New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: New regs on walleye?  (Read 6560 times)

Offline oneida1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: New regs on walleye?
« Reply #30 on: Mar 15, 2021, 12:11 PM »
ill be honest i would favor a slot size on walleye,,,,,, keep it at 3,  with bounus fish over a certain size

Offline Oldtimer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Mar 15, 2021, 02:21 PM »
I’m too old for change. Leave it where it is, if it aint broke, dont fix it but that is hard for politicians to do.  If 3 eyes a day is not enough just take a couple non fish eating guys along and take their limits. 

Offline Hardwater2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Mar 15, 2021, 02:32 PM »
I like the 3 fish limit. Think it’s good for the fishery. I know of a top tier walleye lake not in this state that had a 5 fish limit in conjunction with excessive netting by the Native American Indians. That lake went severely down hill and now has much tighter limits and slots in place.  It didn’t take very long either. Was very sad to read about. I like to eat them just like the next guy but they’re even more fun to catch! Hope they stay with 3.....

Offline 62&done

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Mar 15, 2021, 05:17 PM »
Being completly honest, whether I like the idea or not, it seems to me , a very complicated issue and some one will not be happy as others will be thrilled.  With panfish, there are so many variables to think of.  Some waters will NEVER produce big gills no mater what you do. Some waters produce nice ones and seem to be a bottomless pit.  There are so many different eco systems within our state that to make everyone happy there won't be enough time to read all the regulations nesessary to insure proper management.  I say leave it alone it's working well enough for all.  And now I'll raise some feathers:   If they are really worried about us catching too many , stop the sale off all fish which have a size limit, quantity or calendar season.  If you want to sell bullheads or carp, they are truely a non game fish . Go ahead.

Offline Iceman1899

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Mar 15, 2021, 06:30 PM »
I love eating fish but really once them eyes get 20” plus I can taste a noticeable difference. Don’t know if it’s actually the fish or takes longer to cook in fry pan. Much over 18” they go back down the hole for me. Not knocking anyone who keeps all sizes. I target the perch to fill the freezer. That all said my 3 biggest eyes have come from tip ups on delta and I fish oneida 5 to 1 over delta a season. Management?? Maybe just luck!! I don’t know

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #35 on: Mar 15, 2021, 06:47 PM »
iceman i agree 100% big walleyes just don't taste good to me personally ,i was kidding about  larger size limit and less fish  i say  15  and 5 fish , see what happens ,oneida  is a put and take fishery if you  do go the wrong way  it can and will be fixed in a season .  me i like the perch and the flat fish myself .....but i love seeing pictures and hearing stories  and i do like catching them ...i fry the  smaller ones... i do think the state is experimenting a little to much.... i just want to be left alone to catch a  good  batch of bluegills and have a fish fry 

Offline Iceman1899

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Mar 15, 2021, 07:49 PM »
In all honesty I didn’t even get a keeper limit of eyes off oneida all ice season!!!! Picked away at them and good perch numbers. I could care less what they do really I think your right if it gets bad quick they’ll be able to fix it. Put and take. Limit on delta is 5 and the lake is a fraction the size of oneida. I just go out to have fun and if I can fill the freezer... better yet

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #37 on: Mar 15, 2021, 08:05 PM »
i'm far from a good walleye fisherman  .... i just rather look for  perch or flatfish .......filling the freezor is always good  ,but  if you get some good fish with good friends and good times...... you  did great  ;D

Offline joefish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Mar 16, 2021, 05:59 AM »
i'm far from a good walleye fisherman  .... i just rather look for  perch or flatfish .......filling the freezor is always good  ,but  if you get some good fish with good friends and good times...... you  did great  ;D
     Well Said Trapper

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #39 on: Mar 17, 2021, 04:34 AM »
 This is the first winter i just fished perch , the walleyes I did catch just happen to like my perch spoons ,
 And if they don’t close the locks people won’t be launching boats in very many spots
 Some launches are bone dry , here is a pic from mill street in Constantia

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Mar 17, 2021, 05:15 AM »
It is the lowest I can remember. I don't know if they will close the gates until the ice goes out?

It looks like you could walk right on to that nasty ice.  ;)

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #41 on: Mar 17, 2021, 06:04 AM »

Some guys said they hope the shore ice would hold I told them shore ice is out couple hundred feet 😃
 It is the lowest if ever seen

Offline mcully

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #42 on: Mar 17, 2021, 06:12 AM »
It's not only Oneida. Skaneateles and Owasco are super low too. two three feet low.

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Mar 17, 2021, 06:30 AM »
Sacandaga only has to come up 18 feet. Like changing the water in a fish tank...h2l
Northville, NY

Offline Adironzach

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Certified Doe Dragger
« Reply #44 on: Mar 17, 2021, 10:39 AM »
Tupper lake is the same way. Will be lots of lower ends donated to the lake this year. When the warm up happened last week, they opened the gates and the lakes water level dropped significantly. My friend lives in town and said there are beaches in the boat houses rn.

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Mar 18, 2021, 12:58 PM »
The first article here has some info on the health of the walleye fishery and the creel limit change. January 2022 is the target timeframe for that change.

https://files.constantcontact.com/eb077e39501/c36a84f0-6c7b-40a4-a4e2-47ef6499f17e.pdf

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #46 on: Mar 19, 2021, 09:30 AM »
yeah  androgynous  walleyes ....  androgynous  is a sports term in the baseball world,    they don't know if their  pitchers or catchers

by the way  you can tell a  female  walleye   from a  male  quickly  and  easily  you know.....

Yo Trap,

Definitely you have learned how to get your point across with humor instead of vitriol. Now look that one up Freddy😜😜😜

Boggey
Start each day with the exuberance of a 10 year old . Do not allow those around you to diminish that exuberance.

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #47 on: Mar 19, 2021, 10:11 AM »
The first article here has some info on the health of the walleye fishery and the creel limit change. January 2022 is the target timeframe for that change.

https://files.constantcontact.com/eb077e39501/c36a84f0-6c7b-40a4-a4e2-47ef6499f17e.pdf

Yo Bruce

Very helpful article to help us to properly frame the situation. Before any permanent decisions are made , the 2021 delayed population assessment should be completed and studied in my opinion.

Boggey
Start each day with the exuberance of a 10 year old . Do not allow those around you to diminish that exuberance.

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #48 on: Mar 19, 2021, 01:15 PM »

Cormorant cull??? How can we sign up to volunteer lol

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.