The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: will this be first ice action twice in a year  (Read 2659 times)

Offline 187fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
will this be first ice action twice in a year
« on: Jan 19, 2008, 01:58 PM »
i was just curious if the fish will be active as they are for first and last ice? does this thaw and refreeze simulate 1st ice or are the fish active due to changing water temps or what? i guess what i would like to know is what is about 1st ice that makes the fishing so good!!

Offline empty hook

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: will this be first ice action twice in a year
« Reply #1 on: Jan 19, 2008, 04:25 PM »
i was just curious if the fish will be active as they are for first and last ice? does this thaw and refreeze simulate 1st ice or are the fish active due to changing water temps or what? i guess what i would like to know is what is about 1st ice that makes the fishing so good!!
  I don't think it will be.  The fishing will be the same as any other time in mid January. The time of year keeps moving along.

Offline fishinfool96

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Oh yeah!!!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 19, 2008, 04:47 PM »
With the cold right now I doubt that the action will be like early december. Maybe if it warms up the catching will too.

Offline Bajafishboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 19, 2008, 06:01 PM »
It might be good. When the ice melted maybe it let more oxygen in the water with no lid on it?

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #4 on: Jan 19, 2008, 06:19 PM »
Actually the amount of daylight is increasing every day now so it is different to the fish now. To me, every day I get out is like first ice !!!

:flex:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline djkruszewski

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • that's one big hole.
« Reply #5 on: Jan 19, 2008, 07:25 PM »
heck i want to just get out on the ice!!!
when fisherman fish alone, do they really catch fish??

Offline fishinfool96

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Oh yeah!!!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 19, 2008, 07:33 PM »
When you guys do get out I hope ya pound em. Good luck.

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #7 on: Jan 21, 2008, 02:02 PM »
I have a feeling this coming weekend it'll be very quiet on this site. Good ice is coming back and we'll all be out trying out all the new crap we bought after the thaw ... BECAUSE WE DIDN'T HAVE ANYTHING BETTER TO DOOO!!!
                      (sorry ... cabin fever setting in ...)

:tipup:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline Rumrunner

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Awwwww, go for it.
« Reply #8 on: Jan 21, 2008, 02:07 PM »
I have a feeling this coming weekend it'll be very quiet on this site. Good ice is coming back and we'll all be out trying out all the new crap we bought after the thaw ... BECAUSE WE DIDN"T HAVE ANYTHING BETTER TO DOOO!!!
                      (sorry ... cabin fever setting in ...)

:tipup:
NBG

I agree....  Ill be out earlier than that.   

M.I.R.C. 

Offline RealityCheck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 21, 2008, 02:17 PM »
Lobes,

You hit the nail on the head.  I don't think my wallet can survive another thaw.  The sporting good stores should of made a killing this year on ice fishing gear!  I just finished putting in my box  the last jigs I bought over the weekend.  There are way to many pretty jigs in there.  I need to loose a few and scuff the paint up on the rest.  I even stocked up on bait.  I figure I will be catching and cleaning so many fish I won't have time to mess around at the bait shop!  If you guys don't want to venture out on the thin ice yet this week, and can't wait to fish.  I recommend that you re-tie your hooks, double check gear, fill up the lantern, and stock up on other needs for fishing.  THIS WEEKEND IS GOING TO BE WILD!!!! :woot: :woot: :woot: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :clap: :clap: :clap: :icefish: :icefish:
Bullet with a name on it.

Offline c2223

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 21, 2008, 06:37 PM »
Stay with the weeds and keep small, this is not like the first ice!

Offline Rumrunner

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Awwwww, go for it.
« Reply #11 on: Jan 21, 2008, 08:22 PM »
Lobes,

You hit the nail on the head.  I don't think my wallet can survive another thaw.  The sporting good stores should of made a killing this year on ice fishing gear!  I just finished putting in my box  the last jigs I bought over the weekend.  There are way to many pretty jigs in there.  I need to loose a few and scuff the paint up on the rest.  I even stocked up on bait.  I figure I will be catching and cleaning so many fish I won't have time to mess around at the bait shop!  If you guys don't want to venture out on the thin ice yet this week, and can't wait to fish.  I recommend that you re-tie your hooks, double check gear, fill up the lantern, and stock up on other needs for fishing.  THIS WEEKEND IS GOING TO BE WILD!!!! :woot: :woot: :woot: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :clap: :clap: :clap: :icefish: :icefish:

Well put......well put...

M.I.R.C. 

Offline jjmoser

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • give me cold temps and I'll keep em comming
« Reply #12 on: Jan 22, 2008, 08:13 AM »
Fished the marl pits in Chelsea and it was on fire like a normal first ice.  Lots of 8-9 inch gills a couple of undersized crappie and some pike one was 27 inches.  Fished Whamplers yesterday (good 4 inches of black clear ice) and caught fish like it was mid ice, 1 small crappie.  I dunno maybee some lakes will have first ice benefits and others no.  Or maybee I was in the wrong spot at Whamplers,
I was right off the swim area first good thick weed bed.

Offline Quack_Attack

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 22, 2008, 08:57 AM »
Would think the open water and winds would have pumped oxygen into the water and sunlight woulda kept those still green weeds alive and pushed the mid-winter period back a few weeks. Plan on fishin' on or near first ice spots for fish. Hope to get out this afternoon I saw a few guys out locally yesterday afternoon.

"If a man is standing in the middle of a forest speaking and there is no woman around to hear him...is he still wrong?"
- - George Carlin

Offline IcingSomeSlabs

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 22, 2008, 10:12 AM »
With the cold right now I doubt that the action will be like early december. Maybe if it warms up the catching will too.
Its supposed to be 41 and rain here Monday.. Might be first ice three times..  Sunday should be good hopefully..

Offline icecaptain

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 22, 2008, 10:34 AM »
Its supposed to be 41 and rain here Monday.. Might be first ice three times..  Sunday should be good hopefully..

where u from slabs?
"the worst day of fishing is always better than a great day at work"

Offline IcingSomeSlabs

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 22, 2008, 10:53 AM »
where u from slabs?
Southwest of Grand Rapids about 75 miles or so.. Keeler is the closest party store to me..

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.