The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Anyone going to fish on Saturday?  (Read 1785 times)

Offline GNFISHIN

• IceShanty Rookie
Anyone going to fish on Saturday?
« on: Feb 02, 2023, 10:28 PM »
I am headed out, it’s been quite a while since I fished in 20 below. Going to give it our best shot. Be smart and  Stay safe if you’re headed out there.
It's fishing, not catching....

Offline catchacold

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Anyone going to fish on Saturday?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 02, 2023, 11:51 PM »
The wind would keep me away more than anything. Last year on a -20 windy day on moosehead I had a problem getting my ice screws in for the tent. Like I couldn't get them started no matter how hard I tried (four of them were brand new). After a fun hour of trying that in a few spots I gave up for the day. Just something to keep in mind. Weird crap happens when it's that cold. Good luck.

Offline GNFISHIN

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 03, 2023, 05:34 AM »
Weird, I’ve never had that problem. do you have the drill attachment to put the ice anchors in? But you are correct, strange things do happen when it’s that cold.

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #3 on: Feb 03, 2023, 06:00 AM »
I think NOT! Tuesday looks like the day!!!
"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 03, 2023, 06:14 AM »
I am headed out, it’s been quite a while since I fished in 20 below. Going to give it our best shot. Be smart and  Stay safe if you’re headed out there.
Sorry but Why would you
Thats Why They Call It Fishing.

Offline darby74

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 03, 2023, 06:19 AM »
In my younger days I probably would, but there's a reason Grizzlies stopped climbing trees when they get older ;D. All "tragedies" are a chain of events, the key is breaking that chain.  The break here should be the future forecast, but good luck

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 03, 2023, 06:37 AM »
We fished single digits below zero a couple years ago. No wind. It takes the fun out of it when the hole freezes while you try to skim the ice. Plus the fish die quick, or their eyes freeze, if you remove them from the water. Hard to release anything. But the beer does stay cold, so there's that.  :)

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 03, 2023, 06:44 AM »
Several years ago several of us fished up to Ross and it would be -20 - -25 in the mornings but not super windy.  It really wasn't that bad set up in the lee with a shorefire.  Too me in my old age, add wind and it takes the fun right out of it. :tipup:

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 03, 2023, 06:54 AM »
Several years ago several of us fished up to Ross and it would be -20 - -25 in the mornings but not super windy.  It really wasn't that bad set up in the lee with a shorefire.  Too me in my old age, add wind and it takes the fun right out of it. :tipup:

I hear ya fellow old timer. Winter of 78/79 I was at UMPI. There was a cold snap, -20's for a week. We went fishing on Squapan and Eagle and sat on buckets with no fire. I can't imagine doing that now.

Offline aquarium234

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 03, 2023, 07:06 AM »
I watch wind more then temperatures. I remember fishing in -12 felt warm setting tipups, then it warmed up to 3 degrees with a breeze, that felt way colder, drove the heat right out of ya.
Thank goodness for heated shanty's :-).
In cold weather I set the shanty first and get the heat going before getting holes started. Gotta make sure you have an option to warm up if something happens in those temps.
I certainly don't see out cold temps but if thats the week i'm on an ice fishing trip so be it. adjust fishing methods to match. -20 means jigging day in the shack to me.
Good luck
Its all fun and games until someone loses a walleye.......

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 03, 2023, 07:08 AM »
I hear ya fellow old timer. Winter of 78/79 I was at UMPI. There was a cold snap, -20's for a week. We went fishing on Squapan and Eagle and sat on buckets with no fire. I can't imagine doing that now.

I actually have some fraternity brothers at WG right now.  Old guys but prepared old guys. ;D  Another buddy in his 70's is up snowmobiling in the County, I'd much rather ride in this stuff than fish.

Offline Wallace3716

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 03, 2023, 07:37 AM »
I watch wind more then temperatures. I remember fishing in -12 felt warm setting tipups, then it warmed up to 3 degrees with a breeze, that felt way colder, drove the heat right out of ya.
Thank goodness for heated shanty's :-).
In cold weather I set the shanty first and get the heat going before getting holes started. Gotta make sure you have an option to warm up if something happens in those temps.
I certainly don't see out cold temps but if thats the week i'm on an ice fishing trip so be it. adjust fishing methods to match. -20 means jigging day in the shack to me.
Good luck

x2

Fished in -22 when it was sunny and not a breath of wind and it was a great day. 20 degrees and 40 mph winds are terrible conditions . -20 and 40 mph winds is dangerous.

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 03, 2023, 07:39 AM »
Better off to let fish grow 4 more days

Offline 413iceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 03, 2023, 07:53 AM »
Not fun trying to chip out cusk traps in this weather. Might take the sled out locally and ride restaurant to restaurant. Plenty of better fishing days ahead.

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 03, 2023, 08:00 AM »
I actually have some fraternity brothers at WG right now.  Old guys but prepared old guys. ;D  Another buddy in his 70's is up snowmobiling in the County, I'd much rather ride in this stuff than fish.

Love the County. Yessir, sledding weather today and tomorrow vs fishing IMO! Wish I could get up to camp, maybe in another week. Stuck south of the border at the moment.

Offline GNFISHIN

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 03, 2023, 08:59 AM »
So the general consensus is No… Saturday is my free day, so I’ll be sitting in my shack jigging.

Offline nbourque

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fish or die
« Reply #16 on: Feb 03, 2023, 09:32 AM »
Sorry but Why would you
Lol I’m with ya Wayne.

Offline Wago14

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Feb 03, 2023, 10:33 AM »
I think it depends on how much time you have to fish. I am gone for work 6 weeks at a time, so I try to take advantage of any free time I have when I am home.

2 years ago the first 2 days of my planned overnight trip on Moosehead were 0 to -15 ambient temps, the wind blew 50 the first night. I am always more than prepared, my shack has a 15k BTU Empire and is insulated like Farley on a twinkie binge, but I didn't sleep much listening to the roof of my shack wondering if at some point it might blow off... The wind is what makes cold turn to foolish in a hurry. Fishing in -25 with no wind is not bad at all, but -10 or -15 with a kicking wind makes it more of a chore.

Whatever you decide to do, be smart and be prepared. Do not ever turn your desire to fish into a call out for first responders because you were not ready for the real conditions.

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 03, 2023, 11:14 AM »
Whatever you decide to do, be smart and be prepared. Do not ever turn your desire to fish into a call out for first responders because you were not ready for the real conditions.

Good advice.

Offline Bosshog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 03, 2023, 12:05 PM »
20 below wind chill, been there, done that, don't ever have to do it again 😂
Bait goes on the hook... hook goes in the water...smelt is in the water...OUR SMELT!!!

Offline Kourcha

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 03, 2023, 12:55 PM »
You wont be the only one out there, I've done a lot of really cold windy days, My plan is to head out later saturday afternoon when the wind looks like its slowing down setup camp and overnight on the ice, When its that cold 99% of the time will be spent in the shack a day of jiggin but more importantly be setup for a good spot for sunday morning, Sundays temps look nice to me so I will plan to do most my fishing on sunday, The big thing about fishing cold windy days is be sure to go prepared If I didn't have a shack and heat I wouldn't bother, Stick to lakes you know the lake I fish the most I know very well, I know a few coves that for the most part get blocked by the wind and that will be my game plan

Offline EmeraldShiner

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Live on for those that have been lost.
« Reply #21 on: Feb 03, 2023, 03:40 PM »
Let the wind and cold on Saturday do it's thing, it will make more safe ice. Then go on Sunday when wind is under 10mph and Temps up into the 30's, sounds like a no brainer to me.  All things mechanical start breaking down in serious cold and the older you are the harder on your body.
In my experience one thing leads to another and the next thing you know you are in serious trouble which could have been avoided had you not thought you were 10' tall and bullet proof like in my younger days.

Offline darby74

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Feb 03, 2023, 08:20 PM »
Let the wind and cold on Saturday do it's thing, it will make more safe ice. Then go on Sunday when wind is under 10mph and Temps up into the 30's, sounds like a no brainer to me.  All things mechanical start breaking down in serious cold and the older you are the harder on your body.
In my experience one thing leads to another and the next thing you know you are in serious trouble which could have been avoided had you not thought you were 10' tall and bullet proof like in my younger days.
So true.  Done a lot of dumb things in my younger days.  When it's that cold with the wind, time doesn't slow down, it goes in fast forward,  and our brains can't focus.  Got stuck on a lake North of Bangor in college, 1 guy went to check his traps.  We left the tiny pop-up when he didn't come back.  He was 15 yards away in a ball, white-out got him turned around before he found a trap......it wasn't snowing, just the wind pushing snow.

Offline GNFISHIN

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Feb 03, 2023, 08:54 PM »
I appreciate all the comments. Yes, going on a lake We are familiar with and definitely prepared. I am well equipped for Arctic temperatures. If you’re going to go snowmobiling in these temperatures..  Not much different than snowmobiling to a heated ice shack. Except I’m going to eat better. Stay safe out there.

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Feb 04, 2023, 08:24 AM »
Better let those fish grow two more days thell be hungrier and bigger.

Offline GNFISHIN

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Feb 04, 2023, 09:34 PM »
We did pretty well. Managed a handful of fish, most didn’t come out of the hole. Kind of a fun day, I think. She was pretty rugged out there. once we were all set up and the sun was shining on us, it was manageable with a nice warm place to go.

Offline Kourcha

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Feb 05, 2023, 05:40 AM »
Glad to hear we did very well also, still out here got a bucket full of crappie and a midnight bow, setup great for today's bite

Offline Kourcha

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Feb 05, 2023, 07:40 AM »

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.