Author Topic: The weight of power aguers? electric?  (Read 1856 times)

Flathead

The weight of power aguers? electric?
« on: Feb 21, 2004, 12:12 AM »
First let me say that I am from IA only late in the season is it safe to drive on the lake so I must pull everything. I have a big sled too Frabill ranger XL. Not fun pullin throw snow. Is the weight justifid on power aguers & how do the electric ones work how many holes can ya punch on a battery? Thanks

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
Re: The weight of power aguers? electric?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 21, 2004, 07:37 AM »
Are your talking about a sled ot a shanty/sled combo? If you add ski's to your sled and raise it up out of the snow a little, it will pull like a dream. Sometimes I pull close to 150# of gear in my sled for 1.3 miles on the lake and I never have a problem. Here is a pic of my modified sled....

For augers.....I have a Nils Master 8". It weighs 23# with a full tank of gas. I can imagine the electric ones will be much lighter when you add a battery. The electircs are more for fish houses, where folks don't want the noise and smell of a power auger.

However this is JMO.

Bob

Flathead

« Reply #2 on: Feb 21, 2004, 08:59 PM »
Yes thats exactly what I have a shanty/sled combo. Thats a slick idea may have to give it a shot.  Thanks

nuke1neil

« Reply #3 on: Feb 21, 2004, 09:02 PM »
Esox,that thing got a hemi in it ? Cool set up.

Offline fozsey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 21, 2004, 09:30 PM »
Bob,

Where's your ice shanty flag??  ;D

You got your Mr. Twister, your Mepps, and your Exide..  ;D

Sorry, just ribbin you a little.  :D

You got a nice setup. I have been following your homade ice shanty since you first posted it. I just happened to do a search on them and yours was one that I found right away. I didn't put 2 and 2 together until today. I'm a little slow sometimes.  ;) Brian

The early bird might get the worm but the second mouse will always get the cheese...

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #5 on: Feb 23, 2004, 07:30 AM »
Flathead,
If you have a combo, you might want to make a frame with skis on it that you can bungie your sled/shanty combo to. I'm don't know how well attaching skis directly to a combo would work.

nuke1neil,
Yeah.....It's got a Hemi. ;D

Fozsey,
No flag.....I'm a field staff member for Mepps and Mr.Twister, so I added the stickers. If Scott decides to have a "Ice Shanty Prostaff" I'm in. ;) ;D Oh...and thanks.

Bob

Offline fozsey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 23, 2004, 07:57 AM »

Fozsey,
No flag.....I'm a field staff member for Mepps and Mr.Twister, so I added the stickers. If Scott decides to have a "Ice Shanty Prostaff" I'm in. ;) ;D Oh...and thanks.

Bob

No problem. I love inventing things that I need. Everything thinks I am nutts, but I have some very handy improvisations that really worked in a pinch. You know like a 5 gallon pail stretcher, a wood welder. LOL My favorite is using someone's great idea and tweaking it to fit my needs so I keep an open eyeball all the time. If you wait around for someone else to do it you might be in a wheelchair before you get anything done. B

Brian

The early bird might get the worm but the second mouse will always get the cheese...

Flathead

« Reply #7 on: Feb 23, 2004, 08:33 PM »
Esox - that I had allready planded I wouldnt want to fish out of a ski scrapper LOL

Offline Da_Roc

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez! Ya hve to hunt them to catch em
« Reply #8 on: Feb 24, 2004, 05:52 PM »
Hi Gang!
   I have been researching the tar out of the auger deal!
Nils has the lightest auger but the least powerful  engine.  Plus they are hard to find parts for let alone dealer help! 

Strike master DP12000 will drill a lot of holes with the battery included with the drill.  I have drilled 75 holes thru 14" of ice with one they are really quiet in the shallows and work great. no spooking any fish!  I did it with an 8 inch drill too!  the thing never failed me! Go DP12000 strikemaster! I was actually shocked that it lasted that long. I might have drilled more holes if the fish didn't hit so well.

For deeper water I like the Jiffy stealth (9") drill 2hp.  The blades are reasonable and last along long time.
    Nils are just not avaliable anywhere I shop at and those tiny engines.
      I do like the Jiffy electric but its real noisy drilling and I fish shallows alot.
                 Heres the weight!
Nils at 23 pounds is the absloute lightest  6" auger-pricey and totally not american made!
Strikemaster at 24 pounds electric 8" auger-thru 5" is lighter
Jiffy electric 26pounds but you have to tote a deepcell battery that is  20 pounds.
Jiffy 2hp stealth  gas 6'' is right at 28 pounds add two pounds for every inch bigger auger in jiffy!
The entire srtikemaster line of gas augers is 26 to 30 pounds even in the 10" auger .
There ya go.
O yeah the eskimo are all around thirty pounds but I am not exactly sure on that.
  It goes with out saying the smaller the drill the lighter the auger. 
  Blades-  Jiffy is the least expensive and easiest to maintain
  Strike master blades Eskimo blades and Nils blades are all real expensive. 
    The shaver blades  are high maintance constantly having to re-cure the edge with a razor strap to keep them cutting correctly!

On another note I waxed the bottom of my sled and the runners with car wax it made a ton of difference.  I also put water skis on  to help glide thru/over snow easier that helped.  My sled weighs apx. 65 pounds loaded. I pull it all over by hand living in indiana 10" of ice is a treat! This year we got 12".
Da-Roc
  P.S.  Good luck choosing!  LOL 

Offline IceFisherman89

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 24, 2004, 08:01 PM »
Yea i just bring my ice shanty, and put everything on it its about 5feet long and 3feet wide along with 2 rods. grab some bait the flasher,auger and im off!

Offline xulgiy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #10 on: Feb 25, 2004, 09:02 AM »
I'm going to jump in here as well.  I just purchased a Nils Master.  That thing just plain smokes the ice. 8" auger 20" of ice, 5-7 seconds a hole!!!!  No need to pull the auger out to clean the hole as you drill...just hit the throttle and it's gone.  Drilled 10 holes last night, and didn't break a sweat.  I will agree it is a pricy unit, but I split the cost with a good friend.  You can find parts for the Tanaka engine at about any small engine place.

Offline Da_Roc

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez! Ya hve to hunt them to catch em
« Reply #11 on: Feb 25, 2004, 07:10 PM »
Thats cool  I havent found anyone in indiana who sells nils  stuff yet.  But Ill look into the tanaka engine parts situtation. Thanks!
Da-Roc

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #12 on: Feb 25, 2004, 07:27 PM »
Da Roc,
Try your equipment rental shops. Tanaka makes a lot of commercial power equipment (trimmers, edgers, gas drills, etc). Basically, the auger motor on the Nils is thier standard (largest) gas drill, that has been on the market for many years now (TED-262).

Offline crappieman12887

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Love them crappies!!!!
« Reply #13 on: Feb 25, 2004, 08:02 PM »
before tanaka come out with there augers we would make them out of the model 210 gas drills light weight easy to get parts for [most small eng.repair shops can get them]and one of the fastest augers you would ever see;smoked the ice,like a hot knife,through butter.using  a 4-5 to 6 in  auger bottom didnt matter . oh by the way nice sled for the man on the go, but i rather hop on the sled and go.lol you are right the augers power  head is made from one of tanakas gas drills they been on the market for years.anyone need to locate any of these drills let me know  or parts .

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.