Author Topic: For Us College Students  (Read 3659 times)

Offline adkbrookie

• Team IceShanty Addict
For Us College Students
« on: Oct 12, 2007, 11:24 PM »
just tried out cooking perch in a microwave tonight and it wasn't too bad ;D. have been missing having real fish here at college >:(. our dorm kitchen only has a microwave so i'm stuck with that. cooked about four fillets at a time in a bowl with butter and bread crumbs. took 2:25 - 2:75 to cook. watch out if you don't cover it well, the fillets tend to pop a lot near the end, spraying the bread all over the microwave.

thought that this might help someone else get their fish fix. does anybody have any sort of different recipe for this kind of thing?
"If fishing is interfering with your business, give up your business."  - Sparse Grey Hackle

"I wait. Now the night flows back, the mighty stillness embraces and includes me; I can see the stars again and the world of starlight. I am twenty miles or more from the nearest fellow human, but instead of loneliness I feel loveliness. Loveliness and a quiet exultation." - Ed Abbey

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
Re: For Us College Students
« Reply #1 on: Oct 13, 2007, 11:19 AM »
Put your fillets on a plate with butter , lemon juice and whatever you want for seasonings, cover it with a cling wrap and microwave on high for about three minutes. This works well for Walleye and you may have to adjust run time for Perch since the fillets are thinner. You could always put two layers of Perch on the plate to be close to the thickness of a Walleye fillet. Give it a try and you might like it. Lots of people rave about the way it tastes.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline nd.walleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Is there such a thing as a bad day of fishing?
« Reply #2 on: Oct 13, 2007, 11:21 AM »
Thats how most bar/grill type joints will make their "steamed cod" - little butter, parsly and nuke it till the flesh is just flaking apart... good stuff. :)

Offline vermonner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Take me to your icefishing leader
« Reply #3 on: Oct 13, 2007, 10:12 PM »
how about the ole coleman stove on the tailgate in the parking lot?  that's how we used to do it since we couldn't cook in our rooms.  Prep your perch/crappie/bluegill and make all ready for frying to minimize cold time in the parking lot.  Place a bet that the guy who catches the least has to do the cooking.

The employment of effort, hard work, time, and energy put in locating fish will offend noone.

chimo

« Reply #4 on: Oct 13, 2007, 10:48 PM »
I've been lucky, I haven't had to worry about that.  Used a electric frying pan while I was in the barracks and I haven't been in a dorm yet.  I'll have to remember that for one of those days I'm feeling lazy though.  Good fishing

chimo

Offline Stump Puller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Oct 15, 2007, 07:52 AM »
I like the
coleman stove on the tailgate deal, never was one for nukin' food, just don't sound or taste right to me.
Be safe out there, and set the iron.

Offline bear

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Oct 16, 2007, 09:49 AM »
Would you be able to use one of those little Fry Daddies in your dorm? They are very handy and take up little space. bear

Offline SPARKYICE

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Oct 16, 2007, 10:48 AM »
nuke it!
single layer on a plate, butter, lemon pepper, little salt, cover with another plate.
start with 3 min. don't over cook it.
perch, walleye, haddock, cod...all good like this.
no mess, no fuss- i'll never eat fried fish again.
grandpa told me-"never wrestle with a pig. you both get muddy and the pig likes it".

Offline Walltrout

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Oct 16, 2007, 12:52 PM »
You could always boil ling filets in one of those little plug in pots used for making soup (can't think of their name right now) and then melt some butter to dip them in.  They call it poor man's lobster.

"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong."  John Giera

Offline MacEnvy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 06, 2007, 03:28 PM »
You could always boil ling filets in one of those little plug in pots used for making soup (can't think of their name right now) and then melt some butter to dip them in.  They call it poor man's lobster.

Crappies work great like this too.  It actually is reminiscent of lobster.

Offline John_BZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 06, 2007, 11:15 PM »
we where lucky enough to have some grills outside of the dorms but you would be surprised what could be cooked inside a pizza oven !

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.