Author Topic: Spoon storage foam  (Read 3652 times)

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Spoon storage foam
« on: Oct 15, 2017, 11:33 PM »
I have what some people would see as way too many spoons and the best way I've found to store them is the clam spoon box with the foam in it. It's kind of bulky and I'm almost out of room. So what I'm wondering is has anyone found the foam they use somewhere and made their own box or what are some creative ways people have found for storing their ice fishing spoons?

Offline huntsfurfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Spoon storage foam
« Reply #1 on: Oct 16, 2017, 12:42 AM »
Large fly boxes work and good prices when on sale.

Offline buuddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Oct 16, 2017, 03:48 AM »
You may be able to find the foam you need from old discarded upholstery, they use it in the seats and cushions.

Offline javabone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Oct 16, 2017, 05:30 AM »
I just went through this over the past week.  I came up with cutting strips of sill plate gasket (home depot/Menards, etc.) Into strips to do fit my box about 1.5" wide.  I layered them in on their side.  I can put spoons in anywhere between the strips and they stay secure.  Hope that makes sense.  I can try to get picture on here later.

Offline javabone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Oct 16, 2017, 05:31 AM »
Here is another pic for reference.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #5 on: Oct 16, 2017, 06:18 AM »
I just went through this over the past week.  I came up with cutting strips of sill plate gasket (home depot/Menards, etc.) Into strips to do fit my box about 1.5" wide.  I layered them in on their side.  I can put spoons in anywhere between the strips and they stay secure.  Hope that makes sense.  I can try to get picture on here later.

Looks like a great idea. I will have to set up a section of one of my boxes to give it a shot, thanks!
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline trundog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Oct 16, 2017, 06:21 AM »

That is a slick idea!  Thanks

Offline BH2

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Dont wish your life away!
« Reply #7 on: Oct 16, 2017, 07:06 AM »
Great idea!! Gonna try that myself!!

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Oct 16, 2017, 09:38 AM »
Thanks javabone, I'll have to check that out. It should help get all my spoons in a smaller box or use the same box and buy a few more  ;D

Offline JaminWI

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Oct 16, 2017, 09:38 AM »
Same here.  My spoon collection is getting out of control and as much as I'd like to stick with the smaller boxes...it ain't working.  I'm going to try the sill gasket trick as a cheap solution. Thanks for that!

Offline cwavs1982

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Oct 16, 2017, 09:44 AM »
Thanks Java for the idea.  I have always had my spoons stored in those regular plastic boxes, and they were always getting wrecked and scratched.  I like your idea.  The only other way I had was to put them in my small jig box, but they really were too big for that. 
I do hunt, and I do fish, and I don't apologize to anybody for hunting and fishing - Norman Schwarzkopf

Offline javabone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Oct 16, 2017, 12:59 PM »
You all are welcome, glad you think it's a good idea.  I originally used a latching plastic storage box, it worked fine.  Then I found the extra deep Plano box at bass pro.  I think it will work great.  I think I'm going to make one of the sections a little smaller and put the divider in so I can put a few other things in it, extra trebles, swivels etc.  This deeper one holds my large slender spoons no problem.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Oct 16, 2017, 01:38 PM »
What's the advantage of having the the foam? I have mine is a small tote just flopping loose, never bothered me.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Oct 16, 2017, 02:37 PM »
Depends on how many you have and the size. Small panfish/crappie sized spoons probably won't ding each other up too bad but larger 1/8-1/4 ounce spoons can really wreck each others paint/finish. Also if you have a whole bunch of them keeping them untangled and being able to pick what size and color you want quickly is easier if you have them organized in the foam. I have somewhere around 90 spoons i couldn't imagine finding the one i want in a regular box

Offline JaminWI

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Oct 16, 2017, 04:28 PM »
You're lucky you found blue sill gasket.  I can only find pink at my local Menards and Home Depot.  Now, am I man enough to rock pink??? I know I'm going to hear it from my LOTW crew this season... :whistle:

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Oct 16, 2017, 05:43 PM »
Lol!!!  ;D

Offline javabone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Oct 16, 2017, 06:13 PM »
You're lucky you found blue sill gasket.  I can only find pink at my local Menards and Home Depot.  Now, am I man enough to rock pink??? I know I'm going to hear it from my LOTW crew this season... :whistle:

Yeah, I'm not secure enough to do the pink...thank God my builder left a couple blue rolls behind.  I'm sure you can pull it off though  ;D.  Let me knw how it goes and the improvements you make to this idea.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Oct 16, 2017, 06:19 PM »
I store every thing from large salmon spoons Like Loco and stinger spoons  etc the 4.5 to 5 inches to wee little guys like slender spoons 1 inch long.. on these, there a basic foam pannel with a vyinal cover over the trebles so they don't stick to other stuff.I use the lure luger and foam pads for spoons there is even a spare storage pocket on the lure luger bag for storing small jigs hooks shots swivels etc.. . if you jig for smelt with sabiki type rigs there harNess tenders hide the hooks so you don't get stuck and a 50 hook sabiki  rig is perfectly stored on them harness tenders..

The only thing I have not been able to use lure luger for is rapala jigging raps they just don't stick in the foam right.. so be warned.. but walleye salmon etc spoon they work awesome..

Link to lure lugers.. and harNess tenders..
http://www.bigpapasportfishing.com/products.htm

Offline javabone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Oct 16, 2017, 09:37 PM »
Depends on how many you have and the size. Small panfish/crappie sized spoons probably won't ding each other up too bad but larger 1/8-1/4 ounce spoons can really wreck each others paint/finish. Also if you have a whole bunch of them keeping them untangled and being able to pick what size and color you want quickly is easier if you have them organized in the foam. I have somewhere around 90 spoons i couldn't imagine finding the one i want in a regular box

Amen!

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #19 on: Oct 17, 2017, 06:13 AM »
I've used the closed cell foam that most electronics are packed in. Cut a block to fit your box and used the tip of a fillet knife to start a hole. Free and easy...

To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
« Reply #20 on: Oct 17, 2017, 10:49 AM »
Love the idea, as I wrestle with this also, but how do you see which spoon is which if they are jammed down in the foam and you cant see the body?

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Oct 17, 2017, 02:40 PM »
I leave the top of the spoon sticking out just enough to have an idea of what color it is. Its not perfect but its the best way I've seen for storing them.

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Oct 17, 2017, 04:06 PM »
http://customjigs.com/products/rose-creek-polar-boxes.html

I plan to get one of these this year to try it out. I like how compact it is compared to the plano or clam boxes. Seems like a pretty good design.
Da Pack!

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #23 on: Oct 17, 2017, 06:22 PM »
Love the idea, as I wrestle with this also, but how do you see which spoon is which if they are jammed down in the foam and you cant see the body?

I leave the top of the spoon sticking out just enough to have an idea of what color it is. Its not perfect but its the best way I've seen for storing them.

It works very well that way. If you've got to see the whole thing to make a choice you've got too much stuff....  ;)2 I also organize by style and size.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Oct 17, 2017, 06:41 PM »
I store every thing from large salmon spoons Like Loco and stinger spoons  etc the 4.5 to 5 inches to wee little guys like slender spoons 1 inch long.. on these, there a basic foam pannel with a vyinal cover over the trebles so they don't stick to other stuff.I use the lure luger and foam pads for spoons there is even a spare storage pocket on the lure luger bag for storing small jigs hooks shots swivels etc.. . if you jig for smelt with sabiki type rigs there harNess tenders hide the hooks so you don't get stuck and a 50 hook sabiki  rig is perfectly stored on them harness tenders..

The only thing I have not been able to use lure luger for is rapala jigging raps they just don't stick in the foam right.. so be warned.. but walleye salmon etc spoon they work awesome..

Link to lure lugers.. and harNess tenders..
http://www.bigpapasportfishing.com/products.htm

Looks like big poppa stopped making lure lugers.. here is a company that sells the same thing and more versions of it.. like a jig  pad and walleye spoon pad etc..  check them out at this link..  by the way yes you can view your spoon color pattern with these style pads..

https://amishoutfitters.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=8&zenid=82b1bee2241d69423f92a0d2a1e64fd1

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Oct 17, 2017, 07:39 PM »
It works very well that way. If you've got to see the whole thing to make a choice you've got too much stuff....  ;)2 I also organize by style and size.

i might have too many but it sure beats not enough  ;D

Offline mushroom_capd_1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Oct 18, 2017, 03:35 PM »
http://customjigs.com/products/rose-creek-polar-boxes.html

I plan to get one of these this year to try it out. I like how compact it is compared to the plano or clam boxes. Seems like a pretty good design.
They are awesome for packing light. I can fit roughly 28 spoons in the spoon box and 14 spoons and a bunch of jigs in the combo box and that is more than enough for a day or two of fishing. I like the idea with the sill foam!
It's just too big and bulky for me to drag along everything I have nowadays so I leave most of it home and only bring what I need for whatever I'm targeting.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.