New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Niagara emeralds  (Read 2993 times)

Offline ice4066

• Team IceShanty Regular
Niagara emeralds
« on: Jan 23, 2024, 11:33 AM »
I know where to go throw Net for emeralds but before making 2 hour ride wondering if anyone has been lately
Thank you

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Niagara emeralds
« Reply #1 on: Jan 23, 2024, 01:44 PM »
all they are is buckeyes

Offline ice4066

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 23, 2024, 02:12 PM »
Yea...I know all the different names..not what I asked...was wondering if guys that dip them in Niagara are getting them...and your not one that does ...ide rather catch a bunch then pay 18$ half lb around here

Offline krispcritter

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 23, 2024, 02:33 PM »
Check your regs as to transporting them.  Limited distance as to where you can take and use.
To make a small fortune in business start with a Large one.,

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Jan 23, 2024, 02:57 PM »
Check your regs as to transporting them.  Limited distance as to where you can take and use.
i  don't understand  all the regulation  myself  i  know  on oneida when the  buckeyes  come in  in the  fall  you can walk across  the  canal at  sylvan beach  you  end  up  snagging  2 or 3  every cast with a rapala ...... it sucks  when  bait  cost  and  people  can't  really afford  it  ......pike shinners  are what  cost  me  ...i know we  use  to  dip them  in  oswego in front of  cahills  many years  ago  ....use to  get the smelt there in the  spring and  you  had to  cull the  buckeyes  out lol

Offline ice4066

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 23, 2024, 03:17 PM »
Yup Krispy I checked into it and where I'm gonna use them falls into the lake erie Niagara water shed and also talked to my buddy who's in DEC

Offline sbuffaloice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 23, 2024, 04:39 PM »
"Baitfish or other legally taken fish species intended to be used as bait may only be used in the same waterbody from which they were caught for bait in hook-and-line fishing. These fish may only be used in a waterbody where it is legal to use fish as bait."

Might want to recheck the regulations bud. Doesnt say anything about "watersheds"   

Unless youre using them in the SBH or anywhere on Lake Erie, doesnt sound very legal.
Real good Steve, we were biting this morning..we were biting this morning...

Offline ice4066

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 24, 2024, 08:05 AM »

Caught in Niagara can be transported and used in Niagara corridor...I just used words " water shed "

Offline sbuffaloice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 24, 2024, 11:51 AM »

Caught in Niagara can be transported and used in Niagara corridor...I just used words " water shed "

Awesome then!! Happy dipping!
Real good Steve, we were biting this morning..we were biting this morning...

Offline ice4066

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 24, 2024, 01:24 PM »
Thanks

Offline Greenhornet73

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 24, 2024, 09:42 PM »
I haven’t read the regulations on transporting baitfish since I only use certified bait but my understating is that it isn’t only the species of baitfish that are the issue but the parasites or diseases they can carry.  I was not a fan in the beginning because I used to catch my own red finned shiners and suckers for musky bait but seeing  how invasives were changing everything made me change my ways.
I prefer a 2oz sinker for perch...when it hits 'em they won't feel a thing

Offline mcully

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 25, 2024, 04:53 AM »
Wasn't the question "Has anyone been catching" ?

I have not

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yes. There will be ice and I will fish it.
« Reply #12 on: Jan 25, 2024, 05:09 AM »
As far as corridors for transport don’t know about Erie but for Lake Ontario it is a very narrow area. I don’t think technically I goes as far from the lake as 104 in Wayne co.

Yes I understand I can net bait at charlotte and go all the way to massena with it to use on st Laurence. But cat go to Oneida lake Canandaigua Seneca Cayuga anywhere but the water and its tributaries.

Disclaimer:
I make statements based on my experiences in the location I fished only. Check ice conditions for yourself.
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Offline TheGobyGuy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 25, 2024, 05:24 AM »
https://dec.ny.gov/things-to-do/freshwater-fishing/regulations/baitfish#Harvested

The transportation corridor is described and just that: the roads you can transport uncertified baitfish by motor vehicle.   They can still only be used in the  same water body, which is also defined in the link above as Erie and the upper niagara river (and tributaries up to the first impassible barrier).  No taking them inland, if thats the intention.

Also if by "throw a net" you mean a cast net, you can't cast net on Erie/Niagara. Cast nets can only be used on the Hudson below Troy. 

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yes. There will be ice and I will fish it.
« Reply #14 on: Jan 25, 2024, 05:28 AM »
https://dec.ny.gov/things-to-do/freshwater-fishing/regulations/baitfish#Harvested

The transportation corridor is described and just that: the roads you can transport uncertified baitfish by motor vehicle.   They can still only be used in the  same water body, which is also defined in the link above as Erie and the upper niagara river (and tributaries up to the first impassible barrier).  No taking them inland, if thats the intention.

Also if by "throw a net" you mean a cast net, you can't cast net on Erie/Niagara. Cast nets can only be used on the Hudson below Troy.
Thanks for the extra info on cast nets about the Hudson.
I’m allowed to use one in Ontario but size restrictions do play a factor. I think only 6’ and under haven’t done in years.

Best luck tight lines.
Disclaimer:
I make statements based on my experiences in the location I fished only. Check ice conditions for yourself.
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Offline KingPerch

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 25, 2024, 06:09 AM »
The way I read the regulations is.. you can net and use the bait in the same water it came from. You cannot transport that bait from that water to another different body of water.
“Saving the perch population, one walleye at a time”-reeleyz 2021

Don’t worry Freddie, Hot bite is at 11:00!!😜

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #16 on: Jan 25, 2024, 06:12 AM »

Pg 79 gear for taking bait fish

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 25, 2024, 06:35 AM »
Pg 79 gear for taking bait fish

Freddie you actually have a regulation book weird concept 🤣🤣🤣🤣
If you sit around all day and do nothing your a bum, but if you sit in a boat all day or in a shanty and do nothing they call you a fisherman

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #18 on: Jan 25, 2024, 06:39 AM »
i have  two friends that own bait shops ....i  just  buy a  half  cup when i need them  .........trouble with buckeyes they die to easy

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #19 on: Jan 25, 2024, 06:52 AM »

Freddie you actually have a regulation book weird concept 🤣🤣🤣🤣
lol , i know well I am slowing down 😃, i fish so many different counties regs change , especially the stream trout regs

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #20 on: Jan 25, 2024, 06:56 AM »
i have a reg booklete  in the  back of my wadeing  jacket  lol  i walked under a  bridge and the regulations changed!!!!  true store  .....even the dec officer couldn'd believe  the regulations ......

Offline cold_feet

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice is Cool!!
« Reply #21 on: Jan 25, 2024, 07:40 AM »
Finding minnows on the river around Buffalo has been hit and miss. Last year it was such a hassle  tring to find them at all the old haunts it was easier calling Russes than driving all over looking. Seems the Asiians just live them to add to their rice as they take multiple garbage bags daily from the waters outfishing those cormorants. Even in spring when they lined every wall along the river it was hit and miss.  Where they are now is anyone's guess. Just hit all the normal haunts till you find them.  Numbers are dwindling  big time so when you do find them I personally would advertise it to those you can't trust. 3 years ago it wasn't a problem last year it was near impossible finding them

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 25, 2024, 07:47 AM »
lol , i know well I am slowing down 😃, i fish so many different counties regs change , especially the stream trout regs

Even before I was 16 I also get the new regulations book every year. Not knowing the law isn't an excuse for something they give you
If you sit around all day and do nothing your a bum, but if you sit in a boat all day or in a shanty and do nothing they call you a fisherman

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #23 on: Jan 25, 2024, 11:36 AM »
i think i'm both

Offline Lucky13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 25, 2024, 01:27 PM »
Finding minnows on the river around Buffalo has been hit and miss. Last year it was such a hassle  tring to find them at all the old haunts it was easier calling Russes than driving all over looking. Seems the Asiians just live them to add to their rice as they take multiple garbage bags daily from the waters outfishing those cormorants. Even in spring when they lined every wall along the river it was hit and miss.  Where they are now is anyone's guess. Just hit all the normal haunts till you find them.  Numbers are dwindling  big time so when you do find them I personally would advertise it to those you can't trust. 3 years ago it wasn't a problem last year it was near impossible finding them

It used to be that if you went dry fly fishing in the Salmon River (Oswego County) in the summertime, you would catch a fallfish on nearly every cast.  Now they are as rare as hen's teeth.  A local told me that Asians from Syracuse were filling buckets with them for a couple of years, not so much anymore because they removed so many.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #25 on: Jan 25, 2024, 02:11 PM »
seriously  fishing salmon river and oswego river i can  tell you  horror stories  worse part we filmed it  got plate numbers  and  were willing to sign  and  go to court  and  city police refused to help and  DEC was busy chasing hunters  .......so all these regulations  only are  for honest  people  they  don't go after the poachers .......

Offline Lucky13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 26, 2024, 07:51 AM »
It's like Rochester at the lower Falls, DEC hands out the tickets and the City judges just dismiss the charges.  And there are not enough law abiders to vote them out,.  When people start getting their insurance bills after we became the carjacking capital of the USA, maybe something will start to change.

Offline cold_feet

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice is Cool!!
« Reply #27 on: Jan 27, 2024, 08:01 AM »
seriously  fishing salmon river and oswego river i can  tell you  horror stories  worse part we filmed it  got plate numbers  and  were willing to sign  and  go to court  and  city police refused to help and  DEC was busy chasing hunters  .......so all these regulations  only are  for honest  people  they  don't go after the poachers .......

What we see here is pretty simple. DEC shows up writes tickets mostly for fishing without a license.  Go back the next day and the same people are doing it all over again.  I can bet they never go to court never pay fine and I was told tye DEC pretty much have given up. I've seen big black 30 gal garbage bags filled with emeralds. Not just one bag mind you but dozens of them  are taken home daily. Same 3 guys netting same people with their wagons taking the garbage bags full home to be dried on their front lawn.  They scarf up the gobies, sheepshead and any other unwanted fish tossed out.  In spring when white Perch are on the bite you'll see hundreds of whites being taken home in 5 gal buckets.  There is no hope for justice DEC can not put officers at a place where many don't care and strip resources from the waters.  I've even been told by DEC they're fighting a losing battle

Offline krispcritter

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Jan 27, 2024, 08:35 AM »

What we see here is pretty simple. DEC shows up writes tickets mostly for fishing without a license.  Go back the next day and the same people are doing it all over again.  I can bet they never go to court never pay fine and I was told tye DEC pretty much have given up. I've seen big black 30 gal garbage bags filled with emeralds. Not just one bag mind you but dozens of them  are taken home daily. Same 3 guys netting same people with their wagons taking the garbage bags full home to be dried on their front lawn.  They scarf up the gobies, sheepshead and any other unwanted fish tossed out.  In spring when white Perch are on the bite you'll see hundreds of whites being taken home in 5 gal buckets.  There is no hope for justice DEC can not put officers at a place where many don't care and strip resources from the waters.  I've even been told by DEC they're fighting a losing battle

Pretty much the same with ALL law enforcement.
To make a small fortune in business start with a Large one.,

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #29 on: Jan 27, 2024, 01:15 PM »
now  this is just my experiece  and i been fishing salmon river  lake ontario and tribes and oneida  all my life ......i seen people take to mamy salmon and trout  ...smallies and  walleyes  ...load up on perch   but i never seen anyone  load up on chubs  fall fish  or   minnows  ...i could  be wrong but i think you people need to get  out doors and go fishing .....and  you guys are  complaining  people are  killing white  perch   the dec put  signs  on in fulton to  kill them  and  toss them  up in the weeds........ white  perch are invasive to where we all live and  fish!!!!!

White perch (Morone americana; Figure 1) are a widespread invasive species in freshwater habitats throughout North America. Perch are native to brackish and tidal freshwater rivers along the East Coast and are commonly targeted by anglers for their tablefare.

take all you want

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.