Author Topic: Wipers  (Read 7851 times)

Offline hardh2ofish

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Wipers
« Reply #30 on: Nov 10, 2007, 08:04 AM »
I agree whole heartedly with toothfish  Wipers very good table fair.  Like he said though you have to clean them properly.  That white flaky fillet is hard to resist.  used to fish for them a lot in southern Ne and Kansas.   Have not fished them through the ice though but think they would stay with the baitfish.  Havent gone back and looked yet but i beleive there was a guy on the Nebraska page that reported fishing (and catching) them last season.  I think they found some ice down in Kansas somewhere.  will go look.

Fishing should be the exercise of your skills- and its rewards the places it brings you to
                                                                           Negley Farson
Going Fishing

Offline hardh2ofish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Nov 10, 2007, 08:14 AM »
found the post i was looking for.  it is on the Ne page called   Weekend Results  on thefirst page of posts   post was b y Walleye4.  They might be able give you a little more insight on winter wipers.  good luck

Fishing should be the exercise of your skills- and its rewards the places it brings you to
                                                                           Negley Farson
Going Fishing

Offline scavengerj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warm hands, warm feet and tight lines!
« Reply #32 on: Nov 10, 2007, 08:24 AM »
Thanx hardh2ofish! Will go and check it out now!
DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA
RFA #1053456E

Offline scavengerj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Nov 10, 2007, 08:30 AM »
Some very nice fish caught there! I'll have to see if I can find them on the forum this year and ask them how they specifically fished for the wipers. Looks as if they know what they are doing since they seemed to have caught a few of them  :) Thanks again hardh2ofish!
DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA
RFA #1053456E

Offline toothfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Nov 10, 2007, 09:08 AM »
Fantastic !! Thanks for the link hardh2ofish !! I would love to get on some wipers through the ice !!

"Central Iowa Anglers"

Offline baldy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Nov 10, 2007, 12:11 PM »
best bet for the smaller (12"-17") wipers is deep holes that correspond with current.  The smaller ones stack up with the white bass in these spots waiting for bait fish (mainly shad where I've fished).  They are generally in isolated spots so if you can find them, there are plenty.  I haven't heard of anyone catching one much over 4lb though but a 16" wiper puts up a good fight.
Flashy stuff that looks like what they are eating is best bet for jigs.

Offline scavengerj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Nov 11, 2007, 07:07 AM »
yep baldy, I am thinking areas of current are going to be the places to look for them. And holes within those areas are going to be magnets for both the fish and the baitfish. And that those areas are probably in the mid to deep depth regions of the lake.
DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA
RFA #1053456E

Offline hardh2ofish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Nov 11, 2007, 10:04 AM »
Well keep me posted on your how your quest for winter wipers goes.  Im a huge fan of the wiper.  To me there is not much that rivals hooking into a realy mad angry wiper that is capable of pulling every last bit of line off your spool. 

Negley Farson
Going Fishing

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #38 on: Nov 11, 2007, 10:19 AM »
I target anything that bites my bait   thats the main thing!
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.