The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Lake Champlain Question  (Read 6056 times)

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Lake Champlain Question
« on: Jan 30, 2018, 11:32 AM »
I will be staying on Lake Champlain in mid February and have two options and was wondering if anyone had insight as to which one was better? Hibbard Bay Near Abenaki RD or the very southern end of Grand Isle to the west of Robinson Point. (where east shore road ends). Any tips you could offer as well as species i could expect to catch in that area would be appreciated! Never fished in VT or the BIG Lake for that matter. Thanks!
Tight Lines!

Offline Hideebeez

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Lake Champlain Question
« Reply #1 on: Jan 30, 2018, 01:17 PM »
I will be staying on Lake Champlain in mid February and have two options and was wondering if anyone had insight as to which one was better? Hibbard Bay Near Abenaki RD or the very southern end of Grand Isle to the west of Robinson Point. (where east shore road ends). Any tips you could offer as well as species i could expect to catch in that area would be appreciated! Never fished in VT or the BIG Lake for that matter. Thanks!
What do you want to fish for?

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 30, 2018, 02:12 PM »
I'm used to jigging for lake trout and setting tip ups for bass but i've never fished for Pike. I guess i'd really be going for whatever I have the best chance for catching really. I won't be super mobile because i'll be on foot. However, these locations are houses I've found on Air BnB and are lakefront so i'll just be walking on the hardwater from there. I DO have a flasher and Navionics.
Tight Lines!

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 30, 2018, 02:21 PM »
 i have looked at some rentals in that area too. any type of jiggin spoon with bait shoud catch both perch and pike. use 6-10 test fluoro. have fun.

Offline Hideebeez

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 30, 2018, 02:26 PM »
Robinsons would put you in perch lakers and salmon land.

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 30, 2018, 02:27 PM »
what depths do you normally target?
Tight Lines!

Offline Hideebeez

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 30, 2018, 02:29 PM »
what depths do you normally target?
35 fow and deeper.  I know some guys fish them in less but I look for deep areas by shoals and especially saddles.  If you find a saddle with deeper water near shallow humps my god youve found. Fish.

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 30, 2018, 02:49 PM »
35 fow and deeper.  I know some guys fish them in less but I look for deep areas by shoals and especially saddles.  If you find a saddle with deeper water near shallow humps my god youve found. Fish.

I assume you're speaking of Lakers correct? Also, what is the preffered baits and jigs? Baitshops close by?
Tight Lines!

Offline Hideebeez

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 30, 2018, 04:01 PM »
I assume you're speaking of Lakers correct? Also, what is the preffered baits and jigs? Baitshops close by?
Tubes. ripping raps. airplane jigs. Zoom flukes.  Basically anything that mimics an alwife. 

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 31, 2018, 11:14 AM »
What's the preffered live bait for tip ups? Any bait shops near the. Very southern end of Grand Isle? I'll be staying on East Shore Road.
Tight Lines!

Offline Milfoil_Hunter_VT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 31, 2018, 11:16 AM »
Dockside is my personal favorite but Bill's is in the area as well. Both solid options and have everything you need for bait.

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 31, 2018, 12:42 PM »
Also just want to make sure I'm not violating any laws.... how many lines are you allowed per person on Champlain? Rule is written a little funny to me.
Tight Lines!

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 31, 2018, 12:47 PM »
15 sir

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 31, 2018, 12:50 PM »
I just thought it was too good to be true, I thought it was total not per person! Also how heavy for fleoro do you rig for Pike and for trout? Tip ups right off bottom? Circle hook or treble?
Tight Lines!

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #14 on: Jan 31, 2018, 01:14 PM »
Just under the ice for pike.
Trout depends on the depth.
Circle my preference, tend not to hurt the fish as much.
Leader size 15 lb is all you really need with a good bearing swivel.
Good luck.
Champlain
Memphremagog

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 31, 2018, 02:24 PM »
I mainly use wire leaders for Pike, red ones if I can find them. I've tried Flouro but lost a few big fish at the hole and I seem to catch just as many on wire.  For trout it seems jigging is more productive than tip ups, at least from my experience.  And yes 15 lines is a lot, for one person it's quite a bit of work. I usually put out 8-10 tip ups and that's enough to cover plenty of water.

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 31, 2018, 02:37 PM »
Between my girlfriend and I we could put 30 but she's never gone so probably going to stick to around 15 since I'm doing all the work. The feed back I've been getting is Robinson Point isn't really a Pike spot. So I'm not sure I'll really be setting up for them, but I guess it wouldn't hurt to drop a couple shallow
Tight Lines!

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 01, 2018, 08:03 AM »
I just got a PM about some unique bait rules you guys have? One was that you can sell non predator species to bait shops as bait? Which I'm not really interested in as I'll be releasing everything. But also that when I get bait I need to keep the receipt so that the warden may verify where my bait is from if stopped? Is there any other unique rules I should know about?
Tight Lines!

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 01, 2018, 09:02 AM »
I just got a PM about some unique bait rules you guys have? One was that you can sell non predator species to bait shops as bait? Which I'm not really interested in as I'll be releasing everything. But also that when I get bait I need to keep the receipt so that the warden may verify where my bait is from if stopped? Is there any other unique rules I should know about?

Yes keep your receipt. You have to tell the shop where you plan on using the bait, which gets put on the receipt. A warden will look for the location and count. If you have more minnows than your paper says they can get you for it....also there is an expiration on the bait. 3 or 4 days, I forgot exactly. Call a bait shop and ask before you go to buy.

Offline troutcrazy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Feb 01, 2018, 09:43 AM »
One was that you can sell non predator species to bait shops as bait?
Some bait shops will buy your panfish, but not for bait.  For food.

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Feb 01, 2018, 09:57 AM »
Oh gotcha. Won't really be doing that anyways, pretty much releasing everything since I'm only there for 2 nights.
Tight Lines!

Offline flagfishon

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • You should have seen it! It was huge!
« Reply #21 on: Feb 01, 2018, 11:36 AM »
Also, the 15 lines includes any jigging rods, not just tipups

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 02, 2018, 07:56 AM »
Also, the 15 lines includes any jigging rods, not just tipups

Thanks!
Tight Lines!

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Feb 02, 2018, 08:10 AM »
is where i'm fishing considered the Inland Sea? Where exactly is that area? Reading some discouraging things about that area for lakers and salmon..... something about O2 levels?
Tight Lines!

Offline Crayfish2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Feb 02, 2018, 09:50 AM »
Yes, off Robinson's is the Inland Sea (everything north of Sandbar State Park and east of the islands).  I would not target lakers there, but there are certainly salmon in the IS.  Fish "hunts" minnows 5' or less under the ice.  Could also be pike, perch and walleye in that area.

You also mentioned "The Gut".  That is all shallow, weedy water.  Good pike fishing and can be good perch/panfish fishing at times.  Where you should go depends on what you'd rather target.

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Feb 02, 2018, 10:04 AM »
i'll probably set up for salmon on Saturday and fish Pike sunday morning. I know you fish salmon under the ice, but what depth in terms of water. do you find salmon relate to sandy bottom?
Tight Lines!

Offline Crayfish2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Feb 02, 2018, 10:58 AM »
I don't think the bottom matters much.  They are constantly swimming looking for something to eat.  I would start in at least 20' of water and wouldn't be afraid of setting up out to over 100'.  They aren't relating to the bottom, so the depth doesn't matter that much.  Due east of Robinson's Pt should be as good a place as any to set up for salmon.  DEEP water close by and most of that area is 30'+.  Good luck!

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Feb 02, 2018, 11:02 AM »
it has a pretty nice drop off too. I'll be sure to let you guys know how i do. I really appreciate all the feedback from everyone.
Tight Lines!

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Feb 02, 2018, 11:07 AM »
we want to see some fish pics.

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Feb 02, 2018, 11:10 AM »
we want to see some fish pics.

If i catch them, i'll share them! Everyone giving me all this great info and tips it's the least I could do.
Tight Lines!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.