Author Topic: Trapping Suckers  (Read 1701 times)

Offline hamadog

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Trapping Suckers
« on: Jan 06, 2006, 01:19 PM »
Seeing high prices and low availability I was wondering if anyone can give me some ideas on types of traps,best time of year and types of  bait to target white suckers. NH regulation say it cant be any bigger than 50in long and 30in wide and have at least a 3.5in opening. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

oakorchardfishking

Re: Trapping Suckers
« Reply #1 on: Jan 06, 2006, 01:47 PM »
Too trap a sucker... just throw a little cash on the floor and wait, soon your sucker will appear and take the bait!
Best time of the year is probably holiday time when everyone is short on cash, but any time should do the trick!
 :roflmao:  :whistle:  :woot:

Offline reubenpa

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 07, 2006, 10:32 AM »
how do people get their suckers for fishing.. I wanna know this also

Offline Kodiakman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Start everyday as if it has a purpose.
« Reply #3 on: Jan 07, 2006, 11:18 AM »
Well, it's not a trap but, during open water season I usually take my casting net down to the stream that discharges from the Lake I'm going to fish.  I can usually catch a few dozen pretty quick.  Just check your states reg's.  If they allow casting nets, most usually have limits on the size of the net and size of the holes in the mesh.  During Ice fishing season the stream may have open water close to the dam depending on how the weather's been and if it's a spillway or some kind of regulated discharge.

I havn't tried this yet but I've heard of people making their own bait tanks from those cheap 20 gal. resin/plastic laundry tubs (the kind with the legs and holes for plumbing, home depot sells them for like $20) and an air stone.  Just have to change the water every couple days.

Offline hamadog

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 07, 2006, 11:29 AM »
They do allow netting from march to the end of may. You can use a hand dip net not over 18in and a throw net not over 48in. I was just wondering what kind of traps and bait they use.

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 07, 2006, 11:53 AM »
A buddy and I use a seine in a creek near my house.  This seems to be a fast way to get them.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.