Author Topic: Tyger Leader  (Read 1126 times)

Offline Donquad

• IceShanty Rookie
Tyger Leader
« on: Nov 17, 2007, 02:54 PM »
Has anyone used Tyger Line for a leader for icefishing?  Its sopposed to "tie like mono and fight like steel" I don't know how it would preform in colder temps. I do see it being better than a bulky steel leader. If anyone has used it please let me know what you think.
Thanks
Don

Offline jeepsw1

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Zippo Outdoor pro-staff
Re: Tyger Leader
« Reply #1 on: Nov 17, 2007, 03:17 PM »
tried it last year but have yet to land a fish on it.  I made the mistake of not removing it from my tip ups at the end of the season, and it coiled pretty bad on the spool.  Have had a pair of vice grips hanging from the leader for about a month now and the still have not managed to strighten them out

Offline Donquad

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Nov 17, 2007, 03:38 PM »
Did it coil at all thoughout last season? Or just after they sat all summer? I used 50lb floro last year and it coiled up bad after sitting just a day or two.  I am trying to get away from steel leaders but i can't seem to do it because of the thought of losing my trophy Pike or Muskie.  And I see this tyger leader as a happy medium.  What are your thoughts on spider wire?

Offline jeepsw1

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Zippo Outdoor pro-staff
« Reply #3 on: Nov 17, 2007, 03:44 PM »
Last season i only had 6 tip ups, so i rotated leaders often, depending on what i was fishing for. When they wern't in use i had them streched on a hook holder, so i didn't get any coiling.  Last time out was on a pike pond, and i just put them away after that trip without going through them.(last time i do that  >:()   

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 17, 2007, 03:46 PM »
ive used the malin boa no kink last summer for muskie. works good when tied but slips out of sleeves when crimped. i found out the hard way! for the money the uncoated multistrand steel in my opinon is the best bet. if it gets kinked after a fish i just cut the hardwear off and recrimp them on a new leader. takes a min. alot cheaper too! i like the brown camo stuff best.

Offline Master Angler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 10" Hole = Less tales of the big one that got away
« Reply #5 on: Nov 17, 2007, 07:55 PM »
I have used tyger leader, but only in the summer, and I never really liked it.  Kinks very easy, even when tying I've found.  For pike I have been using a product called twist weld and its great stuff, holds up well to many fish, no tying or crimping just melt it together, and comes in black, which I like.   This season I have some quick strike rigs made up with terminator titanium wire.  You can tie it but you can't get a neat knot out of it, so I used crimps.  Its fairly thin, dark colored, and should stand up to many pike.  The terminator premade leaders are amazing so I hope this is too.  And if you are thinking of spiderwire as leader material, its no good, pike will bite through it just as easily as mono.  I may try some 80-100lb floro this year too, tried 44lb this summer and snot rockets bit through it in no time, but as said already it tends to kink and coil bad in the cold.  I think I may also check out the malin boa no kink, it sounds like it could be the way to go, I am always trying new things looking for something better, and it sounds like really good stuff.

Heres the only online reference I could find for twist weld.  I use this in 50lb to make my quickstrike rigs for pike..

http://www.upnorthoutdoors.com/stamina/terminal_tackle/twistweld_leaderwire.html

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 17, 2007, 08:12 PM »
the boa no kink has no memory at all but its next to impossible to tie in a knot and slips out of the best crimped sleeves. lost a 20lb.+ muskie this summer boatside because the leader slipped out of the sleeve. i started testing the other doz. leaders i made up and half pulled out of the sleeve. i had the recommended sleeve size for the wire size i was using too! its just some slick stuff! ill stay safe and stay w/ my stranded stainless. just my 2 cents!

Offline Master Angler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 10" Hole = Less tales of the big one that got away
« Reply #7 on: Nov 17, 2007, 08:14 PM »
Good to know, thanks jacksmelt71.  Likely almost the same to tie as the terminator.  I have tested the terminator with a scale and they hold up, so hopfully it'll work good. 

Offline MeadowPikeman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Friends don't let friends fish without tip ups.
« Reply #8 on: Nov 17, 2007, 09:17 PM »
i recently bought 2 spools of malin boa no kink didn't find it too tough to tie just looks funny when you knots don't pack all the way down. this was with 60 # leaders.
Ketchin dem Logs enough to build a house!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.