Author Topic: Best Warm Water Proof Boots???  (Read 3729 times)

Reelinrolly

Best Warm Water Proof Boots???
« on: Feb 23, 2004, 05:25 PM »
hey i was just wondering if anyone could tell me what are the best warm and water proof boots on the market...and how much do they cost????

Offline fishercat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hard water or soft water just let me fish
Re: Best Warm Water Proof Boots???
« Reply #1 on: Feb 23, 2004, 05:31 PM »
Mickey Mouse boots they are warm and water proof. And relatively inexpensive. You should be able to find them for around $75.

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #2 on: Feb 23, 2004, 05:37 PM »
i have the LaCrosse  10"ice kings they are comfort rated from +20 F to -100 F i have fished in -35 temps with no probs at all,but if its any colder i cant even see me putting my boots on! they are very warm but a little heavy not bad unless you have your mothers legs..i bought  mine at L.L. Bean in freeport maine for 120.00 because they guarantee them for life.  check them out www.lacrossefootwear.c om...good luck

Offline LoveIce

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 23, 2004, 05:47 PM »
I Guide in the outdoors for a living in northern Maine and the best I have had  are the high top( I think they go to the uper calf )12 inch high Outfitter series gor-tex 800-2000 grams thinsulate $169.95 if you are going to be in weather -40 2000grams -0 1000 grams above 0 800 grams above 35 600 grams good luck I have tried alot of boots .to go cheap cabelas rubber boot 1200 grams $79.95 never ever ever whant cold feet cabelas Saskatchewan PacBoot works to -135 bellow $179.95 used them in Alberta deer hunting when seting wow .This should help you.
YOU DONT HAVE A FLASHER what are you nuts.

Offline jigginstick

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jig Jig Jig
« Reply #4 on: Feb 23, 2004, 06:11 PM »
  mickey Mouse

Offline fozsey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 23, 2004, 06:19 PM »
I have Lacrosse Ice Kings. I used to use an open tractor to push snow all day long. I tried several differend kinds of boots ie. Rocky, Sorel, etc. I ran across the Ice Kings by accident and the guy that sold them to me said that he would give me double my money back if my feet got cold no matter how long I was outside. I figured I would be back to get my $200. That was 5 years ago. My feet have never been cold since I started wearing them. I wear a thin regular sock and nothing else. I can sit in slush up to the top of the boots and my feet never get cold. Let me say that I have never tried Mickey's, but I am totally sold on the Ice Kings. Brian

The early bird might get the worm but the second mouse will always get the cheese...

Offline BuckShotJon

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Gimpy Fisher
« Reply #6 on: Feb 23, 2004, 06:42 PM »
Another vote for Mickey Mouse boots.

Jon
Check Out The Hunting Shanty

Check Out The Softer Side Of The Shanty At www.Myfishfinder.com

Offline mote1977

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 23, 2004, 06:46 PM »
I like the Rocky Retractions. Lightweight,not bulky,2000 grams of thinsulate, and the warmest boots I've ever owned, and I've owned alot.

Offline shark

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 23, 2004, 06:56 PM »
Mickey mouse are what I use and the pair will be the same. :'(

Shark
How's the ice

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Feb 23, 2004, 06:57 PM »
I've been wearing these for 3 years now and I am totally sold on them. Completely waterproof,light, easy to walk in, warm like you won't believe and backed by Cabelas gaurentee.

These are Boots with a capital BOO!

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline shark

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Feb 23, 2004, 07:04 PM »
Hey rg
 Whats the name of those kids

Shark
How's the ice

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Feb 23, 2004, 07:09 PM »
Those are Cabelas Trans-Alaska Iditerod boots.

RG

"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline LoveIce

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #12 on: Feb 23, 2004, 07:41 PM »
they are just like the Sask.pack boat nice
YOU DONT HAVE A FLASHER what are you nuts.

Offline shark

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Feb 23, 2004, 08:16 PM »
Ive heard others say they are good boots too.

Shark
How's the ice

tony_d

« Reply #14 on: Feb 23, 2004, 09:27 PM »
This year I bought a pair of Muck brand boots. Water proof, rubber bottoms, neoprene uppers, and the warmest thing that I ever bought.  traction is good too. I got the heavier weight ones, not the barnyard kind. VERY pleased!! seeya,t.

Offline bogeyjoker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Stay on Top!
« Reply #15 on: Feb 24, 2004, 12:00 AM »
I wear Cabelas Predator Extremes.  They are rated -150 , are lightweight (although not quite as light as the trans-Alaskas) and are less expensive at $130.  I've put them to the test, and I can't imagine ever having cold feet with these things.  I've owned the Mickey's as well, but if you walk a lot they're very heavy.

Reelinrolly

« Reply #16 on: Feb 24, 2004, 12:59 AM »
this is why i love this site so much...on any ohter site you would be lucky to get two or three replies...thanx a lot guys.....you gave me some good insight....those cabelas trans alaskan boots look awesome

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #17 on: Feb 24, 2004, 05:48 AM »
Rolly,
Mine are studded with 1/2" x #8 hex head sheet metal screws for traction. No lumpy cleats under foot, great traction, can't forget or loose them.
RG

Offline Jigmaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If you ain't jigging you ain't fishin'
« Reply #18 on: Feb 24, 2004, 06:23 AM »
Another vote for Mickey Mouse boots.

Offline the Wizard

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Feb 24, 2004, 06:27 AM »
RANGER  Makes a calf high all rubber boot with a nylon top w/draw string, it has a top to toe pull out liner and is rated for -85 deg. cost about $50.00  [ I have two pair and LOVE them].
If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so. – Thomas Jefferson

Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry. – Thomas Jefferson

Offline Hardguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 24, 2004, 07:47 AM »
Mouse again!!! Mine were $45. at Army surplus.

Offline 2 dogs

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #21 on: Feb 24, 2004, 08:29 AM »
Question----what is the difference besides color for the black mickey mouse boots and the white bunny boots? I have a pair of sorrels that are great till about zero and then my toes get cold. My buddy has a pair of Lacrosse Ice Kings and loves them. I am torn between the Kings and bunny boots but they are so cumbersome. The Mickey Mouse boots were less bulky but are they as warm?  Isn't it great to have a site like this where you can ask questions and get information from the people who actually use the stuff. :'( :'(
Good thing about prisons- they reduce the potential number of fisherman on the ice!

Offline spikeum

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #22 on: Feb 24, 2004, 10:49 AM »
 Ice Kings (used to be ontario pacs by red ball) Lacrosse bought Red Ball out. I had the Ontario pacs for 10years wore my dress socks only. Replaced them with Ice Kings
same thing dress socks and my feet never!! get cold.

Offline mike692

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #23 on: Feb 24, 2004, 11:08 AM »
I bought a pair of 1200 gram Thinsulate boots from Cabela's this year, and I have been wearing them. They are super comfortable, warm, and haven't leaked yet. Even when I was wading in 4 inches of slush. They were reasonably priced at 69.95+ shipping.

Offline Da_Roc

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez! Ya hve to hunt them to catch em
« Reply #24 on: Feb 24, 2004, 05:24 PM »
Hi Gang!
I have been freezing all winter! It got so bad one night my feet turned purple!  I had to cook my socks with a coleman to get then off so I could change them into a non frozen pair.  Then I just went home.  The boot wer thinsulated and everything but man that boot bottom turned white then I was doomed!  I am going to look into the Boots listed. I tried to find mickey mouses but the army/navy surplus ones were all dry rotten and cracked.  I might just get those -135 pair with the spikes.  I walk alot in the cold and just can't take frozen feet anylonger.
Thanks Guys!  Your Da-best!
Da-Roc
I hope i can still jig with warm feet?

Offline mike692

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #25 on: Feb 24, 2004, 05:28 PM »

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Feb 24, 2004, 06:40 PM »
I asked this exact question over a month ago on the michigan-sportsman.com forum.
Got most of the same responses and went with the LaCrosse "Ice Kings", $99 at the LaCrosse.com outlet store.
You have to know, I have the coldest SOB feet anyone could imagine!
The Ice kings did the trick BUT-----
Go for at least one size larger then you normally take.
They are cumbersome and heavy.
I fished one day when there was 6 inches of slush and my day was shortened by soaking wet feet and boots.
Once you go over the rubber and up to the leather, the stitching allowed water to come thru. I have since solved this problem with a serious coat of Snow Seal melted in with the hair drier.
The boots are great, plenty of padding between you and the ice and very warm as long as they stay dry.
My buddy got the Cabelas Iditerods shown above, paid a bit more but loves them and did not get wet in the slush.
His are just as big and cumbersome but not as heavy.
Another pal spent around $250 on a pair of Northern Extremes and is totally dis-satisfied with them.
I don't care what anyone says but IMHO Packs with a wool/felt liner are the best insulation I have found.
Thinsulate kills me because it is too hot when moving to the spot, feet sweat, then freeze when I get set up.
The wool/felt stays warm even after you sweat a bit.
Electric socks are a crock! Cotton will give you frost bite and the best combo I have ever found is a pair of Nelson, Thermax Liners-80% Thermax/20% Nylon- like polypropalen-Very thin and they get the perspiration away from your foot. I top these with a pair of heavy Virgin Wool socks and stay as warm as I have ever been.
Having some room for your toes to move is also important.
Good luck and let us know what you decide and how they work. The Ice Kings kept me toasty in -5 with 20MPH winds.
Gary
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline Backwater_

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Dedicated to Fishing
« Reply #27 on: Feb 24, 2004, 07:07 PM »
Check out the 18" Lacrosse Burly ATS 1200gram Thinsulates.  They are warm, rugged, light, ankle-fit rubber boots that are very affordable and great for both fishing and hunting.  They come in a choice of two camo patterns.  Also, Lacrosse has a great return policy if you need it.  They guarantee the boots will hold up to anything you can put them through outdoors.  Check them out at the lacrosse footwear site and see a picture of my deer from last fall in the trophy galllery.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.