Author Topic: Steehead Fly Rod  (Read 927 times)

Offline adkbrookie

• Team IceShanty Addict
Steehead Fly Rod
« on: Nov 13, 2007, 10:42 PM »
i am looking to buy a fly rod for steelies, i am looking for suggestions on wieght, length, and action. was thinking 8wt. fast action, 9'. also going to be getting line, was going to go high end with cortland 555 dyanatip. do any of you use this line and if so what do you think of it. some reviewers said it casts great but cracks in a short time, even with proper care. any suggestions on the rod or line would be great. thanks and tight lines.
"If fishing is interfering with your business, give up your business."  - Sparse Grey Hackle

"I wait. Now the night flows back, the mighty stillness embraces and includes me; I can see the stars again and the world of starlight. I am twenty miles or more from the nearest fellow human, but instead of loneliness I feel loveliness. Loveliness and a quiet exultation." - Ed Abbey

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
Re: Steehead Fly Rod
« Reply #1 on: Nov 14, 2007, 04:02 AM »
AdkBrookie,
I use a 9Wt. St. Croix Avid A909, (approx. number to my rod's number.)  Mod. fast tip works great with larger patterns as well as smaller egg and nymph patterns.  As for line goes, I like the Orvis line in this link...
http://www.orvis.com/store/product_choice.asp?pf_id=94G5&dir_id=758&group_id=2308&cat_id=8176&subcat_id=8124&bhcp=1
It held up extremely well while fishing steelhead in Washington state in some pretty cold conditions.  No brittle breakage or rottenness but then again I treat my line after every use...  Guess it depends how far you plan on shooting your line out?  I'd recommend this line for long shots, and ease of mending.
Hope this helps out?
TEAM ALASKA

Offline adkbrookie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 14, 2007, 06:49 AM »
also, how do you treat/take care of the line you use?
"If fishing is interfering with your business, give up your business."  - Sparse Grey Hackle

"I wait. Now the night flows back, the mighty stillness embraces and includes me; I can see the stars again and the world of starlight. I am twenty miles or more from the nearest fellow human, but instead of loneliness I feel loveliness. Loveliness and a quiet exultation." - Ed Abbey

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Length 47 3/4 " Girth 24" NY Northern Pike
« Reply #3 on: Nov 14, 2007, 02:46 PM »
Everybody uses something different, myself, I use a 10ft 7wt med action (custom) with Scientific Angler, Ultra 4 fly line, IMO there isn't a better make of fly line. I use fly line conditioner with an application box squirt a gob in the box and pull your line thru it. My suggestion would be to go to a local fly shop and see if you could take a rod for a test drive so to speak.
TeamNumbnutts on youtube ... Subscribe !
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=teamnumbnutts&sm=3

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #4 on: Nov 17, 2007, 11:13 AM »
I use a standard 3M line cleaner.  For years I used of all things, Armor All!  The same stuff you rub onto your dash.  It'll help that line scream out of your eyelets.
TEAM ALASKA

Offline adkbrookie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 17, 2007, 02:42 PM »
thanks guys, i think i am just going to go with new line and take care of it. us college students don't have a lot of $ to throw around. and i like being undergunned with my 8.5' 5wt. rod. it's more fun that way ;D. i've always had crappy line so in a way i'll be treating my self. i have tried some rods and really liked the tfo ticrx. oh well, i'll get one eventually.

thanks again and tight lines.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.