Author Topic: Helix 7 for ice  (Read 557 times)

Offline graybeard1

• Team IceShanty Regular
Helix 7 for ice
« on: Sep 13, 2019, 08:23 AM »
  I bought a Helix 7 for my boat this year, and I'm thinking about setting it up for ice also. I currently use a Vexilar FL-22.  I'd appreciate any thoughts or comments, which is better, is it worth it, etc?

Offline MC_angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Helix 7 for ice
« Reply #1 on: Sep 13, 2019, 09:07 AM »
Only you can answer is it worth it

For me, having the GPS/map on the Helix 7 is a crucial feature, regardless of ability of the sonar. The ability to mark waypoints, and to transfer between soft and hard water, is amazing. That alone to me makes it worth it. YMMV

Offline vanhln

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Sep 13, 2019, 10:43 AM »
Graybeard, you can also use the Lake Master chips and load the lakes you frequent.  Those maps show you the elevation and dips and points of lakes while you fish.. I love my Helix 7.  Has flasher style display too.  The ability to mark waypoints is fabulous.

Offline jimhaney08

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Sep 13, 2019, 10:58 AM »
I agree that it's totally up to you.  If you do decide to use your Vexilar, you can always get the Navionics app for your phone.  That has mapping and waypoint capability as well.
My Setup:  Otter XL sled on a smitty.  10" Strikemaster Lithium 50 Volt auger.  Clam Bigfoot XL 2000 hub.  Garmin Striker 5 Ice Bundle.

Offline piersm2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Sep 13, 2019, 12:52 PM »
Love my Helix 7.  Going to be buying a lakemaster chip here shortly, but works great.
Minnesconsin born and raised

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.