The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Walled Lake Pike Fishing  (Read 1810 times)

Offline DonnyMac

• IceShanty Rookie
Walled Lake Pike Fishing
« on: Dec 19, 2007, 02:17 PM »
After some tips about ice conditions I am going to go jigging for pike on Friday.  I need to buy a pole for this and wonder if anyone has a suggestion for a set-up, or a favorite bait they use for pike.  All I have ever done is run a sucker 2-3 feet below the ice on a tip-up.  I want to fish in the shanty for the pike.

Offline 10FrozenToes

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Walled Lake Pike Fishing
« Reply #1 on: Dec 19, 2007, 10:00 PM »
Is that walled lk on 43 I thought that was private. Try a vertical jig called a Swedish pimple. I usually fish a med. sucker on a treble hook my own 16" ultra light steel lead 4-10 ft off bottom and have done well.

Offline fishinfool96

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Oh yeah!!!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 19, 2007, 10:07 PM »
I second the swedish pimple. The one with green prism on one side worked for me. Got a 36" out of a lake that usually only produces hammerhandles. Stick a good size sucker or golden shiner on there and your set.

Offline 10FrozenToes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 19, 2007, 10:23 PM »
That is the very same one I caught the only pike one day on Musk. Lk. DNR said they where out heavy that whole weakend and only seen a few . I seen DNR 4:30ish on sun. He said only one he had seen all day.  It was a pitty 26" too. Still a good lure. Is Walled private?

Offline DonnyMac

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 20, 2007, 08:19 AM »
I don't think it is private, I guess I have never really paid attention.  My fiance's uncle lives near the lake and has access so I just walk through where he always tells us to go.  Fished there this summer a few times and there are a TON of pike there.  We had pike hit everything from rubber worms to night crawlers.  Makes me think that will be a pretty good place for it in the winter.  I got some tips on another forum as to exactly where to fish on the lake.  If anyone is interested in going on Friday let me know.

Offline slambert042

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 20, 2007, 10:23 AM »
hey whats up man? i live almost right on the lake, and have done my fair share of fishing on it. The pike numbers seem to be up this year to me because some days we could catch 15-20 in 2 hours, but they've all been between 20-26" range. I caught a 34" 9lber way back in the late spring down by the dam area. I do most of my fishing around the point though through the ice. Hopefully I'll see you out there! If you see a blue shapell rectangular shanty out  come over and say hey. oh ya btw i drilled a few holes out there monday and the ice was a solid 4-5 inches about 100 yards out on the west side of the lake

Offline DonnyMac

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 20, 2007, 10:26 AM »
I will be out there on Friday.  I am not hard to spot.  I will be wearing all blaze orange snow suit and fish in a black shappell 3000 rexctangular shanty.  I'll set up a few tip-ups as well.  There will probably be 3 of us out there.  My name is Don and my cell phone number is 313-727-5713.  If you want a report before coming out or have any news to tell me feel free to give me a call.

Offline slambert042

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 20, 2007, 10:51 PM »
this evening i went out there with my buddy he just got back home from school so we had like 45 minutes of fishing before dark. We put out three tip ups, and ended up getting 1 pike. It was 26 inches but swallowed the hook, and we were in such a rush to get out there we forgot the pliers :embarassed:. I'll be out tomorrow morning with my girlfriend so i'll see you out there. Ice seems solid too, looks like its gonna be a good year!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.