The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Perfect Weekend???  (Read 2503 times)

Offline Capn Ez

• Team IceShanty Regular
Perfect Weekend???
« on: Feb 15, 2018, 04:59 PM »
Man, the weather looks absolutely stellar for fishing this weekend.  Hopefully for catching, too!  Going after northerns waaaaayyyyy up north.  Tight lines, people.
My mission is goin' fishin'.

Offline WVBoy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "I am haunted by water." - Norman Maclean -
Re: Perfect Weekend???
« Reply #1 on: Feb 15, 2018, 11:11 PM »
Man, the weather looks absolutely stellar for fishing this weekend.  Hopefully for catching, too!  Going after northerns waaaaayyyyy up north.  Tight lines, people.

It was on fire today. One of the best days I've had all year. I fished 7 tipups from 8am-1pm before work and C/R 15 fish, 5 of which were in the 9-10lb range and I was solo. I hope it stays like this.
"Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths." - Jimmy D Moore

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Feb 16, 2018, 05:51 AM »
You better find the snowball before me  ;)  I'm leaving 3am Sat am.  Shoot me a text if you want to meet up! 

Offline Hardwater Renegade

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 16, 2018, 06:36 AM »
Temps looking real good for the weekend. Getting out Sunday hoping for a good bite. Good luck to everyone.

Offline Capn Ez

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 16, 2018, 06:56 AM »
You better find the snowball before me  ;)  I'm leaving 3am Sat am.  Shoot me a text if you want to meet up!

No question. See you soon, brother.

Offline drule69

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 16, 2018, 07:16 AM »

Headed up this afternoon for the weekend...leave a few for me!!

Offline TRT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Trout/Salmon
« Reply #6 on: Feb 19, 2018, 05:55 PM »
How did you do?

Offline Capn Ez

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 20, 2018, 06:16 AM »
I'll post a detailed report later when I have time and pictures. We got over a hundred like both days. I got 18 Saturday and 29 Sunday.  Average was about 28-29" and 38" was the big one.

Offline Capn Ez

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 21, 2018, 07:43 AM »
OK, so here's the detailed report...

I went up to the north end of Champlain with 6 guys who have never fished up north before on big water.  They were even nervous/excited about driving on the ice.  I've been fishing the area for 18 years running, so it was kinda cool to see folks getting that excited.

We fished Saturday and Sunday on classic mid-winter pike water - a long shallow ledge at the mouth of a spawning bay dropping from 3'-10' on three sides of a long point about a mile from shore.  We hit the bait store and got a couple hundred bucks worth of pike shiners and perch minnows from Bruce at HH.  Again, they were in disbelief that we could burn 16 dozen baits a day, but we bought them and headed out to fish.

We drove out to the spot and started drilling the 24-30" of ice around the point, focusing on the bottom of the drop in 10', but also putting in some traps up top in 5'.  Before we finished drilling holes, the flags were flying every few seconds.  We had doubles, triples, quadruples and quintuples all day long.  We churned through over a hundred fish with the biggest coming in at 38".  We didn't have much time to jig, but every time I dropped, I popped.  I didn't count every fish or even take a picture because you literally couldn't go a minute or two without a flag.  This went on from 6:30am until after dark.  We ran into lowaccord who stopped by our camp and he fished a bit north of us with his buddy Kyle and they did up 40 fish between the two of them.

Sunday was even better.  We did the same thing in the same spot from 6:30am until 8pm and they never stopped biting for more than a 10 minute span.  The average fish picked up in size and we got several fat ones over 32" with the average clocking in around 28-29".  A couple 34s rounded out the top of the pile.  Plenty of 7-9lb fish and quite a few double digits.  I decided to count fish the second day - I got 29 pike myself and well over a hundred perch (didn't count those). 

We got pike on tipups with shiners, tipups with dink perch, freespool lines (tipdowns), quick strike rigs and tiny jigs.  The only bait that didn't catch a fish was my windlass tipped with a 12" dead mackerel.  That was the one I most wanted to see pop, as only the monsters eat those giant dead baits.  Can't win 'em all, I guess.

All in all, it was the best two-day pike trip of my life (and that's saying a lot) and all the guys who never did it before got the trip of a lifetime on their first try.  We had fun, we caught fish, we laughed, backslapped, drank, ate and hooted and hollered for two full days and you can't beat that with a stick...

Offline Snoops77

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 21, 2018, 08:07 AM »
Wow Congrats on a great weekend...Pike are the next on my QUEST list......

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10 on: Feb 21, 2018, 09:28 AM »
Nice work Steve pleasure to meet you.  Wish we could have had time Saturday to visit but the flags previaled. 

Offline Capn Ez

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 21, 2018, 09:30 AM »
Nice work Steve pleasure to meet you.  Wish we could have had time Saturday to visit but the flags previaled.

Same.  Let's actually fish together some time : )

Offline michael czapor

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 21, 2018, 11:28 AM »
Great report Capn Ez. Thanks for sharing !!

Offline Crayfish2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Feb 21, 2018, 11:51 AM »
Sounds like an awesome trip, Cap'n ... congrats!!  Glad you could show the newcomers a good time.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #14 on: Feb 21, 2018, 12:21 PM »
Same.  Let's actually fish together some time : )

If not ice then definetly in the boat.

Offline vtcountrychamp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 21, 2018, 05:16 PM »
Fished from 2-5 and the bass and pike bite was on. Only fished 7 tip-ups and ran out of bait by 4.

Offline te-pe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 22, 2018, 04:25 PM »
yessir everything steve said...an absolute great weekend with good weather, good friends,good food and drink,and great fishin.....monday was blowing about 25mph but that was our exit so everything fired on 8 cyclinders for us sat. and sun.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #17 on: Feb 22, 2018, 06:49 PM »
Saturday was silly!  Funny how that lake works if you skip all the name brand spots and make your own.  Lots of good lake gets completely ignored!

Offline shiveringjoe

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Feb 22, 2018, 08:04 PM »
Awesome report! I’ve had two days like that but both were in late March.

Offline Mstlaurent

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Feb 22, 2018, 10:59 PM »
Wow where about were you at on the lake for those pike?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.