The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Lake Mitchell Help  (Read 1373 times)

Offline Chaddar

• IceShanty Rookie
Lake Mitchell Help
« on: Dec 11, 2007, 03:44 PM »
Looking some help.  I plan on going to Lake Mitchell this Saturday.  Hopefully someone on these boards can give me some insight.  The weather today has ruined the ice around me.  I mainly fish for gills, croppie and perch.  Wouldn't mind throwing out a tip up for pike, but I've never done that before.

Any ideas on ice conditions and where to go would be very appreciated.

Thanks.

Offline BigRocks

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Lake Mitchell Help
« Reply #1 on: Dec 12, 2007, 01:48 PM »
try big cove straight out from camp torenta. dont know how much ice but im sure its fishable.
n/a

Offline Chaddar

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 12, 2007, 04:24 PM »
Thanks for the info.  I will post ice conditions and results when I get back.

Offline panfisher07

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 12, 2007, 07:13 PM »
 was up in cadillac last weekend and saw sleds on the ice. mainly running the shore line. there's a party store called thirstys off m-55,right across the street is a small parking area. Some nice deep pockets with gravel. Ive always had good luck here.

Offline Chaddar

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 14, 2007, 09:05 AM »
Thanks to everyone for their help.  I was also told to go out in Big Cove, over by the Boy Scout's camp ground.

I called up to a local bait shop yesterday and he said the ice has 6 inches and there was some snowmobile and 4 wheeler traffic on it.  He also said he wouldn't be driving his sled on it anytime soon.  People has been fishing for a couple of weeks.

I'll report more when I get back.  Going for panfish and pike.

Chaddar

Offline BigRocks

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 14, 2007, 01:15 PM »
the boy scout camp is camp torenta. its not actualy a boy scout camp so i dont know why they call it that.
n/a

Offline Chaddar

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 17, 2007, 09:38 AM »
Thanks to everyone who replied.  Here is what I found:

Went to Lake Mitchell Saturday.  Got on the ice around 8 am.  Ice was 7 inches thick with a few snowmobiles and 4 wheelers on the ice.  I went out to the Big Cove area.  I could mark fish on my vexilar, but didn't catch anything.  Only 1 small pike, 1 perch and 1 croppie.  My partner could a total of 12 fish, bluegill and croppie, but only kept 6.  We sat on the ice for around 7 hours.  We sat out 2 tip ups, both of which had the heads bitten off, but no flag.  I'm guessing they were small pike taking an easy meal.

One guy next to us did catch 3 pike in the late afternoon on tip ups.  Only 1 was a keeper.  I talked to a couple guys around us and they weren't catching much easier.  Only small gills and croppie. 

Must have not been my day.  I'm guessing with the front that moved through, that hurt us a little.  I know the drive home to Grand Rapids was interesting that night, lots of snow.

Chaddar.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.