Author Topic: 11-Mile Perch  (Read 2921 times)

Offline coboy

• Team IceShanty Addict
11-Mile Perch
« on: Jan 10, 2007, 10:37 PM »
I've caught about a dozen perch at 11-mile the past two years and I'm wondering how they would be on a quick rig for pike.I don't know what the DOW
policy is on catching them and releasing them back,or leaving them on the ice? And I would be lovin' it if I caught some the size of the ones TFB caught.
By some strange chance I were to catch a sucker at Sucker Cove,why can't I try a live one for pike? The same goes for perch.Yes I'm aware of the
regs. but technically I'm not introducing a new species, because its already there.Also what better way to clean up them so-called trash fish by using
them and trying to catch other trash fish.Unless the DOW feels bait from outside would be used and adding to the mix and more chance of affecting the
waters downstream?

Offline Don In Denver

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Let 'em go! Let 'em grow!
Re: 11-Mile Perch
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2007, 12:27 PM »
You can't use live fish as bait in waters above 7,000 feet.  It's that simple.  And you can't waste wildlife by leaving the dead perch or suckers on the ice. 

Offline SnipeHntr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 11, 2007, 05:55 PM »
Why would you want to use a tasty perch as bait?

Offline coboy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 11, 2007, 08:28 PM »
I'm only catching 7 inchers which would be alot fresher for bait than something bought at a store.

Offline Don In Denver

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Let 'em go! Let 'em grow!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 12, 2007, 10:06 AM »
You can use dead perch as bait at 11 Mile.

Offline colorado_

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 12, 2007, 10:25 AM »
I've been reading about perch at 11 Mile for the last 2-3 years.  Are they hanging around Sucker Cove only or have you caught them in other places?

Offline coboy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 12, 2007, 10:59 PM »
Don,thanks for the info.Colorado,I've caught perch at Lazy Boy and Sucker Cove.First at LB last year and when things started to get slow I started to
fish SC and caught perch there last year,also.I've also heard there are smallmouth in there too,but I've yet to catch one.I wonder, has anyone tried
perch for pike,and have they noticed any difference as compared to using water dogs or suckers?

Offline R.J.

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It must be that time again!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 16, 2007, 11:18 AM »
Perch are an absolutely excellent bait for pike.  But Don is correct about no live bait, so you have to kill it.  I do very well with dead bait under a tip up for northerns.  I have never caught pike in 11 mile, but I am sure it works the same there as anywhere else.  Don't forget about hot dogs when targeting pike, they also work great.

And as far as perch and northerns being trash fish--it absolutely amazes me that anyone could think that.  They are both fun to catch (when using the right gear) and are both very tasty fish.  I go out of my way to catch both species.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.