Author Topic: Transporting bait bucket on a ATV?  (Read 5844 times)

Offline bluedog

• IceShanty Rookie
Transporting bait bucket on a ATV?
« on: Jan 12, 2009, 08:32 AM »
Looking for ideas on how to carry my shiner bucket on my quad.I have the front and rear racks that I can strap down my auger and gear but can't find a good way to carry the shiners.I put the  bait bucket into a 5 gallon bucket but still not the best after 2 miles of railroad track and power lines.Got to be a better way.

Offline Tainterslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Transporting bait bucket on a ATV?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2009, 08:37 AM »
Some people use small 1-2 gallon coolers. They can be strapped down and pretty much water tight.

Offline Adam Bomb

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Walleye Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2009, 08:43 AM »
Kodiak Outback sells a 3 bucket rack that mounts on the rear of your quad, yet leaves the quads rack open for use. Buddy has one. Carries bait, fish, and miscelaneous items in the 3 buckets. They also have a single bucket rack.

http://www.kodiakoutback.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=35

Get your MOJO rising.
Adam

Offline damanfrgr

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Well I guess!!!LETS DO THIS
« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2009, 08:43 AM »
SLOW
FISH:)mmm good

Offline ToeCheese

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 12, 2009, 08:45 AM »
I find that a milk crate straped to the rack and put the bucket inside works well

Offline Adam Bomb

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Walleye Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: Jan 12, 2009, 08:46 AM »
Heres the only pic i could find of his quad with the set up....Look under the fender and you can see the buckets hanging down. On the right you can see the blue netting. He puts that over the top to secure things...You could use a lid though if you wished.

Get your MOJO rising.
Adam

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #6 on: Jan 12, 2009, 08:51 AM »
My four wheeler has Nerf type protectors for the foot pegs. Mine has a webbing material so I set bait containers ect. on the wings that stick out between the wheels.
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline highsparks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 12, 2009, 09:41 AM »
   I use the three bucket rack and I have the Gamma screw off lids on my buckets .  This keeps snow out and the water in.   Works great for a fish bucket also....
Its better to be thought an idiot , than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.......

Offline boy wonder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 12, 2009, 10:56 AM »

Offline WHITETAIL111

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 12, 2009, 01:03 PM »
Put your shiners in large 2gallon ziplock bags or clean tieable clear bags and then into your cooler or bucket.  This way the water doesn't slosh all over the place.  when you get to your site either pour in the bucket/cooler for the day or simply leave them in the ziplock for transport back.
That taxidermy man back home gonna have a heart attack when he see what I bring'em!!

Offline Jack Magnum

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 12, 2009, 01:16 PM »
Looking for ideas on how to carry my shiner bucket on my quad.I have the front and rear racks that I can strap down my auger and gear but can't find a good way to carry the shiners.I put the  bait bucket into a 5 gallon bucket but still not the best after 2 miles of railroad track and power lines.Got to be a better way.
I have milk crates U clamped to my racks,2 in back and 1 upfront. I put a section of hose slipped over u bolt so not to scratch, rack. I use a round drink cooler for bait and just pop it in the milk crate.

Offline Jack Magnum

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 12, 2009, 01:16 PM »

Offline IceFishinJoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Alcoholic
« Reply #12 on: Jan 12, 2009, 09:00 PM »
Been using it for years and love it, I think it was around $50 and I got it through Cabelas.

Offline Spin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 14, 2009, 02:44 PM »
    Ditch the bucket entirely and get a 1 gallon picnic jug. I've been using them for 20 years sledding into back lakes and driving around in the truck. Keeps minnows from freezing, or getting too warm, stops spilled water and dumped minnows. If the lid sticks from freezing a few bops on the side frees it up and the spout flipped out gives them air when needed or stored and acts like a reel handle for loosening or screwing the lid back on.
Try It!!.

Spin

Offline MILLERMANKT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 14, 2009, 11:35 PM »
Look on Sportsmans guide.com. I just saw one on sale for around $30. Had 2 rings for buckets and space in the middle for a milk crate. I think I'm gonna order one. Will work year round for hauling ice stuff, tools,etc.

Offline flagguy83

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "LETS GO ICE FISHING"
« Reply #15 on: Jan 15, 2009, 04:38 PM »
Take it slow

Offline Redhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish till it hurts!!!
« Reply #16 on: Jan 15, 2009, 07:24 PM »
Cabela drop down basket,or cheaper one in Sportsmans Guide

Offline Tainterslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 15, 2009, 08:24 PM »
Here is an idea. Get a foam tip up hole cover and cut it so it will fit the inside of your minnow bucket (whether you use the insulated insert, or just the plastic bucket). Push it down until it makes contact with the water.  Make sure you cut it so the foam fits tight. I have never tried this, but in theory it will reduce most all of the sloshing.

Offline Skeeter185

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 17, 2009, 08:32 PM »
millerman, I just finished mounting the same one from Sportsman Guide. It has the center spot for a milk crate. I can use the crate to pick up junk on the bay and other stuff in the 6gal buckets.  ;) Skeeter

Offline nyiceman23

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • WALKING ON WATER
« Reply #19 on: Jan 17, 2009, 08:36 PM »
Skeeter how was istallation of the holder?  Was it an easy direct fit or did you have to modify?

Offline Moosebunk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 18, 2009, 07:49 AM »
Remember... a bait bucket into a slightly bigger bucket with a lid.  Keeps ya from losing that precious water to splashing around, and the bigger bucket can be all rigged up to suit being strapped to your ATV, while your bait bucket does nothing but hold bait.
Wahtchoo Talkin' 'Bout Willis?

Offline donmac

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Lakes Region, NH
« Reply #21 on: Jan 18, 2009, 07:56 AM »
Koplin bucket holder - lots of places have them - no need to take it slow - one for bait one for tipups... and a flasher fits nice in between them

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.