The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Pike Mouths?  (Read 3097 times)

Offline swampbuckster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I.S. FOR LIFE! <(((((><|
Pike Mouths?
« on: Mar 07, 2007, 10:31 AM »
I have alot of friends who say that a Northerns mouth gets "soft" or they loose teeth and won't hit this time of year. Has anyone else heard of this? I know they are getting ready to spawn but I don't see why that would effect their mouths ???
You may call me crazy, but crazy catches fish!

yarndt52

Re: Pike Mouths?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 07, 2007, 10:48 AM »
ya.. there gums get really sore and puffy.. sure does seem to effect the bite here in MN..

walleyechaser

« Reply #2 on: Mar 07, 2007, 11:40 AM »
myth!!!!

The eat all year long.

Offline swampbuckster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 07, 2007, 11:47 AM »
That's sort of what I was thinking. I caught 2 on tip-ups last last weekend. I seem to catch them late ice every year!

Offline nelsonk44215

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Mar 07, 2007, 12:42 PM »
we always have good luck late in the season, i think it is because the big females are bulking up for spawning. They seem to be a bit more aggressive to this time of year, we are not getting as many runs where they take it out at spit the bait.

Nelson

Offline Michiganmallard

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 07, 2007, 02:01 PM »
I agree with nelsonk44215.  Late winter pike fishing is great- they seem to eat anything and everything they can to get nourished enough for the spawn. 
I've not heard of the soft mouth thing- don't know if it's true or not but I don't believe it affects the bite any.

Member: Michigan Trappers Association, National Trappers Association, Michigan Duck Hunters Association, Wetlands Foundation of West Michigan,  Michigan United Conservation Clubs,  National Rifle Association, & Delta Waterfowl
Preserve our right to Hunt, Fish, & Trap.  BECOME A MEMBER.

Offline calvin21

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My best!
« Reply #6 on: Mar 07, 2007, 02:09 PM »
i heard about this a couple years ago in a book. they said that pike getting sore mouths is a myth and that pike are always losing or breaking their teeth and it does not affect there mouths.

Offline Rumrunner

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Awwwww, go for it.
« Reply #7 on: Mar 07, 2007, 02:11 PM »
If I had the spines from gills and Perch and who knows what else cuttin the heck outta my gums...well, I would be puffy too.  LOL

M.I.R.C. 

Offline empty hook

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Mar 07, 2007, 06:07 PM »
I have alot of friends who say that a Northerns mouth gets "soft" or they loose teeth and won't hit this time of year. Has anyone else heard of this? I know they are getting ready to spawn but I don't see why that would effect their mouths ???
I had a big pike hit my bluegill camera yesterday,put 3 Socrates and one tooth mark on it,if it's mouth wasn't sore before it probably is now.

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 07, 2007, 06:14 PM »
It's not a myth.  Up here, it usually starts happening the last week of January.  Open a pikes mouth sometime after you land it and take a look.  Some people say the teeth fall out, some say the gums swell and cover the teeth, I say whatever, the teeth are either gone or covered for the most part.  You open a pikes mouth and only see one or 2 teeth and try and argue that fact......Esox
Marine Infantry NCO- Semper Fi!!!

Offline swampbuckster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Mar 07, 2007, 08:34 PM »
It's not a myth.  Up here, it usually starts happening the last week of January.  Open a pikes mouth sometime after you land it and take a look.  Some people say the teeth fall out, some say the gums swell and cover the teeth, I say whatever, the teeth are either gone or covered for the most part.  You open a pikes mouth and only see one or 2 teeth and try and argue that fact......Esox

Well, if it is true, obviously they still have to eat! That's good enough for old Mr.  :tipup:! Hmmmmmmm.......I could make millions making dentures for Northern Pike! ;D

Offline skulldugary

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #11 on: Mar 07, 2007, 10:06 PM »
Myth.....

Offline Rumrunner

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Awwwww, go for it.
« Reply #12 on: Mar 07, 2007, 10:08 PM »
Myth???  No way...Ive seen pike with dentures....LOL

M.I.R.C. 

yarndt52

« Reply #13 on: Mar 10, 2007, 12:05 PM »
it usually happens around the end of january and seems to continue for a few weeks before the bite picks up.. ya you will still catch some here and there but not nearly as many as normal.. i've seen many pike with swollen puffy mouths...

Offline azz7772

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Mar 10, 2007, 12:31 PM »

my argument is that you were probably fishing in a real popular spot and that you caught the dummest fish in the lake he probably has been caught a couple dozen times hence the no teeth   :P     ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

Offline swampbuckster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Mar 10, 2007, 01:49 PM »
my argument is that you were probably fishing in a real popular spot and that you caught the dummest fish in the lake he probably has been caught a couple dozen times hence the no teeth               

The pike could also of been addicted to crack. That might be why he has no teeth! ;D           

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.