Author Topic: Preseason Scouting  (Read 952 times)

Offline winchester 88

• Team IceShanty Regular
Preseason Scouting
« on: Nov 11, 2007, 08:03 PM »
 Yesterday I took my boat,my Lowrance X102C.mygps,my map and a camera up north to one of the lakes where we icefish and searched for fish and structure in the areas that we go to.
 The water level was way down and revealed a lot of structure that you wouldn't know existed if you were there in the summer. I took a lot of pictures of this. Just wait until next summer!

Next I checked flats,weed beds,river and creek channels.Most of the fish that I found were holding to structure along the tops and sides of the river and creek channels,however in one area where we always catch fish I found lots of pockets and edges in the weed beds at 10-12 feet.These usually are good spots to fish.

One thing that I learned about my GPS was that if I set my secondary lat/longt coordinates to a function (on mine you chose DDDD whatever that means) and the reading shows like a decimal (that could be what DDDD means) and it looks like this:
063.45831N/51.65623W.

I found that the last 2 digits change with only a couple of feet of movement in any direction.This means( and I proved it to myself using a marker  to mark my original spot,pulling away and then returning back to my original coordinates)that it brought me back to within a couple of feet of my marker thus I can be more accurate in returning to my spot.

I hope that I wasn't too long winded but maybe it might help someone else.

Gettin ready!!!!

Winchester 88

Has the rain a father?
Or who has begotten the drops of dew?
From whose womb comes the ice?
And the frost from heaven,who gives it birth?
By the breath of God ice is given and the broad waters are frozen.
The waters harden like stone and the surface of the deep is frozen.

The book of Job.

Offline velcro29

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish ON!!!
Re: Preseason Scouting
« Reply #1 on: Nov 11, 2007, 11:17 PM »
Winchester I'm from NW PA, which lake was it???  Just wondering if it was Wilhelm, its been down for most of the summer, for dam repair.
[]

Offline IceRover

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 12, 2007, 05:30 AM »
  The water level was way down and revealed a lot of structure that you wouldn't know existed if you were there in the summer. I took a lot of pictures of this. Just wait until next summer!
Your right! Our levels were so low this year that I was able to fish one lake in particular in just such a way. Yeah it was really different than we thought it was from above the surface. It was very productive and we took quite a few pictures also. It takes some extra time but well worth the effort. Good Luck

Offline Blaine

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 12, 2007, 12:46 PM »
Yep, Now is the time!

I've been doing the same thing in between trips in the salt. http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=59839.0

I found a bunch of log cribs with my side imaging and them marked them in a hand held GPS for the winter. The cribs were loaded with crappie...

I feel like I'm more prepared this winter than I've ever been. Got the new shanty assembled, the auger is ready to go now we just need some cold weather  ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.