The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Bluegill Rods  (Read 2472 times)

Offline fishinainteasy

• Team IceShanty Regular
Bluegill Rods
« on: Feb 13, 2008, 07:36 AM »
I am having serious issues with bluegill rods this season. I have broke 4 rods to date.Seems that the diameter of the pole is to thin and it breaks off anywhere from 2" to 5" down the blank. The last one that broke was a ST. CROIX. I went and returned it last night and bought 2 HT series rods...when setting them up i brought the line tight on one and the tip broke on that one!!!! Any suggestions on relialable, heavier, short bluegill rods that will last longer than a week or two??
Fish Hard Or Stay Home!

Offline TipupNomad

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Bluegill Rods
« Reply #1 on: Feb 13, 2008, 07:42 AM »
I have a Patriot Rod that I bought up in Iron Mountain that I really like. I just checked out their website but they have no pics up. I am going to look into getting a couple more. They are sensitive and durable - I have had mine for two years and it quickly became my favorite. 

Offline Rumrunner

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Awwwww, go for it.
« Reply #2 on: Feb 13, 2008, 07:56 AM »
I run a litlle line thru the rod and give it a decent bend once or twice before I buy em.  Ill bet by now those rods have been whipped around and flexed by grabbing the eyes by a dozen or better weekend warriors. 

I use the HT rods and have had no issues. 

M.I.R.C. 

Offline fishinainteasy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 13, 2008, 07:58 AM »
Dude I thought I picked goods one this time...read reviews on the HT and they look durable and priced fair......I am disappointed to say the least.
Fish Hard Or Stay Home!

Offline Rumrunner

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Awwwww, go for it.
« Reply #4 on: Feb 13, 2008, 08:04 AM »
Bummer...mine have got to be 6 years old???  Beat the hell out of them.  Well like they say..They dont make em like they used to.

M.I.R.C. 

Offline scavengerj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warm hands, warm feet and tight lines!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 13, 2008, 08:13 AM »
WoW! That does sound like some bad luck with the rods. I have many UL and noodle rods from various manufacturers and <knocking on wood> have never broken any of them. And yes, they do get used and abused. As Rumrunner suggested, put some line through them and check before buying. I will also spend at least 20mins. going over every little thing on the rod before I buy it:
1.  look at all the wrappings for any fraying
2.  check all the epoxy to be sure there are no cracks or that none of it is missing missing
3.  check guide alignments
4.  look to see how well the blank is seated
5.  make sure there are no edges or problems with each individual guide
6.  check the reel seats to be sure there are no problems
7. While flexing the rod lightly I'll hold the tip close to my ear and listen. On some fiberglass rods, if there are underlaying cracks in the blank you can sometimes hear the layers seperating and cracking
8.  carry my rods in a case
9. Kind of like a gun muzzle, I pay attention to where my tip is at at all times.
10.  make sure that I match the line with the rod
11.  never ever over-flex the rod for any reason

Not implying anything buy this, these are just the steps I go through to be sure I am not buying a bad rod to begin with and to make sure it will last. Just keep in mind that if they are coming off of a rack, as was stated, chances are alot of others have looked at them and some may not have treated them as the fine tool they are. Listening for any cracking while lightly flexing the rod is a good starting point for me. Any sound what so ever, and back on the rack that one goes.
DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA
RFA #1053456E

Offline Quack_Attack

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 13, 2008, 08:18 AM »
I have some UL, J. Higley, rods that I've used for well over 10 yrs now. They've held up well. Hardly ever break a rod tip, guess I'm just lucky. Only ones I've ever broke was cause something was dropped on 'em or slammed in a door etc. I have started using rod cases when transporting 'em in the truck or with an ATV as that's when most of my mishaps have occurred.

"If a man is standing in the middle of a forest speaking and there is no woman around to hear him...is he still wrong?"
- - George Carlin

Offline fishinainteasy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 13, 2008, 08:25 AM »
I think I am going to try and find a MORE STOUT ROD AND USE A SPRING BOBBER
Fish Hard Or Stay Home!

Offline Rumrunner

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Awwwww, go for it.
« Reply #8 on: Feb 13, 2008, 08:30 AM »

Great option. 

M.I.R.C. 

Offline scavengerj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 13, 2008, 08:31 AM »
If I am not mistaken, I have a couple of Frabill rods that are listed as UL yet, looking at the blank you'd think they weren't. They are a very sensative graphite blank. Even w/o a very thin tip section or a spring bobber I can feel every little tap when the outfit is balanced right. You may want to look into what they offer. I have a spring bobber on one to use when they are just sucking the bait in and spitting it out so that I can see the hits, especially from crappie who are notorious for biting upwards or spitting the bait out.
Wishing you luck  :)
DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA
RFA #1053456E

Offline fishinainteasy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 13, 2008, 08:31 AM »
Thanks for all the input fellas!
Fish Hard Or Stay Home!

Offline stalefish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 13, 2008, 08:33 AM »
Check out thornebros rods.  www.thornebros.com.  They are expensive, but they back their products and are the highest quality rods I have ever used.  I have a couple of sweet heart pluses I use for panfish.  I have landed some big fish on these rods while jigging for pannies, like a 35.5" northern, 30.5" walleye, and a 24.5" rainbow....  I've never had one of the graphite rods break since i've owned one---six years.  I've broke a fiberglass rod, but that was my fault.  

Offline zwalleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 13, 2008, 10:14 AM »
I like the miro-lite Ice Blues.  Haven't broke on yet and I've landed pike over 28 inches on them.  Plus they are fairly cheap in price. 

Offline polarfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ICE ICE BABY
« Reply #13 on: Feb 13, 2008, 10:23 AM »
the local schooley rods are the cats meow!! thats all i use for perch, crappie and gills.

Offline moldman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 13, 2008, 10:26 AM »
I Have used st. croix rods for years, including all my walleye rods for open water. Never had a problem with them. This winter I was introduced to Gregg Austin custom rods from Galesburg, MI, nothing like a custom rod for gills and perch. If you go to www.catch-n.com you'll see all the great reports on Austin rods and they are cheaper than a St. Croix, and made in Michigan,USA. Gregg's phone number is 269 998-6790, he's a great young talented rod builder.

Offline moosebait

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Some guys have bigger jig sticks then others!
« Reply #15 on: Feb 13, 2008, 10:30 AM »
I have been jigging with the same rods for over ten years.I love them they are Megmasters. Real stiff rods. I got them at Jeros Tackle co.inc. carteret NJ. 07008 You may be able to look them up online. I hope that will help you. Good luck!!

Offline fishinainteasy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 13, 2008, 10:30 AM »
Thanks guys.....I personally use Gloomis for open water...or Lamiglass....St. Croix is a good rod and I do have a couple for open water....but the quality is not there like it used to be.
Fish Hard Or Stay Home!

Offline gillgetter02

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Feb 13, 2008, 10:37 AM »
HT Ice Blue's are a great pole. I've used them for 5 years now, very sensitive, I love the neon red tips, I know many others that swear by them too.

Offline detroitroofer149

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish, you say let me get my pole..
« Reply #18 on: Feb 13, 2008, 10:40 AM »
i use a ugly stick 25" i bought a dunhams and its great....kids  stick is what i call it....very dependable and sensitive. its my favroite and its the pole i let the kids use...

Offline grubjigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish-On - Share the Love
« Reply #19 on: Feb 13, 2008, 10:50 AM »
Go to Cabelas or BPS and pick up a St Croix Legend at 40% off. 
Tip-Up!  Just Playing
Grub Jigger,

Offline fishinainteasy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 13, 2008, 10:56 AM »
Had one...it broke
Fish Hard Or Stay Home!

Offline Quack_Attack

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Feb 13, 2008, 11:06 AM »
Gander in Flint has all their ice rods and combos on sale 40% right now go in and take your pick.

Maybe ya ought to get a hardside gun case to carry your rods in like some guys as ya seem to have bad luck.

"If a man is standing in the middle of a forest speaking and there is no woman around to hear him...is he still wrong?"
- - George Carlin

Offline klzeprobe83

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Feb 13, 2008, 12:48 PM »
I always do extremely well w/my HT rods... Also, sounds crazy, but Wal-Mart has a rod, I cannot remember the name(Not close to my tackle, that is a little firmer, although you seem to feel some good action all of the time with it...

But preferably, I would recommend HT.

Offline fishinainteasy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 13, 2008, 01:16 PM »
I contacted HT customer service and they are going to replace my rods for me.....I am extremly happy with their customer service that is for sure!!
Fish Hard Or Stay Home!

Offline scavengerj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Feb 13, 2008, 01:22 PM »
I'd agree, get a hard-sided case. Even just a cheapie arrow case.
DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA
RFA #1053456E

Offline fishinainteasy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 13, 2008, 01:38 PM »
I don't break them from neglect...its just bad rods that I have purchased
Fish Hard Or Stay Home!

Offline slabgill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Crappie!!!!
« Reply #26 on: Feb 13, 2008, 01:39 PM »
Try a Genz rod!!!!!!

Offline outdoor junkie

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's walleye time!
« Reply #27 on: Feb 13, 2008, 08:51 PM »
I use st. croix 99% of the time, hard and soft water.  And I've never had a complaint.  But not everyone likes the same stuff.  Glad to hear the company is standing by their product.  Good luck.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.