Author Topic: The end  (Read 2926 times)

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
The end
« on: Mar 13, 2019, 07:19 PM »
Well, it's all over for me.  I know someone is still standing on ice some ice in northern IN but yesterday afternoon was my last rodeo.  Since I was going alone I headed north to Steuben county and got on a lake that had a few other guys on it.  Struggled getting bit but not a suntan for the first few hours.  Never did get on a good bite.  Fish were in less than 15fow hugging the weeds with a few roamers up the water column.  Didn't seem to like the tungsten I've been running all season and finally settled on a purplish tungsten bead head fly.  Caught a good mess of nice gills and pigears.  Great way to end another season walking on water!!! 

Sorry, no sunset photos,  i was fishing pretty hard at that time.

Offline Scheu

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: The end
« Reply #1 on: Mar 13, 2019, 07:53 PM »

I got out for the last time as well yesterday. I was also in Steuben County. 6" to 7" of clear solid ice, once you got past the shoreline ice. Fished from 5 pm to 8 pm, thanks to daylight savings.
Finished the season with a nice mess of  gills and red ears. It has been a good ice fishing season, even though I never really found a good perch bite. Thought it would happen with this Feb / March ice.

Offline Hexagenia51

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Mar 14, 2019, 12:13 AM »
Way to go out with a bang so to speak! I quit the other day when I ran out of bait and couldn't get them to hit plastics. Oh well I had a good year,didn't get wet and caught all the gills I wanted to clean ! Hope to see you guys next ice season on the ice or the Shanty! Hex

Offline tater140

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 14, 2019, 06:11 AM »
Glad to hear ya got back on some ice after your trip down south. Looks like you had a good year. Now for some maumee action

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 14, 2019, 09:28 AM »
Yep, didn't think I was going to get back out.

Looks like Maumee is going to be more of a mess than usual.   Have to go though,  been wading since I had to be carried to the island.  Wouldn't feel right to miss Maumee even if I was just contributing to Clarence's retirement plan like last year!

Offline spencerville

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 14, 2019, 02:53 PM »
Ill be making my trios too, always say I'm gonna use the boat one of these years....

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Mar 14, 2019, 06:35 PM »
This might be the year, that ice over there is crazy.   Just been doing it sooo long I can't quit!!!

Offline hounds

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it were easy just anyone would do it !
« Reply #7 on: Mar 14, 2019, 07:13 PM »
I have enjoyed traveling to Maumee and trying my luck for the last 3 years.  Its a neat little place.

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Mar 14, 2019, 09:53 PM »
Never heard it described that way!

Offline Spooled85

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Mar 14, 2019, 10:15 PM »
Never heard it described that way!

Rite !? Most miserable thing I've ever done ! Was not fishing what do ever to me . I do that see how anyone could enjoy shoulder to shoulder guys snagging each other's lines and fish

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Mar 15, 2019, 07:58 AM »
Ditto, X2

Offline spencerville

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Mar 15, 2019, 08:06 AM »
Rite !? Most miserable thing I've ever done ! Was not fishing what do ever to me . I do that see how anyone could enjoy shoulder to shoulder guys snagging each other's lines and fish

True statments... however over the years I've learned to read the river better... I don't ever have anyone right beside me... I generally go  10 to 20 urds upstream of a line of guys. My bite is usually 10 feet in front of there feet...I never go home empty handed and the look on the faces of the guys down stream are priceless when your catching walleye right in front of them.

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Mar 15, 2019, 08:27 AM »
Drives me nuts when the guys "wade into the fish"!

Offline Jig_Head

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Mar 15, 2019, 10:58 AM »
Yep, didn't think I was going to get back out.

Looks like Maumee is going to be more of a mess than usual.   Have to go though,  been wading since I had to be carried to the island.  Wouldn't feel right to miss Maumee even if I was just contributing to Clarence's retirement plan like last year!
what do you mean by more of a mess than usual?
When hell freezes over ill ice fish there too!

Offline spencerville

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Mar 15, 2019, 11:56 AM »
what do you mean by more of a mess than usual?
I believe he talking about the ice on the river this year... river level was really high and then it froze. .. will make access tougher.

Offline Jig_Head

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Mar 15, 2019, 12:57 PM »
Ohhhhhhh okay yeah that makes sense

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Mar 15, 2019, 01:08 PM »
Yeah, if you haven't seen the pictures or videos of the ice it is crazy.  There may still be piles of ice melting over there in June.  It appears the ice is stacked about 8 feet high down a one lane tunnel going back to buttonwood! :o

Offline CWlake

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Mar 15, 2019, 01:09 PM »
Was on Coldwater lk last Sunday, had 7". Today it's completely gone. All piled up on the east shore.

Offline Jig_Head

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Mar 16, 2019, 01:53 PM »
Yeah, if you haven't seen the pictures or videos of the ice it is crazy.  There may still be piles of ice melting over there in June.  It appears the ice is stacked about 8 feet high down a one lane tunnel going back to buttonwood! :o
What! Wow. I haven't seen any pics or videos but I'm definitely gonna look now

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Mar 16, 2019, 02:14 PM »
Sounds like they are making a little head way with heavy equipment.   Saw an eye posted online today caught at the fort.

Offline Jig_Head

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Mar 16, 2019, 05:13 PM »
Nice. Few more weeks then itll be shoulder to shoulder sack to crack action!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.