Author Topic: Let's Talk Spring Bobbers  (Read 2610 times)

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
Let's Talk Spring Bobbers
« on: Apr 10, 2018, 10:51 AM »
So now that game fish is closed in WI inland lakes, I've been Perch jerking for pre spawn pigs. Just curious to see what you guys are using for light biting, late season, pan fish. I made a broken Avid into a stick using a Teeter's Pig spring and also have a St Croix Legend Silver, but want a set up next season (or this one if the ice doesn't end by mid may) that's the most sensitive you can get.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
Re: Let's Talk Spring Bobbers
« Reply #1 on: Apr 10, 2018, 12:46 PM »
frabill titanium. easy on and off.
adjustable and retracts fully, so it can be used with different weights.  i have them on all my rods.

http://www.frabill.com/open-water-fishing/open-water-accessories/titanium-spring-bobber.html

Details

Titanium wire construction for unmatched durability - will not kink!
    Allows for worry-free storage
    Fits onto any existing combo
    Adjustable design allows for varying weights of jigs
    High-visibility bead for easy bite recognition
    Extreme lightweight design won't dampen rod tip action

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Apr 10, 2018, 01:49 PM »
I ditched spring bobbers and went to noodle rods. You're setup looks pretty great IMO practically a custom noodle rod  ;) If i had to go back to spring bobbers I'd pick up some titanium ones looks like you can even get different stiffness's now

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #3 on: Apr 10, 2018, 02:25 PM »
I also ditched spring bobbers all together..i use noodle rods with sensitive tips now.if I do have to use one its the frabill titanium but for the price of them I can get a ht ice blue rod that doesn't need a indicator.

Offline joedevera

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Apr 10, 2018, 10:11 PM »
I use Ice Strong spring bobbers on my rods

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Apr 10, 2018, 11:19 PM »
I ditched spring bobbers and went to noodle rods.

Bingo.

I haven’t used a spring bobber the last 3 seasons. However, if I go back, I do prefer the flat ribbon-wire schooley springs (on any rod). They can be rigged a couple different ways and detect the smallest bites (including up-bites). Titanium spring bobbers, imo & ime, are overpriced and too limp to be practical in multiple situations.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Apr 11, 2018, 12:00 AM »
Noddle rods don't have enough backbone for me.  I miss more pan fish hook sets with a noddle rod then with the flat ribbon wire type spring bobber mounted to a stiffer rod.  Not criticzing just what works best for me.

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Apr 11, 2018, 06:13 AM »
X 2 on the Ice Strong Titanium Spring Bobbers.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Apr 11, 2018, 06:32 AM »
I like having a rod that has enough backbone to set the hook and fight a fish effectively while having a sensitive spring bobber to let me know when I get a tap while not putting off the fish. I like my St. Croix silver, works fine with the soft bite AND the up strike. I guess it's all about how it's adjusted. I have a couple Premiers also and I'm definitely thinking about adding a spring bobber tip to them.

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Apr 11, 2018, 06:42 AM »
Cheap and one of the best Bic lighter spring, best and most expensive St. Croix. Better choice I've been going to the flat tip rods,very fast sensitive tip,then plenty of backbone to set the hook. I've used the Tickle Stick almost exclusively the last two years and don't miss to many fish. I've landing bass over 4lbs and a 38 in pike on 3 lb test. Although it cost a little more than I wanted $50 I found a company that sells something similar for under $20.

Offline iceman260

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Apr 11, 2018, 06:57 AM »
I ditched the spring bobbers and went with jason mitchell meat sticks very sensative tip and plenty of backbone.
If fishing is a sport are we considered athletes?

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Apr 11, 2018, 07:59 AM »
Ice hopper flat line II ice 17.99 24" Sportsmen direct. Very similar to the Tickle Stick.

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Apr 20, 2018, 09:22 PM »
A spring bobber can be adjusted by sliding it in or out on your rod tip when you change lure weight and will indicate the slightest touch of your lure up or down.  Noddle rods or sensitive tip rods can not be adjusted for lure weight, so strike indication changes.  Spring bobbers work best for me when perch fishing but I know each fishermen has their own method.

Offline TheCaveman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Apr 23, 2018, 09:38 AM »
can anybody else not relate at all because they manage to forget their panfish rod every time they go fishing so they are stuck with their walleye and pike rods???

and thats not even me joking either, i buy one panfish rod per year maximum because i always hook a pike or  walleye and break the darn things
~Good Luck~

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Apr 23, 2018, 05:35 PM »
can anybody else not relate at all because they manage to forget their panfish rod every time they go fishing so they are stuck with their walleye and pike rods???

and thats not even me joking either, i buy one panfish rod per year maximum because i always hook a pike or  walleye and break the darn things
Set your drag lighter.  What about spring bobbers, the topic title ???

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Apr 24, 2018, 06:23 AM »
Ice hopper flat line II ice 17.99 24" Sportsmen direct. Very similar to the Tickle Stick.
bought the flat line 2 years ago in the light action (only light and medium available) The tip was like a UL spring bobber and after the soft tip, it went immediately to med/heavy. there was no bend at all like a broom stick. this year, I sanded it down flat between the guides to try it out. worked better. this summer, I will remove the guides and finish the job.

Offline TheCaveman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Apr 24, 2018, 09:25 AM »
Set your drag lighter.  What about spring bobbers, the topic title ???

sorry, forgot to mention that i usually run spring bobbers on my panfish  rods, sorry man, but i dont even spend the money for spring bobbers anymore because of my problem with hooking pike and yeah on the drag thing, i normally keep it set heavy just because where i fish there are a lot of 4-5 inch perch so i just keep it heavy so i can set it hard and pull it right out then when i hook a large northern or something either i forget to turn my drag down and my line snaps or after a while my rod tip will break
~Good Luck~

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Apr 24, 2018, 09:35 AM »
90% noodle rods. good custom blanks have plenty of backbone. i've seen muskie caught on them.   some of the cheaper brands that have "noodle" rods have 0 backbone.  basically junk.   

but when i'm not using a noodle rod its all st croix spring bobbers.  just simply the best.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #18 on: Apr 27, 2018, 11:10 AM »
I have tried about every different spring bobber made and hands down winner imo are the Marmish strike indicators. They come in different jig weight sizes and the only draw back is you need to kind of custom fit attach them to your rod. Find the right size weight you want, cut the rubber with a razor blade and epoxy on just below the rod tip top. I forgot but I think i like the #2 indicator for crappie. I can tell if a fish is staring at it hard. lol
https://www.marmish.ca/shop/items.html?type=4

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.