Author Topic: Veteran's Day  (Read 2437 times)

Offline InSearchOfPerch

• Team IceShanty Addict
Veteran's Day
« on: Nov 10, 2007, 11:20 AM »
This Monday is of course Veteran's Day.  As a veteran myself I wanted to take a moment to thank all fellow servicemen and women on the site.  Every year all the bank employees, teachers, postal workers, etc...get the day off on Veternas day.  It is a Federal Holiday.  However, all the veterans who dont work in those areas of the labor field are stuck working.  Doesnt make much sense to me.  I think there should be a federal law that requires all employers who have employees that are veterans,  veterans that show the employer a dd-214 to show they served,  to be required to give them the day off...PAID.  Let everyone else work to cover for them.  Just an idea.  Anyways, I think it would be cool for all veterans on this site to post on this thread and give their branch of service, unit and dates they served...This way the rest of us could get a chance to see just how many of us there are on the site.

US ARMY
29th Inf Regt 1987-1989
82nd Airborne 1990 to 1992

Check out the video link, it says it all perfectly.

http://my.break.com/content/view.aspx?ContentID=106472   

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Veteran's Day
« Reply #1 on: Nov 10, 2007, 12:53 PM »
I think there should be a federal law that requires all employers who have employees that are veterans,  veterans that show the employer a dd-214 to show they served,  to be required to give them the day off...PAID.  Let everyone else work to cover for them. 

I agree with you. That's always been a peeve of mine.

USAF 1983-89
Ken                                          

Offline rich81

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 10, 2007, 01:04 PM »
USMC 1999-2003  SEMPER FI! 

Happy Birthday Marines  Nov 10, 1775 

Offline jimmygunns

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Add more bacon, son!
« Reply #3 on: Nov 10, 2007, 01:30 PM »
I don't belive in taking days off, unless I'm going fishing.   ;D  That does jack squat for an economy for a workforce to take the day off w/ pay just because, like MLK Day or something.  I did my job when I was in, because I wanted to do that.  I'm not special.  I don't need people to thank me.  I can't stand people that come up to me & say "I almost joined the Marines.", well you didn't.  Shut up.  Go back to work, it's not story time, you were not in with me, & this is not the movies.  It's life, sometimes it sucks, but you deal with it, not take a day off, unless you are going fishing!!!

Oh, & Happy Birthday Marines!!!!

Jim Ballard
USMC Sgt/6433
1994-1999

Offline InSearchOfPerch

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 10, 2007, 03:24 PM »
Well I guess that was my point Jim, I dont have enough days off to go fishing the way it is...If I had Veterans day off...Id be on  the water...Perhaps moving Veterans day to mid January would be better...then we would have some ice and taking the day off would be something to get excited about.  I think its just the principle of the whole day...I mean IF you are going to have a Veterans day, ...a day to honor all Veterans, perhaps maybe...THEY COULD BE THE ONES TAKING THE DAY OFF and not just Federal and state employees.  I mean really...how many here WOULDNT go fishing if you had the day off? 

Also, I dont look at Veterans day as a day to honor myself...obviously you dont either...I,  like you, feel somewhat uncomfortable when smothered with thank you's.  But I do honor those that served with me, before me, and especially those who sacrificed more than just time.  I made my choice to join because it was what I wanted to do.  But I didnt make theirs.  Some of them arent here to get the pat on the back that we feel uncomfortable receiving.  And that is why I think it's important to recognize Veterans Day as more than just a day off for federal employees.

Offline jimmygunns

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Add more bacon, son!
« Reply #5 on: Nov 10, 2007, 03:30 PM »
In that case, you have my go on that! ;D  I second the motion, move it to Jan. or Feb. then!!!

Offline Preacher_man

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Have a Real CRAPPIE Day!!!!
« Reply #6 on: Nov 10, 2007, 05:20 PM »

U.S.Navy
     U.S.S.Ranger  (cva-61)  "Top Gun of the Pacific"
     1970-1974     

TEAM  PA.

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 10, 2007, 06:02 PM »
U.S. ARMY  spc.   military police corps  1989-1993

Offline sparkman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Nov 10, 2007, 06:24 PM »
U.S. Navy Seabees
NMCB-74
1977-1982

Offline polarfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ICE ICE BABY
« Reply #9 on: Nov 10, 2007, 07:30 PM »
support our troops

Offline SleePac

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I'd Rather Be Ice Fishing!
« Reply #10 on: Nov 10, 2007, 07:38 PM »
US Navy
USS Puget Sound - AD 38
1991 ~ 1993

Offline princecraft

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #11 on: Nov 10, 2007, 07:53 PM »
U S  Navy  1961-1965.......Radioman......
USS Boxer  LPH-4     
Fisherman's Prayer
   I pray that I may live to fish
          Until my dying day.
And when it comes to my last cast,
       I then most humbly pray:
When in the Lord's great landing net
           And peacefully asleep,
      That in His mercy I be Judged
              BIG ENOUGH TO KEEP.

Offline dairyman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Nov 10, 2007, 07:53 PM »
US Navy  1963-1967
USS Coral Sea CVA-43

Offline XUSMC

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Nov 10, 2007, 09:15 PM »
Marine Corps
1987-1991
1371-Combat Engineer
Stationed at Camp Hansen, Okinawa Japan

Celebrated the 232nd Birthday of The Marine Corp by going fishing today.  Happy Birthday Chesty Puller, wherever you are! ;D

Offline jdm

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG UP!
« Reply #14 on: Nov 11, 2007, 04:38 AM »
U.S. ARMY MEDIC
2/5 cav- 1st Cav, Div Ft Hood Tx. 1985
4/32- 3rd Armor Div. Kirch-Goens west Germany 1986-1989

Offline Oldbear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Nov 11, 2007, 05:55 AM »
Thank You  Veterans past, present,& future. 

US Army
SP/4 Radioman
1966-1968

Offline backatit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Nov 11, 2007, 08:19 AM »
God bless the veteran. Without them you would would not have the freedoms to express your thoughts openly on this sight.

United Staes Army
1967-1995

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #17 on: Nov 11, 2007, 08:52 AM »
no dont move the day at all   after all it happens to fall on sunday so it wont affect the work week  think of those that served esp now    think of those that didnt have a choise drafted to protect what we thought was best...  think of those that volunteered  they didnt have to those that served are doing the work that we all request of them  the dirty work   Think of the guy thats out there at night his dinner comes from a brown plastic bag eating alone away from his wife and kids or mother and father   go to ebay  buy an mre and if you can find one a turkey one  thats the best some of them get these holidays  and they make the best of it   Im pro military   Ive spent time in bad places away from family  I salute   our bravest  esp as it is all volunteer

USAF 1976-1993
medically retired
100% for our troops
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #18 on: Nov 11, 2007, 11:04 AM »
I'm retired now. but where I used to work we used to get the Monday after Veterans Day off with pay. The employees that weren't veterans complained because they didn't want to take the day after Veterans day off because they weren't veterans and thought a different date would be better. The company made it a floating holiday that could be taken when a person chose depending upon needs of the business. I guess this worked better for all and I took it when I wanted to. I do think that Vets should be remembered in some way. My brother-in-law spent two tours in Nam and gets crapped on by his own family because he has had some war related problems later in life. I'm an old fart that served from 1965 to 1969. Been a long time ago.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline molsonport

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Nov 11, 2007, 02:00 PM »
USAF (S.A.C. ) 89TH M.S.S. 79-83

Offline holeinhide

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • have ice will fish!!
« Reply #20 on: Nov 12, 2007, 07:23 AM »
US. NAVY
1990-2010           OK so the date that veteran's day falls on or who is off or who is working is not what it is about, it's about how we got where we are as a country and remembering who got us here. As long as one person stops for just a Minuit and thinks of all who served, so we can be free to express our opinions on a web forum (like this one) with out fear of reprisal or punishment than it is a good day. As I went to work on Veteran's day I held on to my grandfathers neckerchief (the only uniform item he wore that i can use on mine) and thought thank god for the brave men and women who gave so much that I could choose the life I have and I go to work of my own free will.

Enjoy freedom? Thank a Vet.

Offline bowhuntken

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Nov 12, 2007, 01:07 PM »
usmc 1989-1993
usmc 1989-1993

Offline rezrunner

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Nov 12, 2007, 09:40 PM »
SGT.
SDARNG
1984-2001
http:/i44.photobucket.com/albums/f28/insearchofperch/logo1-1.jpg

Offline jmh8098

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Nov 13, 2007, 12:31 AM »
SPC. Hubert

New York Army National Guard

D-Co. 1-105 Infantry  2001-2004
D-Co. 2-108 Infantry  2004-2007

Active Duty

Balad, Iraq
1st Infantry Division 2nd Brigade Combat Team
D-Co. 2-108 Infantry

To those currently serving and won't be joining us on the ice this winter I will be flying an American flag from both my shanty and my clam in your honor and ask all my fellow ice shanty compadres to try and do the same.  Lets see if we can show some pride out on the ice this winter.

Jason

Offline icy mike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nope!
« Reply #24 on: Nov 13, 2007, 01:05 AM »
USAF Sgt, 616 CAMS, 1988-1992.

To all of those currently in Iraq, Afganistan, Kuwait, etc...  I DON'T CARE WHAT THE MEDIA SAYS!!!  YOU ALL ARE DOING A D@&N FINE JOB AND I COMMEND YOUR HEROISM!!!  THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!

Mike

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #25 on: Nov 13, 2007, 05:45 AM »
SPC. Hubert

New York Army National Guard

D-Co. 1-105 Infantry  2001-2004
D-Co. 2-108 Infantry  2004-2007

Active Duty

Balad, Iraq
1st Infantry Division 2nd Brigade Combat Team
D-Co. 2-108 Infantry

To those currently serving and won't be joining us on the ice this winter I will be flying an American flag from both my shanty and my clam in your honor and ask all my fellow ice shanty compadres to try and do the same.  Lets see if we can show some pride out on the ice this winter.

Jason
same here  always do! 
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.