The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: NW area trout?  (Read 741 times)

Offline IceDuck406

• IceShanty Rookie
NW area trout?
« on: Feb 04, 2019, 05:22 PM »
I'm looking to target big trout up here in the NW. Been out a few times, but seems trickier than I thought.  I know Bitterroot has big rainbows, but ive struck out so far. Any tips on lakes I should try? Thanks!

Offline Quantoson

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • no fish is too big
Re: NW area trout?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 04, 2019, 09:28 PM »
If you are not too picky about what kind of trout, I would fish Hungary Horse Reservoir.  Mostly cutts and bulls in there.  Some rainbow strains like cuttbows.  I miss fishing that place.
wish you many hook-ups

Offline Papa John

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 05, 2019, 12:17 PM »
If you are not too picky about what kind of trout, I would fish Hungary Horse Reservoir.  Mostly cutts and bulls in there.  Some rainbow strains like cuttbows.  I miss fishing that place.

I'd be very careful about trying H.H. Reservoir. With water fluctuations, creek currents, and very deep water, it's a tricky place to try ice fishing. Open water fishing is great, but don't go on the ice alone and be sure to take a spud bar. Hollow sounding ice could easily be just that. With the latest snow fall, I doubt that there is much for access.  Bitterroot probably has more of the biggest rainbow around. Fish very early in the day and in shallower water over the shelves with jigs and bait. Ashley also has very large 'bows, just not many of them. Lake trout are a good bet now with the colder temps and availability of Flathead bays and Whitefish Lake. Somers Bay was frozen a couple days ago and should have fishable ice now. Get out of the weeds growing close in and find 20' of water or more. Lakers like jigs. Bays on W'fish Lake are solid now as well. That's where I'm headed.

Offline Quantoson

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • no fish is too big
« Reply #3 on: Feb 05, 2019, 06:08 PM »
Don't worry about hollow ice sound.  No one wants Hungary Horse discovered as a great place to ice fish.  You can get all the info you need from these two threads but I will abbreviate below.
https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=345601.msg3676528#msg3676528
https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=253415.msg2592003#msg2592003

Plan A
Start at Abbott boat launch close to shore, drill and check.  Then keep moving out of the bay, along the shoreline opposite of the dam, but stay about 100 to 150 yards from shore until you feel unsafe and drill another hole.  If water is there, drop the line and hang on to your pole.  I would use a chrome cast master and piece of worm.  You will have a great time.  It's a great place no one wants to tell anyone about.

Plan B. 
If there is no water right after drilling the ice, go back to shore. .....kinda fast.
wish you many hook-ups

Offline RuralMT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 05, 2019, 07:34 PM »
Can't offer much advice on how to fish it, but this cold snap will put some ice on Koocanusa.  I'm more interested in trying to figure out the ling in there, but plenty of big trout get iced when it finally locks up.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.