Author Topic: Ugly stik dock runner  (Read 11260 times)

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Ugly stik dock runner
« on: Oct 03, 2018, 10:46 PM »
So my buddy showed me a 36” ugly stik dock rod and reel combo he got for $15.  Looking at it, I’m thinking these would be perfect (prob after replacing reel) as extra rods for lake trout. I have ice riggers I use instead of tip ups, and sometimes I have a friend or two out fishing with me, so I think a couple of these would be great to have on hand. Anyone have any experience with this rod? I’m also on the market for a rod to use specifically for lake trout, just need to see them in the stores before I buy.

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Ugly stik dock runner
« Reply #1 on: Oct 04, 2018, 05:52 PM »
guessing rods are good and reels are junk

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Oct 04, 2018, 07:19 PM »
I've used a bunch of different ugly sticks of the years with ice rigger and they work and get beat up on the ice. I good drag is important but the rod can take a beating.
In the memory of "Team Lighting" Fish ON!
No one ever says,"Man that fish tastes small.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Oct 04, 2018, 07:57 PM »
I figured the reel on those are junk, but some you tube videos have some big fish being landed with the stock unit. I now wish my local dicks wasn’t out of stock on okuma reels that are on clearance, at least their size 25. I know I’ll find decent replacement reels at a good price.

Offline Gavins1800

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 19, 2019, 05:01 PM »
I use mine on a jawjacker and it works very good. Change the reel though

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 19, 2019, 07:24 PM »
Rods are just Goldilocks perfect for northerns (and lakers). Old school UglyStick action and backbone. Gave the reels to my three year old grandson and slapped on some size 35

President XL's. Bring 'em on.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 19, 2019, 10:22 PM »
I put some okuma stratus reels on the ones I’m using. I now have a few more that need reels, just need a decent reel at a cheap price that I don’t have to clean and re grease to use in winter.

Offline Gavins1800

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 27, 2019, 01:51 PM »
I use a small okuma avenger and it works good

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 30, 2019, 10:14 AM »
Well, for what I wanted to use these rods for, I ended up getting a couple Okuma baitfeeder reels.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #9 on: Dec 13, 2020, 10:04 AM »
I always carry a Dock Runner in the truck just in case the opportunity occurs or need to go to a back up!  I plan on trying it out on the ice for Lakers some day.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 13, 2020, 10:25 AM »
I've gotten my boy both the Dock Runner and the Zebco Dock Demon... the reels actually aren't as lousy as you would think for the price. He has landed a couple carp upward of 8# on them. This one was 5#5oz back at the end of the summer.

I would say the Dock Runner's reel is a bit better, but they're both very servicable. The trick is to sort through them at the store to find one with a smooth drag, because some are a lot better than others.

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Dec 13, 2020, 10:33 AM »
Picked up a DR for some Automatic Fisherman/HT HookMaster set ups I have last season ..but with last season being what it was never even put my Okuma reel on it . :-[
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Uppervalley Kid

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 15, 2021, 10:16 AM »
I always carry a Dock Runner in the truck just in case the opportunity occurs or need to go to a back up!  I plan on trying it out on the ice for Lakers some day.

Same, never know when you might see some water that looks "fishy"
....¸><((((º>
.··´¯`·.¸.·><((((º>
·.¸.·´¯`·...¸.·><((((º>

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 31, 2022, 11:53 PM »
Update on this. I now have several of these dock rods with the bait runner reels and I’ve been loving the setup for the HT Ice Rigger. I’ve also used it for jigging lake trout, haven’t gotten anything big yet, but these have plenty of backbone for these 20-25” that are numerous in this lake

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.