 2 different lenght hoses. This time when i turn the knob to ignite the heater i hearing the heater hissing. Finally get it started after i burned the hair off my hand(nice size ball of flame). So i unhook it from the tank and the same thing happens again when i took the hose off.

So i hook up a 1lb bottle to make sure its the tank and not the heater. Well the new tank is not working and i cant find the reciept. I am know have to find a place that can put a new valve on my tank while its full.

Offline Fatfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Dec 05, 2013, 07:23 AM »
I do not know for sure but if you use a big tank,you are suppose to use a fuel filter. Ok, lets see what the other guys say. I refill all my 1lb. tanks. 
  That is to bad,I know what them small Propane tanks sell for.   Fat Fish

Offline Water and ice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 05, 2013, 07:27 AM »
I do use a filter.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #19 on: Dec 05, 2013, 08:04 AM »
If purchased on credit card or debit card usually they can "trace" the transaction.  I know menards and home depot do this just give them your card.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 05, 2013, 08:15 AM »
I just bought a brand new Portable Buddy and the package says
I do not know for sure but if you use a big tank,you are suppose to use a fuel filter. Ok, lets see what the other guys say. I refill all my 1lb. tanks. 
  That is to bad,I know what them small Propane tanks sell for.   Fat Fish

I just bought a brand new Portable Buddy heater at Tractor Supply and the packaging says there are 3 hoses available for use with bulk tanks. The first 2 were 6' hoses and said they would require the filter, the 3rd was a 12' hose and did not require the filter. Don't know what the difference is other than the length?
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline big bobber

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • cant fish during the day...learn to fish at night
« Reply #21 on: Dec 05, 2013, 08:21 AM »
regulator...????maybe overfilled...??? :-\
i just know they will bite if i stay another hour.

Tinker

« Reply #22 on: Dec 05, 2013, 08:31 AM »
I had a similar incident happen this summer with a portable grill.  I think what I did wrong was turn off the grill and not the propane tank, so when I went to unhook the hose I had pressurized propane in the hose and it all came out all over me.  Now that I think of it that was nasty, would rather have gas on my hands.   Normally I shut off the tank first then crank up the regulator to try and expell/burn off (while the burner is still burning)all the gas in the line before disconnecting.   I am a charcoal griller at home but we use plenty of propane for other cooking.  I have had a couple of times right after filling a tank that nothing will come out, using a hose with a regulator.  I would hook it up to other propane tanks and it would work and eventually the full one would work.  Not sure if the regulator gets stuck or maybe the OPD has something to do with it.  As for the hissing tank, sounds like its not sealing properly, I have never had one apart but assume they have a valve just like your tires that has to be pushed in to open when you connect a device.  AS we all know, or at least on all my tanks, if you just open a tank propane won't come out witout something hooked to it.  I believe a tank has to be certified every so often, you will likely  have to go to a propane dealer to have the valve replaced.

Offline Water and ice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Dec 05, 2013, 11:19 AM »
Called Menards and they exchanged the full tank for another new one. Lets hope this one works like it should.

Offline Water and ice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Dec 06, 2013, 07:42 AM »
I got a new tank yesterday. I hooked it up to my big buddy heater and worked perfectly except it doesnt seem to heat like it used to. When its on high it seems like its not putting out the heat and the plates are not glowing like they used to. Not sure what i need to do wife was not happy when i suggested i might need a new heater.

Offline Flypopper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Dec 08, 2013, 08:37 AM »
I have a big buddy heater that I use at work often so i will go thru 5  20# propane tanks a year with it and no problems with the heater so far (about 5 yrs)
I have the hose that is designed for use without a filter. The hose is a better quality that wont deteriorate over time
Also that's why it cost $40 instead of $25 or so.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.