Author Topic: 1 Lb test line and small jigs for finicky gills  (Read 25811 times)

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: 1 Lb test line and small jigs for finicky gills
« Reply #30 on: Jan 31, 2008, 06:04 PM »
Nice Bass. One thing many don't do is to make sure all remnants of paint are out of the eye and don't wrench a clinch knot down on it. Let mine hang in a small loop, better action and less stress on the line. Have learned to back reel over the years, one drop of water frozen in the wrong place can cost you with even a great drag. Thankfully only top notch manufacturers make tiny jigs, quality ultra sharp fine hooks is essential. Pinching the barbs doesn't hurt either, easier penatration and let their pulling keep tension.

Offline Piggyn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Feb 10, 2008, 12:58 PM »
I have switched to 1 lb line on my spinning reels exclusively.  You'd be surprised how much a UL rod has to bend before the line will break.  I do put new line on regularly, though.

I fill my ice reels about half full with heavier line.  After filling up a bass reel with 10 lb mono in the summer there's always a little left over on the spool, and what good is 20 yds of 10 lb test?  I wind that onto my ice reels, partially filling them, so then it won't take nearly as much 1 lb line to fill the reel.  This enables me to put fresh line on a reel 3 different times with 1 spool.  Instead of putting the full 100-110 yards, it only takes 30-35 yards.  It wastes less line and saves me money, all while allowing me to keep more fresh line on my reels.
Catching the lunkers of tomorrow today!

Offline crappieloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • nnnnn......Ice
« Reply #32 on: Feb 10, 2008, 08:29 PM »
I just reposted this a year later if anyone ??? didn't see it before.

Very good piggyn, but all you really need is 1# leader of 4 to 6 feet. Actually I have broken my favroite 9'' Miro rod in 2 pieces using 1# line :o
crappieloo

Offline Piggyn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Feb 12, 2008, 05:43 PM »
If you use a heavier main line you're going to be sacrificing sensitivity, and you can't get your jigs back down as fast.
Catching the lunkers of tomorrow today!

Offline crappieloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • nnnnn......Ice
« Reply #34 on: Feb 12, 2008, 05:56 PM »
You guys have to realize you DO NOT need sensitivity while icefishing!!! You are not casting out and blindly draging a 1/8 or 1/4 oz. jig on the bottom.
'' Sensitivity'' is what sells high priced ice rods to people who think they need them. Sure I use 2 or 3 times heaver main line and it may take .05 of a second to get down there but who cares.

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Feb 12, 2008, 06:12 PM »
In order to take full advantage of light line, you need sensitivity. Yes, you can still catch fish with a stout rod, but to keep from snapping your line on the hook set, and to allow the spring action like a noodle rod to take the shock without breaking the line, you need sensitivity.

Also, with these super sensitive rods there is no need for a strike indicator. You instead watch how the last coil of line comes off the leading eye. If it tightens, set the hook, if it loosens, set the hook, if it acts weird, set the hook, when in doubt set the hook.

This tell tale sign is evident way before a stiff rod with a strike indicator can transmit a take. Light line teamed properly with a UL rod will be flimsy enough to make a better strike indicator than an ink pen spring like I use to use.

The proper light rod will enable you to get rid of the heavy 2-4 pound test mainline that is obsolete with a proper drag/rod/light line combo. If you break a rod with one pound, then you did not set the drag properly, or were into the heavy backing you use, this would not have happened most likely with properly matched equipment.

Light line is not for everyone. It takes practice, patience and persistence and matched equipment. But once one becomes proficient in its use, the skyis the limit. Catch rates increase, come quicker and the average size increases bythe ability of light line to nab line shy Gillasauruses or Pannies that do not appreciate the action that is thwarted by heavier line making a jig presentation less than natural.

JMO.

RL

Offline crappieloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • nnnnn......Ice
« Reply #36 on: Feb 12, 2008, 06:26 PM »
I need to clarify. First my 2 or 3 lb. goat rope mostly doesnt go more than 1 foot underwater and sometimes never goes under. With a 4 to 5 foot 1# or less leader Is all i need to get down at most times. By ''sensitive'' it means you can sense the fish inhaling the jig. Ya sure not in my shack. The reason for me(and the original question) going to 1# or less was I was not getting any bites with heaver line.
Also my rods are not ''sensitive'' but short ''noodle'' glass rods. I have broke 1 of them off at the handle with1# line and sill got the fish.
Maybe Im doing it wrong but I like the results.

Peace :)
crappieloo

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Feb 13, 2008, 07:45 AM »
Peace loo  ;) :tipup:

Offline Quack_Attack

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #38 on: Feb 18, 2008, 09:55 AM »
You guys have to realize you DO NOT need sensitivity while icefishing!!! You are not casting out and blindly draging a 1/8 or 1/4 oz. jig on the bottom.
'' Sensitivity'' is what sells high priced ice rods to people who think they need them. Sure I use 2 or 3 times heaver main line and it may take .05 of a second to get down there but who cares.

???  ???  ???

When sight fishin' I agree ya don't need a sensitive rod just watch 'em suck it in and set the hook. But many waters I fish the Gills are suspended in 20' -35' of water, IMO a good sensitive rod and vigilant line watching are going to get ya more fish while tightlining. I like being able to feel that tiny jig while pounding in 15+ fow, and that litte tap as they suck it in. Not all rods will allow ya to do that. Noodle rods and spring bobbers can be a help a detecting bites with a less sensitive rod, but I have better lure control and feel tightlining with a sensitive rod.

Just my way and you got yours.  :)

"If a man is standing in the middle of a forest speaking and there is no woman around to hear him...is he still wrong?"
- - George Carlin

Offline crappieloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • nnnnn......Ice
« Reply #39 on: Feb 18, 2008, 09:23 PM »
???  ???  ???

When sight fishin' I agree ya don't need a sensitive rod just watch 'em suck it in and set the hook. But many waters I fish the Gills are suspended in 20' -35' of water, IMO a good sensitive rod and vigilant line watching are going to get ya more fish while tightlining. I like being able to feel that tiny jig while pounding in 15+ fow, and that litte tap as they suck it in. Not all rods will allow ya to do that. Noodle rods and spring bobbers can be a help a detecting bites with a less sensitive rod, but I have better lure control and feel tightlining with a sensitive rod.

Just my way and you got yours.  :)

What I said pertained to my type of fishing because I use mittens alot. Also the subject ''1 lb test line and small jigs for finicky gills'' had a lot to do with it. When using 1# or less I use very small jigs and no matter how ''sensitive'' your rod is you would never ''feel'' the fish take the bait.
The finicky fish are just that,finicky. The jig doesnt have enough weight to load my spring bobber not to mention straighten out the memory coils in my line!! All which are a good thing.If I was to not concentrate on my line and wait to feel the bite I couldn't catch anything.
These are presured fish and very smart it takes alot of work to get them to bite. When they do take it they gentley suck it in and then try to expell it.
Tough huh?

Offline gillkiller1125

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ahhhh.......... Ice
« Reply #40 on: Feb 22, 2008, 04:55 PM »
I have one pound test on both of my jigging poles, and I love it!!!!!! My Gander Mountain special has survived 3 fishing trips catching 300 or better fish without the line breaking (until last week but that was my fault). On my Ice-blues rod i have the 4 pound that came spooled on it as "fill line" and 50 yards of 1LB after that, and that hasn't broke either also catching 300+ fish each time (not keeping them all of course)
Kids who hunt, fish, and trap, don't mug little old ladies.
Good luck, and tight lines to all.
Official Stomach of the MIRC

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Feb 22, 2008, 04:59 PM »
Awesome eh bud!!! I'll never leave home without my ice blues and 1# or sewing thread lines!! ;)

Offline gillkiller1125

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ahhhh.......... Ice
« Reply #42 on: Feb 22, 2008, 05:01 PM »
Awesome eh bud!!! I'll never leave home without my ice blues and 1# or sewing thread lines!! ;)
Ya I love that little rod!!! Does the sewing thread work good??

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Feb 22, 2008, 05:04 PM »
Ya I love that little rod!!! Does the sewing thread work good??

Works better than one. Wait till you master one, then carry one rod with it. When one is too heavy or the bite really slows, swith-a-roo. It can snare some of the biggest gills in the system!!! But patience is a virtue withit, and a smooth smooth smooth drag!!

Offline crappieloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • nnnnn......Ice
« Reply #44 on: Feb 22, 2008, 09:38 PM »
I have one pound test on both of my jigging poles, and I love it!!!!!! My Gander Mountain special has survived 3 fishing trips catching 300 or better fish without the line breaking (until last week but that was my fault). On my Ice-blues rod i have the 4 pound that came spooled on it as "fill line" and 50 yards of 1LB after that, and that hasn't broke either also catching 300+ fish each time (not keeping them all of course)
gillkiller, your doin it!! Way to go. Thats what it is all about. We also rip those tough bite bulls right up when guys useing goat rope 2#,3# and 4# never get a look.   :tipup:

crappieloo

Offline gillkiller1125

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ahhhh.......... Ice
« Reply #45 on: Feb 23, 2008, 10:03 AM »
 >:( >:( >:( >:( I was mad this morning, me and the old lady went grociery shopping, so i decided to go to the sporting goods section to see if they had any ice rods left, i got the last one there, but i had to get 2LB for it, i guess it'll have to do for now.

Offline arcticcatz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Jan 11, 2010, 04:13 PM »
I also use ice blues and sewing thread. I have it on 2 poles and I have 1# on my other pole. This year I got a 5#  largmouth on my 36" iceblue with thread. I love it!

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Jan 15, 2010, 04:13 PM »
I've never fished line below 1#; but tying 2# onto 2.5mm Fiskas is enough challenge for me ;D
Bulls, Jumbos & Slabs Oh My!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.