The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: hmm smeltyz  (Read 952 times)

Offline 187fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
hmm smeltyz
« on: Dec 12, 2008, 09:03 PM »
i was just wondering what yall prefer for smelt rigs and how ya did on GULL last year, i did the higgins thing and had a blast but i think gull is closer to gr? i used a sabiki rig and the smelt went into a frenzy, also used acouple lights it was crazy just watchin them throught the ice 4-5 at a time filled a 5gal bucket in about 3-4hours with 2 guys cant wait for smelt again. do they bite during first ice??

Offline deerjohn

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: hmm smeltyz
« Reply #1 on: Dec 13, 2008, 12:50 PM »
i was just wondering what yall prefer for smelt rigs and how ya did on GULL last year, i did the higgins thing and had a blast but i think gull is closer to gr? i used a sabiki rig and the smelt went into a frenzy, also used acouple lights it was crazy just watchin them throught the ice 4-5 at a time filled a 5gal bucket in about 3-4hours with 2 guys cant wait for smelt again. do they bite during first ice??
[
What the heck is a sabiki rig??  I fish Green and Crystal every winter and have used the little spoon with the hook hanging from a gold chain!!  We use Spike's for bait, both red and white....... DEERJOHN     

/quote]

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #2 on: Dec 13, 2008, 03:00 PM »
Did'nt do as well last year as the year before...maybe it's an every-other-year thing...I hope. My rigs:

1) Hali w/chain and gold hook, another 2 golds spaced 18" apart

2) Red on white Swedish Pimple w/ red hook, 2 add. red hooks

3) Waxies /  Spikes
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Big Joe

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 15, 2008, 09:22 PM »
Did'nt do as well last year as the year before...maybe it's an every-other-year thing...I hope. My rigs:

1) Hali w/chain and gold hook, another 2 golds spaced 18" apart

2) Red on white Swedish Pimple w/ red hook, 2 add. red hooks

3) Waxies /  Spikes

I use Hali's too, and I had a lot of luck last year with using the Gulp! waxies in a flouresent green color.  Best part of that was they hit the daylights out of them but didn't rip them up, they are kinda tough, and I didn't have to re-bait much.  Got the line back down a lot faster and I was getting four to everyone elses combinded one.  They wanted to know what the hell I was doing, told them I farted in the hole.  After they laughed there was a "seriously, what are you doing?" and was told I'd be lynched if I didn't share the bait.  then we all did well.  I still don't get any credit for blessing the holes...  But I was impressed with that fake bait that time.

Offline superslabs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 15, 2008, 09:35 PM »

A sabiki works great. Pearl in color seams best. We trim the skirt a bit, they seam to get it in there mouth faster. We also use a hali as weight. Then tie on a bunch of # 18 tear drops, one inch droppers of main.
The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.

Offline fishhead16

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 15, 2008, 11:02 PM »
Last year on Gull we used sabiki rig,the problem is there too long for the shanty. Yea you can trim them down but I found a hali/pimple with cut bait worked for me!!!!!
"TEAM STINKY PINKY"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.