Author Topic: Burbot...  (Read 9880 times)

Offline Trevor

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Burbot...
« on: Nov 24, 2002, 03:51 PM »
Well, I can't tell you too much about these mysterious fish.
As far as I know not much is written about them either, as it is only recently that they have caught on as a sportfish.  I have caught them while jigging spoons tipped with minnow heads for other species.  One thing I can tell you is they don't spook easily.  I've bonked them on the head with my lure only to watch them turn and inhale it.  

I think they are typically a deep water species.  Although most of the ones I caught through the ice(which wasn't many) have come in about ten feet of water, just adjacent to the main lake basin....

There was a good article in In-Fisherman's 1999 Ice Fishing Guide(page 92)...

gator

Re: Burbot...
« Reply #1 on: Nov 29, 2002, 05:30 PM »
burbot are the most fun fish to catch you go out at night  in 6 to 10 feet off water oversand bottom  with a jig and minnow  you will have more fun and fish than you can handel   p.s. a bottle of rum helps to keep the chill off at night .
stay on the dry side of the ice ;)

Schmittay789

« Reply #2 on: Dec 02, 2002, 10:00 AM »
I have a buddy that fish's for them and thats all he goes after on winnebago. Usually they are in from 5-10 feet of water right off the islands off of wendts. we couldnt get out there last year cause of crappy ice, but this year he assured me that we would slay em.  He said that youll never have more fun ice fishing until you fish for lawyers!

BushMaster

« Reply #3 on: Dec 04, 2002, 09:37 AM »
Poor man's Lobster they say... Haven't eaten them but I can sure tell you how to catch them. Night is right for chasin' Pout. Glow jigs bounced literally on the bottom tipped with a minnow or minnow head will do the trick. I have caught them in depts of 6 feet to over 100 feet. Once while fishing on a Canadian Trout lake at night I caught several 'Pout over six pounds in 100 feet of water. A Canadian Freind of mine was extremely excited to take these fish off my hands. These fish tend to travel in small schools.

They are a blast to catch but, don't just leave them on the ice when you are done. Release them, Eat them or give them to someone who will use them. ;)

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 04, 2002, 07:19 PM »
Bushmaster,  It's funny that you mention leaving the fish on the ice.  When I was a kid, my pops and all his buddies used to "curse" the lowly "Lawyer".  In Central Wisconsin they seemed to be the scurge of the food chain.  Lots of fishermen used to toss them on the ice and leave them for waste.  "Maybe" it was because they didn't look good? "Maybe" because they came from water that looked like pea soup, (Winnebago, Butte des Mortes, Poygan chains) and folks didn't want to stick a fork in em'?  "Maybe" they just looked too ugly to take a hook out of and didn't want to touch them?  I don't know, but in Alaska they have quite a following to include myself!  They taste quite a bit like lobster, and they're pretty easy to catch in the dark, (making them a favorite prey for some of us since it gets dark around 2:00 PM this time of year.)   I gotta' say anyone debating the quality of the Burbots flesh should give them a try?  They are a pretty tasty fish!  As for palitability, they put other bottom feeders to shame! (Not that I make it a habit to eat Carp, Sheephead, or Catfish.)  Good Stuff!!!
TEAM ALASKA

BushMaster

« Reply #5 on: Dec 05, 2002, 04:39 AM »
Barley dog, what part of alaska are you in? What do you fish through the ice for mainly? Funny, I never heard the name Lawyer until I started fishing Canada. The locals would say " Oh *&$%#@ it's a lawyer, can I have him". You mention eating carp, I haven't done that either but I have started fishing for them in the past couple years. I live in the Minneapolis Suburbs and we have Lake Minnetonka which is an outstanding multi species lake. It is a very heavily used body of water and has a huge population of carp. My brother lives on the lake and one day I get a call from him to come over. He has found the answer to our "Lake Trout" fever. Well, we spent four hours fishing off his dock drinking beer and having a blast. We caught over twenty carp from 10 lbs to 30lbs. Wow, what a fight!!! We did release them all, still can't bring myself to eat them. It's hard when you can go out and get an easy meal of Walleye's.

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 05, 2002, 08:20 PM »
Bushmaster,  I live outside the Fairbanks are about 20 miles south west of the city.  GREAT fishing for a variety of different fish that are relatively easy to catch.  We mainly fish for Rainbows, Artic Char, Landlocked silver salmon, Lake Trout, Humpback Whitefish, Burbot, Grayling, and my favorite Pike.  I started the ice fishing season about 4 weeks ago on some of the areas smaller lakes, since they froze up first.  We have had unseasonal weather up here and the ice formed REALLY late!  We have about 14" on most of the smaller lakes and a couple on the big ones.  I try to fish every weekend if it's above -10.  FIshing is pretty fast and furious if you know what your doing and have a portable shanty!  THe real problem is fishing in only a couple hours of daylight this time of year.  Anyways, I may have misled you with the last post, I have never eaten a Carp, (except for smoked, the old timers back home make one mean hickory smoked carp that is excellent!).  I have eaten some strange things in my life but can't bring myself to eat a Carp.  I guess if someone showed me how to fix them so they taste like Halibut, I'd eat it!   Laywer was the name they used to call it when we fished in old Lake Winne-septic.  We rarely ate Walleye out of the lake not less alone Burbot!  I certainly hope it's been cleaned up after years of abuse.   The Minneapolis area has some excellent small lakes around the metro area, at least it used too right?  I used to fish on my uncles creek that ran through his farm outside River falls Wis.  Was great for Brown Trout!   :)  
TEAM ALASKA

BushMaster

« Reply #7 on: Dec 06, 2002, 04:49 AM »
Barley Dog, Sounds like you live in ice fishing heaven, long season, lots of fish. How thick does the ice get by season end? I have fished Grayling in the NWT on Dubawnt river and Dubawnt lake in open water with a fly rod. What an awsome fish! We have caught them up to three pounds! I caught my largest Lake trout on Mosquito lake (NWT) 50lbs, again open water. I love Lakers through the ice!!!! I fish NW Ontario a great deal in the winter. The Metro area has some great little lakes. I was out yesterday testing the ice and we have about 5 inches on most lakes. I will be sliding my shack out today on the lake I live by. The Walleye's are not easy to catch, but they run nice when you do. I have a portable I use for my serious fishing. The DNR here has been stocking Rainbows, Browns and Brook trout in some of our two teir lakes. They can be great fun in the winter. By the way, now that you mention it, I have eaten smoked carp... But I had my beer goggles on.

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 06, 2002, 04:35 PM »
Bushmaster,  Beer goggles eh! Hahaha!  You know that I admire the fact that you have fished Carp, and admit it!  Really, I think any fish creates a challenge.  I figure it this way, the more multi-species fish you can catch on a regular basis the better fisherman you really are.  I love the fact that one day I can fly fish for Grayling with a #20 Midge pattern and turn around and fish King Salmon with a Magnum Wiggle Wart!  If you can catch a variety of fish consistantly, that makes you a  good fishermen!  This is of coarse is the ramblings of a guy who dislikes the bass masters!  These guys are good at catching one fish, but put them on the ice and let's see them work eh?  O.K. Enough rambling, you asked how deep of ice?  Well I need an extension for the auger come late season.  The ice is usually thick, but this year may be different.  It's warm here and I love it!  Going fishing for Pike Saturday and look forward to 25-35 degree weather!  Thank the lord for global warming!  Hey you may want to buy some land up here in Alaska, when Minnesota is a desert and our climate is comparible to yours, you can still fish up here in your sweatshirt.  I envy your 50 lb. Laker!  The biggest I had caught was 35 lb. in Lake Superior way back when.  We have a couple of lakes for laker fishing, and I will get to them when the ice forms up enough.  Have you fished the boundry water areas much?  How about Ice fishing them?  I was always curious if the boundry waters were a good fishing area in the winter.  Had some good times in the summer there.   Hey I will update this weekends catch when the day is done!  Don't catch them all bushmaster.  -Barleydog
TEAM ALASKA

BushMaster

« Reply #9 on: Dec 07, 2002, 05:46 AM »
Barley Dog, You know when you are having warm weather in Alaska, we have cold. This year is the earliest I have put my big shack on the lake. A full threes weeks ahead of last year! Went out last night and snagged a few nice crappies. Walleye's were elusive, had one on but he wasn't hooked very good and lost him at the hole. I'll chase 'em this weekend.
I have never fish the BWCA in the Winter. I always go past that into Ontario and fish from Souix Narrows to the Manitou and everything in between. Mostly chase Lake Trout, but have found some excellent Walleye and giant Crappies. I got into Crappies last year that ran from 1 to 2 1/2 lbs, all huge!

Good luck this weekend! Don't forget to give me an update on your catch!!

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 07, 2002, 04:57 PM »
Bushmaster,
Well Saturday was fun.  Took a work partner and his son out fishing for Pike.  Got about 10 flags and lost about 4 of them including a monster that had to go 16-17 lbs.  He wouldn't cooperate with the newbee we had along and ended up cutting the Flourocarbon leader at the hole >:( .  All was not lost since the little guy is now hooked on ice fishing after bagging a couple 4-5 pounders and a half dozen hammer handles.  I did catch one fish that was fat and short.  He was a 10 lb. 31" Pike that had feed heavily on the summer stocked grayling!  I had a great day since the weather cooperated with beautiful 23 degree weather.  I hope your weather stays nice and cold for ya.  We would love a mild winter, but know the bad stuff is around the corner.  Keep the reports posted, I miss the midwest panfish/ walleye fisheries.  Crappies are a blast!  Fish On!  Barleydog :'(
TEAM ALASKA

BushMaster

« Reply #11 on: Dec 10, 2002, 05:22 AM »
Barleydog, Sounds like you had a great time! I had a pretty good weekend myself. The Walleye's were biting very lightly, really had to play with them to catch them. I picked up Four Eye's Saturday night and about a half dozen nice Crappies. Usually I only get Walleye's in the spot I'm in. Sunday night I picked up two more Walleye's and another half dozen Crappies!

The Crappies are running bigger this year than last year. No big Eye's yet, but these are running about 1 1/2 lbs mmmmmm good eats!

I'm going to have to pursue those Crappies more, this is shaping up to be a good year for them.

Well, the forecast for this week is in the upper 30's low 40's so that should put you back in the fridge eh.

I'll keep ya posted!

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm keeping my eye on you guys.....
« Reply #12 on: Jan 01, 2003, 09:26 PM »
Burbot :o One of the best fish out there in my books. Can't get better fish &  chips ;) I usually set-line for them at night in 5 to 15 ft of water. Go out to local lake, get fire going in cabin go set the lines. have supper. Check them every 2-3hrs thru night or depending on when the beer you are drinking is done. Excellent in fondue dipped in butter. Brought in the new year  last year this way. Lots of fun.

JBarker

« Reply #13 on: Jan 06, 2003, 03:08 PM »
can anyone tell me how to clean these fish. I was told I could clean them like a waleye, then I was told to clean them like a barbutt, then I was told there is a special way to clean them. I am very confused but would like to try 'em. any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thx in advance JB!

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #14 on: Jan 07, 2003, 04:30 PM »
JB,
I have only cleaned about a dozen of them and you can use either the standard fillet method, (like a walleye) or skin it like a catfish.  If you skin them, start by making a cut all the way around the head.  Next, grab a pliers and grip the loose skin on the fillet end, (below the head), and hold the head with your other hand.  Pull the pliers opposite of the head and the skin will pull off all the way past the tail.  Next, gut, de-head, and cut all other fins off of the Burbot.  If the fish is big enough, filleting it can be a good option.  A little known trick on filleting slimy fish like Burbot is to soak a rag in vinegar and wipe the fish down with it.  Good Luck- Barleydog
TEAM ALASKA

Offline waterwolfed

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • whoolNutBalls
« Reply #15 on: Jan 13, 2003, 02:42 PM »
do burbot look like dogfish?

Offline JT

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Eat Fish Hunt Tattoo
« Reply #16 on: Feb 05, 2003, 02:26 PM »
No.
myspace.com/tat2byjt

Scott_Wright

« Reply #17 on: Feb 07, 2003, 07:41 AM »
new england sportsman has a picture of them on their website. Just go to nesportsman.com and click on fish species, then click on cusk. front end looks like a hornpout, back end looks like an eel.

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Take what you want from what i post.
Re:Burbot...
« Reply #18 on: Jul 27, 2003, 08:38 PM »
The guys ive seen who catch em regular have what they call a Ling board outside their shantys. With that they Nail the Lings head to the Board then Use the method listed just before my post with the plier method. This way the head is secure . Some people say to let the Buggers freeze a lil so that the skin peels better, Try differnt ways to u get something u like:>
Please don't take offense to Germ's |Posts they are in no way shape or Form ...Ment to discredit or Discourage any other peoples post's..Please take Germ with a grain of salt and Rememeber it is all ment in good fun and if you Would like something changed on a post of mine mesage me ill fix it

grumpymoe

« Reply #19 on: Dec 10, 2003, 10:39 AM »
bushmaster--you mention sioux narrows ontario and was wondering if (you must have) fished one of my all-time favourite lakes--crow (kakagi) ???

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 10, 2003, 05:29 PM »
Where in New York can these fish be found?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.