Author Topic: Muskrats on wax worms  (Read 2001 times)

Offline skulldugary

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Muskrats on wax worms
« on: Feb 21, 2004, 09:14 AM »
Was out thursday,only fair fishing at best,one 17"walleye(kept that one),dink perch,lost a lunker gill,7 small pike and 2 twin bass around 5 lbs.Every thing released but the eye..Around 4:30 my buddy starts yelling he has something big hooked and was having a heck of a time getting it to the hole,he starts hollering "holy crap" and is backing away from the hole when he pull a muskrat through the hole and the thing is slapping at it's face trying to get the hook out so my buddy gives the line a jerk and the jig comes out.The rat then runs and goes right down the same hole...Man I wish you could have been there to see my buddies reaction ...it was absolutly hillariuos...

GEEMAN

Re: Muskrats on wax worms
« Reply #1 on: Feb 21, 2004, 09:22 AM »
LMAO !

Offline Polar

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 21, 2004, 09:27 AM »
A true trophy indeed.....
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an  well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, A fishing pole in one hand, beer in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming \"WOO HOO, what a ride!

Offline utes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 21, 2004, 09:34 AM »
Who was scared more? Your buddy or the rat.Would have liked to been there for that.Get a couple dollars for that pelt ya know. LOL

Offline baginwal

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 21, 2004, 12:25 PM »
It sounds like you guys were fishing in the open.  Can you imagine if you were in a shanty and he pulled up the Muskrat???  LOL.  I was fishing one time with my daughter and she hooked a burbot.   She had no idea what a burbot was, only that it tugged way harder than a perch! ;D  Once she got it to the hole, she peered over to see what it looked like.  She was definitely not expecting what she saw as she dropped her pole and bolted out of the shanty!.  The burbot went back down the hole, snapped the line and took off.  At least we got the pole back.  It took her about 10 min to get up the courage to "jig again"! ;D
No Politics............Ju st Fish!

Offline fozsey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 21, 2004, 12:42 PM »
Was out thursday,only fair fishing at best,one 17"walleye(kept that one),dink perch,lost a lunker gill,7 small pike and 2 twin bass around 5 lbs.Every thing released but the eye..Around 4:30 my buddy starts yelling he has something big hooked and was having a heck of a time getting it to the hole,he starts hollering "holy crap" and is backing away from the hole when he pull a muskrat through the hole and the thing is slapping at it's face trying to get the hook out so my buddy gives the line a jerk and the jig comes out.The rat then runs and goes right down the same hole...Man I wish you could have been there to see my buddies reaction ...it was absolutly hillariuos...

ROFLMAO Don't think there would be enough hooch on the planet to take care of that one. When we were trappping for fox and coyote when we were in highschool, we got one of those by accident in a leg trap and when we went to check the trap, he was pi$$ed. He wasn't hurt. Neither of us wanted to release him. For some reason his teeth looked a lot bigger up close and personal. I have seen a few over the years, but not that close. I developed a lot of respect for them and keep my distance.

The early bird might get the worm but the second mouse will always get the cheese...

acsacmboy

« Reply #6 on: Feb 21, 2004, 02:23 PM »
anyone up for some northern pi..... MUSKRAT!!! would love to see his expression ;D

Offline Bobberstop

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Have Ice Will Fish R.I.P. TH10 3/20/09
« Reply #7 on: Feb 21, 2004, 02:39 PM »
When I was growing up as a kid in Minn.I had a spearing shanty with a 2'x2' spearing hole. One day while watching the decoy a Muskrat popped up in the hole and dove right back down, scareing the bejesus out of me,and soaking me at the same time. lol
Bobberstop

trapperdirk

« Reply #8 on: Feb 21, 2004, 07:21 PM »
 Wait till you have an otter pop up out a hole in the shack . I didn't hook the bugger but he tried to tell me it was his place to dump in . LOL . The chisel fixed him when he thought he was putting me outta my home and I was a hundred bucks richer . LOL

Flathead

« Reply #9 on: Feb 21, 2004, 08:52 PM »
I had a rat stick its head up my hole several times one day the last time he put his feet on the carpet i smacked him with the ice scoop.

Offline IceKing

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Catch and release an a pan full of grease!
« Reply #10 on: Feb 22, 2004, 11:16 AM »
What do you use to jig for rats. I'd like to give it a try.
Its Ice Now!

Offline show_me_the_money

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #11 on: Feb 22, 2004, 06:22 PM »
nothing like a good beaver in the shanty

Offline 2 dogs

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #12 on: Feb 24, 2004, 08:46 AM »
Had a rat come up in the hole in our tent, was not paying attention and eating a burger when splish splash there he was on the floor. I had my dog along who went postal. The rat :o took a good gander and back down he went but sure got our attention. I sure would hate to hook one good as how to get the hook out w/o gettiing bit or killing the wee beastie.
Good thing about prisons- they reduce the potential number of fisherman on the ice!

Offline FishDaddy09

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Feb 24, 2004, 09:21 AM »
A muskrat came up the hole in my buddies santy once! He had a greenhorn from work in there with him. Talk about bailing out fast! That guy never went icefishing again!
There is nothing in the world I'd rather do than ice fish!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.