Author Topic: Still keeping track?  (Read 1081 times)

Offline IceRover

• Team IceShanty Regular
Still keeping track?
« on: Nov 11, 2007, 08:41 AM »
How many still record their fishing days on a calendar, journal or software today? If so do you find yourself more reliant on your records today or less so? Personally I use a wall calendar and record the lake, air temp, water temp open water, ice thickness hard water & fish caught all abbreviated of course. Just wondered if anyone else is looking through their old stack of calendars or other method for December to compare. I would say they are well worth the effort if you make the time. Sometimes it is difficult but the sooner the better depending on your memory. ;D I enjoy knowing how far ahead or behind we are from any given year. Right on these days seems rare. I rely heavily on mine to help make lake choices by current conditions and close matching previous successes. Just curious. Hope you have some new entries real soon! ;D

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Still keeping track?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 11, 2007, 09:00 AM »
Yep, I've been keeping an ice journal since 2003. It's fun to look back on it to see what worked on certain lakes and any things that happened then. I enjoy reading what we made to eat on those days.
Ken                                          

Offline tilted

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 11, 2007, 11:16 AM »
I still track and record every trip. Been doing it since 94. I've been getting more detailed lately with gps co-ords of holes and putting them on to maps of the lakes we fish.
Burn Baby Burn!!!!

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 11, 2007, 11:32 AM »
I do my best to record my trips, but I've been spotty with it.

I think I'm going to start keeping better records this season.

Offline elcapitanmas

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • explaining ice fishing is impossible
« Reply #4 on: Nov 11, 2007, 12:05 PM »
I kept a pretty decent record last year, but will do a better job this year.  There was a link I saw at some point that you could log your trips on, but I cant seem to find it.  Ill probably just keep track on the computer.  Never thought about water temp for my log, may have to try and keep track of that this year. 
I wish I had kept track of my open water season better, as I know I wont even come close to the number of eyes.
E

Offline Preacher_man

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Have a Real CRAPPIE Day!!!!
« Reply #5 on: Nov 11, 2007, 01:02 PM »
 I've been keeping a diary since '03 and it has really paid off. For example: Jan.29th '07 First day on the ice. Fished off the "point" caught 2 nice 12" crappies,2-perch,2-gills & a lot of little dinks. Fished from 4-6,caught most of them from 5-5:30. Very cold in th teens. Ice 6"thk. Teardrop was doing the trick.
   12/13/05 Fished Lake Jean 5-6" Ice Temp. 5 deg. caught 10 fish,pickerel,perch & gills Grn/white Hali
    12/21/04 First time on the ice!
     12/22/03 First time on the ice!
  Just an example from my records!
                                                 Preacherman  ::)
TEAM  PA.

Offline scavengerj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warm hands, warm feet and tight lines!
« Reply #6 on: Nov 11, 2007, 05:16 PM »
Spotty but do keep records and notes in a small notebook kept in the truck. Do also record info on my maps such as GPS co-ords and the like. During times of lake draw downs I also use GPS and take pics of specific pieces of structure. All of which help  :)
DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA
RFA #1053456E

Offline adkbrookie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Nov 11, 2007, 05:27 PM »
tried once, went too in depth and took too much time and i got behind easily. i know it isn't as effective but i am happier to keep the info. in my head. and i don't like counting more than five fish or so, loose track easily and get confused.
"If fishing is interfering with your business, give up your business."  - Sparse Grey Hackle

"I wait. Now the night flows back, the mighty stillness embraces and includes me; I can see the stars again and the world of starlight. I am twenty miles or more from the nearest fellow human, but instead of loneliness I feel loveliness. Loveliness and a quiet exultation." - Ed Abbey

Offline IceRover

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 12, 2007, 05:08 AM »
I enjoy reading what we made to eat on those days.
I think you hit the nail on the head Bean. We should add a new entry into our logs, that being pre-season & post-season personal body weight and cholesterol # for comparison. ;D The food is one of the best parts of fishing. Great reflection.

Glad to see the rest of us as mentioned are still keeping track. Whether we record only some or every detail, I think we agree that it really helps and I know I would find it hard to not have it as a reference. After all, it takes years to accumulate this info. Won't be long now till we dig them out and get busy comparing. Thanks

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.