The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: How many years have you been ice fishing?  (Read 8850 times)

Offline Theshad

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: How many years have you been ice fishing?
« Reply #90 on: Dec 07, 2018, 10:19 AM »
I'm 28 now, started tagging along with my dad when i was 5-ish. So 23 yrs. Although I did a lot more sliding around and throwing snowballs than fishing when I was little, still fun.

Offline flyingknee!

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #91 on: Dec 07, 2018, 06:12 PM »
59 yrs old, since 12 yrs old = 47 years. Like to know how many holes I've drilled with my gas drill. More holes than fish no doubt.

Offline Stickhick86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #92 on: Dec 07, 2018, 06:17 PM »
I started in High School. Got out of it when I joined the Army. Got back into it when I came back home so somewhere around 12 years or so I would say
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to ice fish, have his wife mad for ever.

Offline Petros

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #93 on: Dec 08, 2018, 05:19 AM »
I’m too old to remember😝

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #94 on: Dec 08, 2018, 05:31 AM »

Little over 4 decades  without a chaperone ,

Offline TAP66

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #95 on: Dec 09, 2018, 07:47 AM »
I have also been ice fishing for 4 decades as well.
I don't mind if you sit next to me as long as you are a fisherman who cares about the resource.

Offline ticktoc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #96 on: Dec 09, 2018, 03:32 PM »
My addiction for ice fishing started in 2006. Started out with tip-ups for bass or whatever would bite. Then got a flasher 2009/2010 and have been chasing the pan fish ever since. My goal this year is to pull some walleye through the ice

Offline dstockholm

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #97 on: Dec 10, 2018, 02:44 PM »
I used to ice fish when I was a kid then took a few years off and focused mostly on open water now I’m getting back into it hardcore, literally cannot wait until there is safe ice in NEPA

Offline Fishbreath

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #98 on: Dec 10, 2018, 05:19 PM »
40+
My wife is a widow during ice season.
ice shanty #53
VBA #299
retirement is't all its cracked up to be.................... ............its better

Offline troy_built68

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #99 on: Dec 10, 2018, 05:20 PM »
about 35

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #100 on: Dec 10, 2018, 05:35 PM »
About 45 years give or take.  Fond memories of my Dad and I fishing together; no flashers, no graphs, a spoon auger, and our poles were the tips of cheap open water rods cutoff to make ice rods which we glued into pieces of 1 X 2 pine for jigging rods.  I can remember how excited we both were when we got our first Schooley Rods(I still have them).  I know we got skunked plenty of times, but my memories are of the days we couldn’t keep our lines in the water.

DN
DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

Offline shooter82

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #101 on: Dec 10, 2018, 07:18 PM »
I'm 36, I ice fished off and on with my dad when I was a kid growing up in Nebraska, but really got serious about it when I was in college up in Maine, I guess what else are you going to do in Maine in the winter time? I guess  I got spoiled up there, drive your truck or snowmobile out and go ahead! I love fishing new spots here in PA, going up to maine in February, cant wait! good luck to everyone this year.

Offline chris555

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #102 on: Dec 10, 2018, 08:41 PM »
I am 40, started when i was roughly 9-10 years old with my friend and his father. I took a long break and only fished open water, until 12 years ago I got back into it and been hooked since! Thanks to technology and ice shanty for helping me be a better hard water fisherman.

Offline rlusk3030

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Team Treehouse
« Reply #103 on: Dec 10, 2018, 09:19 PM »
28 years old and this will be my 7th year. I got hooked in college and have been adding gear to my collection ever since.

Offline IceFishinAdam

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #104 on: Dec 10, 2018, 09:36 PM »
I have been ice fishing for 2 years going on my 3rd located in the lake Wallenpaupack region!

Offline Allejo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #105 on: Dec 11, 2018, 03:27 PM »
This will be my second full year. Last year was pretty good while we had ice in SEPA.
Fish are like beer. After 10 I lose count.

Offline shooter82

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #106 on: Dec 11, 2018, 07:45 PM »
hey icefishinadam, any ice on the coves at Wallenpaupack yet?

Offline browny7492

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #107 on: Dec 11, 2018, 08:40 PM »
40 years

Offline ice-phanatic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #108 on: Dec 11, 2018, 08:57 PM »
I'm about to turn 30, and this will be my 17th season ice fishing!

This is my first post on ice shanty for the 2018-2019 season. Been on Ice Shanty 6 years now.

Also proud to say...when people ask me where I ice fish, I reply...."You name the lake in eastern PA, chances are I've ice fished there". Hope to keep expanding those lakes and for a great ice season coming up!

Offline NEZ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Good fishing and safe ice
« Reply #109 on: Dec 11, 2018, 09:57 PM »
Age 45, Ice fishing for around 10 years now or as my wife says...too long ::)

Offline newberry kid

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #110 on: Dec 12, 2018, 08:28 AM »
I just turned 61 and I have been ice fishing since I was 8 years old. That makes it 53 years  ! We used hatchets to chop thru the ice !

Offline icebucketjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #111 on: Dec 12, 2018, 08:33 AM »
61 Yrs., Been on the ice since I was 5 yrs old... Still love it.

Ice-Fisherman: We're all highly addicted, shivering, psychotic patients in the asylum of the frigid.

Offline Tjtroutslayer89

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Team ConnectScale
« Reply #112 on: Dec 12, 2018, 08:37 AM »
Three years ice fishing, my whole life normal fishing. Finally got so bored in the winter I started buying gear. This is my fourth season and i feel like I've just gotten the hang of it. Went out for the first time of the year a couple days ago and got into some perch right away whereas a couple years ago I would've fished all day and caught one. It definitely takes some learning. Hats off to all the veterans who put in the work out there!

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #113 on: Dec 12, 2018, 08:46 AM »
started 71 years ago.  And still at it, thus the IFF = IceFishingFool.
Bud

Offline hotrod5552

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #114 on: Dec 12, 2018, 09:06 AM »
 :tipup:i started about  4yrs. ago  always wanted to try it  as i have always fished.then some of my retired buddies invited me along.been enjoying it ever since.cant wait to get on the ice this year.2 yrs. ago i bought a flasher and tookmy son and grandsons down to howard . put my hunting blind up started the heater up drilled the holes and showed my grandson the way the flasher worked.he told me let me watch for 7 min. and i'll know how to use it.and so he did and now him and his dad also are hooked.now i have to get 4 more grandsons into it as i feel it makes for good family time.thanks for reading my post and i enjoy reading others posts as well as the lake reports. hotrod5552

Offline hard water jim

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #115 on: Dec 12, 2018, 05:06 PM »
Went with my dad when I was 10 then took 48 years off and now am completely ICE CRAZY. Been back at it for about 5 years now. Can't wait for the ice and since I am retired that makes it even worse. Ice can't come soon enough in NE PA and usually leaves way to soon!
If you think your going to have a bad day you will seldom disappoint yourself!

Offline theTUGistheDRUG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #116 on: Dec 12, 2018, 08:06 PM »
I went once in the Poconos when I was a young pup with my pops, and a fellow and his kids that were more experienced.  We used mainly tip ups and caught perch, but I recall one of the guys sons jigging up a near state record pickerel that he got mounted.  I remember thinking that guy who put his hand down the hole to pull out that monster must be nuts!!  I must have been 12 or so.  I did not catch the bug again until after college; as priorities change with life...  I am 32 now and I have been an avid hardwater warrior for the past 7 years and I am getting more engrossed with each passing year.  I do mainly long weekends in NY (Oneida primarily, will be hitting LG this year weatherman wiling), day trips in PA (Wallenpaupack, Nockamixon, local ponds).  Many bucket list destinations on the short list (Temagami and Simcoe) to name a few.  Always searching for new hot spots and tools to add to the arsenal!  As the name suggests, the TUG is the DRUG!  Big or small I like to catch them all.     

Offline walleyedan

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I live for ICE fishing!!!
« Reply #117 on: Dec 12, 2018, 08:10 PM »
Went with my dad and grandpa and I never stopped.  It's been 62 yrs in a row now and still counting.  The wife is supposed to put the poles in the casket with me.  I just hope she doesn't keep her favorite one out.

Offline Beagleboy32

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #118 on: Dec 12, 2018, 08:30 PM »
I'm 26 years old been ice fishing with my dad since I was probably about 4 years old and we are gearing up for another good season

Offline 4seasonfishrman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #119 on: Dec 12, 2018, 09:29 PM »
Been fishing since i was a kid but only have been ice fishing for maybe the last 10 yrs and half of those years we haven't had ice.  I remember the first year I got into ice fishing I went out with a friend several days in a row.  We had no idea what we were doing.  First day we fished for a few hrs with no success, the next day my friend missed a trout, the third day we crushed them and caught trout all day.  After that I was hooked on hard water fishing.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.