The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Hand Auger Suggestions??  (Read 7612 times)

Offline Reel trouble

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Hand Auger Suggestions??
« Reply #30 on: Dec 03, 2016, 09:14 AM »
I just wish Strikemaster would sell the offsets again, they're always trying to make more money, I don't understand why they don't jump on the chance.

Because they are making more money, when you get tired of the hand drill they will sale you a power auger

Offline whip2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Dec 05, 2016, 08:04 AM »
Yeah I had an Eskimo that had the Chinese blades and put a set of mora blades from Sweden on when the Chinese blades got dull. The Mora steel blades from Sweden are impressive on how long they stay sharp vs the Chinese blades. I'd say the Sweden steel stayed sharp about twice as long.

Thanks for the clarification also. I thought the fin bore, lazer, and  barracuda all were the same besides the fine bore having the offset handle that everyone wishes strikemaster would do.

I do like my nils, but at $125 for the auger, $75 for a flight extension, $50 for a used 8in power point cutting head, $30 for a clam plate adaptor. I've got $280 into it.......And I never use it by hand since I do the clam plate..........

Where did you get your Clam Plate for $30.00 ???

Offline spoofhoundicefisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Dec 05, 2016, 07:47 PM »
clam plate adaptor is an add on which goes under the clam plate that reduces it down so it makes it easier to turn an 8" auger. 

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Dec 05, 2016, 08:28 PM »
clam plate adaptor is an add on which goes under the clam plate that reduces it down so it makes it easier to turn an 8" auger.

You're thinking about the gear box..

The clam plate adapter he's talking about makes it fit a Nils..

<°)))>{

Offline sinneD

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Dec 06, 2016, 11:59 AM »
Hooey!

Go Nils. You won't be sorry. And if you are, resale on a Nils is better than any other. BTW, how many used Nils do you see out there? 'Zactly!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69gF7RX_vkE

The US ice fishing market is PUNY compared to northern Europe and Russian countries. We get the stuff that some bean counter marketing type thinks they will make the best profit on...  Laser and Finbore augers are Mora's. The Mora is a Mora. They are all made by Mora. Mora, Mora Mora.... They stamp or don't stamp logos on things....

http://moraice.fishing/products?keys=&field_product_category _tid_i18n=3084

The flat blade Mora is the Easy.

The curved bladed ones are based on the Pro. the Laser, the FinBore

The Laser Synthetic is based on the Mora Nova

The Nils is really a Heinola.

Look at the patent:
https://www.google.com/patents/US3760890

Link below is in Finnish.

http://www.opm.fi/uploads/files/Heinola_Jaaporat_2017.pdf

Don't' complain about the cost of buying and maintaining tools. Spend the money and buy it once and be happy. Or go cheap and curse and curse again when you upgrade.

The only complaint anyone with a Nils makes is cost, but they are quick to say how well it cuts.

Your mileage may vary ...

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Dec 06, 2016, 12:26 PM »

The flat blade Mora is the Easy.
(Image removed from quote.)

It called the Easy because it's easy to sharpen, easy to find blades, easy to find enough pocket change to pay for them..

<°)))>{

Offline Reel trouble

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Dec 06, 2016, 12:56 PM »
sinneD I disagree resale value on the nils isnt very good sold 2 of them and it took almost 6 months and about half of what they were new and both of them were in fantastic shape and sharp.  there isnt enough difference in cutting to spend the extra on a nils if you can find a lazer or finbore III with an offset handle its the way to go

Offline 26perch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Dec 06, 2016, 06:18 PM »
  Have a older 7" Mora (10+yrs) what's the difference between the Easy & Spiralen blades. Also can I change it to lazer blades

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Dec 06, 2016, 06:29 PM »
  Have a older 7" Mora (10+yrs) what's the difference between the Easy & Spiralen blades. Also can I change it to lazer blades

This is the adaptor that adapt's the mora flat blade auger to curved laser blades  you have to buy blades..this kit  don't come with it..so if you got a 7 inch mora you add 7 inch laser blades to this adaptor then you got a laser auger.. they also sell a adaptor on ebay that will adapt the older mora with the screw on handle  to a clam plate for like another 20 to 30 dollars or so.. so the older mora auger has lots of options...

http://m.ebay.com/itm/7-INCH-MORA-TO-LAZER-ICE-AUGER-BLADE-ADAPTER-/131116713483?hash=item1e872a460b%3Ag%3AxcAAAOxypNtSlljQ&_trkparms=pageci%253A6b45dd43-bc13-11e6-981a-005056bb17c9%257Cparentrq%253Ad6aa2ec11580a78875ba27e6ffe12114%257Ciid%253A10

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
« Reply #39 on: Dec 06, 2016, 06:48 PM »
I'm looking for a 8" and I'm sticking with Nils I have a 4 and 6". I've had the 4 for 8 years now. I take care of it and it has been sharpened 2 times.
My 6" is 5yo and sharpened once.
"Problem solving is hunting. It is savage pleasure and we are born to do it."
Thomas Harris

Offline Curley

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #40 on: Dec 06, 2016, 07:07 PM »
Owned many augers over the years. Started with an 8 inch Lazer. Bad choice when the ice got thick. Guys took pity on me a couple times after watching me cut a couple holes and would drill me more. The thing was a bear on thick ice. Before the season was over I took the plastic and ordered a gas auger. Had that Jiffy for 15 years before I sold it. During that time a guy I new was selling a old Mora with off set handles in 6 inch. That thing was a dream for early ice. Later I sold that because I had to have a Nils. Got the 8 and love it. Only sees early ice and light trips. I would highly recommend it if you have the change. If it's you primary auger I would go with the 6 inch as a 6 removes about half the material as an 8, making it that much faster and easier. I have never tried the Finbore but those that do are very loyal. again I would go 6 inches. JMO.

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
« Reply #41 on: Dec 06, 2016, 07:14 PM »
Owned many augers over the years. Started with an 8 inch Lazer. Bad choice when the ice got thick. Guys took pity on me a couple times after watching me cut a couple holes and would drill me more. The thing was a bear on thick ice. Before the season was over I took the plastic and ordered a gas auger. Had that Jiffy for 15 years before I sold it. During that time a guy I new was selling a old Mora with off set handles in 6 inch. That thing was a dream for early ice. Later I sold that because I had to have a Nils. Got the 8 and love it. Only sees early ice and light trips. I would highly recommend it if you have the change. If it's you primary auger I would go with the 6 inch as a 6 removes about half the material as an 8, making it that much faster and easier. I have never tried the Finbore but those that do are very loyal. again I would go 6 inches. JMO.

2X I love my 6 on the drill but if I have to hand drill I'll take the 4" You should see what the 4 does on my Ridged gen5X drill.
I cant find a 8" finbore3 or blades state side.
Thomas Harris

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Dec 06, 2016, 07:54 PM »
2X I love my 6 on the drill but if I have to hand drill I'll take the 4" You should see what the 4 does on my Ridged gen5X drill.
I cant find a 8" finbore3 or blades state side.

Fish307.Com carries them during peak ice season so check them often.. I belive the 8 inch finbore 3 uses laser 8 inch blades ?? By the way fish 307 is in new York state side.. they may have them now at fish 307.Com have nor checked in a week or three but they might..

Offline 26perch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Dec 06, 2016, 08:14 PM »
This is the adaptor that adapt's the mora flat blade auger to curved laser blades  you have to buy blades..this kit  don't come with it..so if you got a 7 inch mora you add 7 inch laser blades to this adaptor then you got a laser auger.. they also sell a adaptor on ebay that will adapt the older mora with the screw on handle  to a clam plate for like another 20 to 30 dollars or so.. so the older mora auger has lots of options...

http://m.ebay.com/itm/7-INCH-MORA-TO-LAZER-ICE-AUGER-BLADE-ADAPTER-/131116713483?hash=item1e872a460b%3Ag%3AxcAAAOxypNtSlljQ&_trkparms=pageci%253A6b45dd43-bc13-11e6-981a-005056bb17c9%257Cparentrq%253Ad6aa2ec11580a78875ba27e6ffe12114%257Ciid%253A10
  Thanks   learned a lot in a short  that's why I like this site  always somebody to help

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Dec 06, 2016, 10:25 PM »
  Thanks   learned a lot in a short  that's why I like this site  always somebody to help

That's what this site is about. A lot of people are aways willing to help!!   This makes for a smooth running engine.. only people I /you can thank is the moderator staff for keeping the site so tidy and clean.. and running it how they should be ran..

Offline sinneD

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Dec 07, 2016, 02:57 AM »

Those blades are flat backed. You can't convert them to the other style. :(

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Dec 07, 2016, 03:29 AM »

yes you can but you need a adaptor..it is not go from one blade to the other like your saying you got to buy a adaptor.. I gave him a hyper link to earlier in this thread but under different post of this thread.  For the adaptor..  from a mora to laser adaptor..  cost for it is around $29  for the adaptor and another 30 to 50 for the blades depending were you go..the reason the 7 inch mora is better is it don't have those jam up bars on it that the 7 inch laser has so converting a 7 inch is way worth it same with those offset handle 6 inch mora's I have now.. the adaptor make them cut like a nils will be customizing a off set handle out of a older mora to use on my 7 inch model building a few adaptors is what's going to happen.  To make it all  plug and play  so if my clam plate dies that day I can use a off set handle..

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
« Reply #47 on: Dec 07, 2016, 05:21 PM »

That's what this site is about. A lot of people are aways willing to help!!   This makes for a smooth running engine.. only people I /you can thank is the moderator staff for keeping the site so tidy and clean.. and running it how they should be ran..

2X
Ice fishermen are like bikers, its a brother hood and we have to help each other out!

Thomas Harris

Offline mistertwister

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #48 on: Dec 07, 2016, 05:26 PM »
lots of opinions just like anything, I've always used a 6" mora...thought about an 8" but its just that much more work to drill holes...I'll leave it up to the Jiffy for the 8" holes! Most important thing no matter what you choose is to make sure your blades are good and sharp before the season starts and check them occasionally during the season :tipup:

Offline dekatronic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Dec 07, 2016, 07:17 PM »
To the o.p. Good choice on the 6" lazer. I would not suggest a larger size for hand cranking, especially if you drill a lot of holes. Also if you end up getting a drill, then definitely look for a min. 750 ft-lb drill or greater for this size auger, brushless, and with lithium batteries to withstand colder temps. My .02

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #50 on: Feb 17, 2017, 03:35 PM »

Behold.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.