Author Topic: WAX WORMS  (Read 919 times)

Offline GrabLifeByTheGills

• Team IceShanty Regular
WAX WORMS
« on: Dec 20, 2012, 01:45 PM »
Cabelas  in LaVista has wax worms $2.49 for 3doz

Offline jig4crappie

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: WAX WORMS
« Reply #1 on: Dec 20, 2012, 01:56 PM »
Good to see everyone is getting them in, Scheels $12/250 last week.

Offline Spark

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 20, 2012, 02:19 PM »
I just got mine online delivered to my door for $31 for 1000 or under $8/250.  Bring on the ice. :icefish:

Offline 12ICEFISH

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Can't catch, if you don't fish!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 20, 2012, 02:39 PM »
Already done used a bunch of mine from on-line! Grubco.com  order for myself and a bunch of friends.. Saves a bunch of $$$ Use it for beer later!
Herm Krepel

Offline eyewinder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 20, 2012, 04:38 PM »
When I buy more than a two or three dozen waxies at a time many turn brown, then black in my refrigerator.  I have decided that I probably spend less per live waxie applied to hook if I buy enough locally to make sure that I don't run out.  Bulk spikes (maggots) seem to keep better,  for me, than waxies. . .but waxies are available locally and spikes usually aren't.
"We are hunters. . .when the buffalo are gone, we will hunt mice. . ."  Sioux war chief

Offline Spark

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 20, 2012, 05:51 PM »
do not refrigerate wax worms they need to be kept closer to the 50 Deg mark.  Spike on the other hand need to be less than 40 Deg or they will turn to flies.

Offline Uncle Grumpy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 20, 2012, 05:53 PM »
Hey steve, I don't store mine in the fridge anymore. They seem to do better on the porch/entryway where temps fluctuate. Don't know why. Just bought a tub today for $8 but not sure of the number but not concerned as they will mostly be a Christmas present to my neighbor as I am  headed south in a week or two. First stop is Del Rio Tx home of Amistad lake where I see they have a bunch of bass tourneys in jan and feb. Will check out the San Antonio and Rockport areas too, i hope. And, there may be a HOG hunt on the way back in March. I will miss the hardwater for sure, especially the tourney at Box Butte with all the pike. April will be back to Pinedale for one last? time working at the golf course and fishing the Green river. :)

Offline eyewinder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 20, 2012, 11:40 PM »
UG:

Good suggestion--I'll find a place in our mudroom (probably same as your porch/entryway).  It seemed to stay in the low 50s, for the most part, while I was butcherin' there this past month.

If my deductive powers are accurate, and your initials were DH not too long ago, enjoy your Texas jaunt.  I keep telling my wife that I want to go farther NORTH when it gets cold, but she just doesn't get it.  And when you get to the Texas coast, please eat lots of seafood for me!
"We are hunters. . .when the buffalo are gone, we will hunt mice. . ."  Sioux war chief

Offline 12ICEFISH

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Can't catch, if you don't fish!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 21, 2012, 07:44 AM »
Keep them in a drier environment. somewhere between 45 and 55 degrees is the target area. I have a place in the basement/furnace room where there's a crawl space off the house. It's obviously colder in there, so I open the door partially, and keep them right on the ledge between the warm and cooler air. I always get them in December, and still have them when there's open water in the spring. You have to go through them every week and throw out the bad ones, and if the bedding is getting damp, get a new place to store them. I've never counted how many are in a tub when I get them, but I'm pretty sure there's more than the 250 that you're buying.
Herm Krepel

Offline jig4crappie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 21, 2012, 09:25 AM »
Yep mine are kept by a basement window with a thermometer on top of the tub. It stays right at 56-58 and the hold up great.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.