Author Topic: A few nice gills this afternoon  (Read 9429 times)

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: A few nice gills this afternoon
« Reply #30 on: Feb 08, 2009, 04:49 PM »
Not at all, do you need additional info? I am just starting to figure out Photobucket, and the whole posting process. Send me a PM if you require info. I'm always happy to hear of people taking their craft seriously.

Well I only have so much room on the browser but if you have some exceptional photos...  ;D

Why not post them here for all to see?
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Feb 24, 2009, 05:25 AM »
Don't know about exceptional, but these match the title, at least. I released about the same number of larger gills for the future. The pumpkin seed is 8'' for reference:

Offline bigfoot697

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Feb 24, 2009, 08:04 AM »
gotta love those eater gills. table quality right up there with all panfish and if you match your line to the size of the fish those gills never give up. 1 of my favorite fish.

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Feb 24, 2009, 08:36 AM »
gotta love those eater gills. table quality right up there with all panfish and if you match your line to the size of the fish those gills never give up. 1 of my favorite fish.

Darn tootin'!
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline crappie rob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #34 on: Feb 24, 2009, 09:29 AM »
Those are some nice lookin gills!! What state? C-ya. Crappie Rob.
Lets Go Cubs. Bring on the baseball season!!!

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Feb 24, 2009, 02:58 PM »
Pennsylvania, the Northeast region. They came out of a shallow fifty acre lake (private) that is a fish factory. Tons of small to medium perch, pickerel that tend to be large, and a varied size of bass, as well as crappie which have all been large, 11'' and up. The only problem is that nobody can find the crappie on a regular basis. Oh well, have to settle for gills that are often 9'' long. Yes, they are good fighters on a light jigging stick. The day of this picture, I actually pulled my dead stick after two big gills in a row swallowed my jig. The first I had to keep, but by some miracle, I managed to easily pop out the jig on the second. (also a 9)  At that point I just jigged for perch, though I caught some beautiful, small seeds, and a few more nice gills. Between me and my buddies, we have released way more big gills than we have kept; it will be interesting to see what size that year class reaches by next winter. Last night, and tonight's dinner, minus the last min perch, caught shortly before dark.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.