Author Topic: Fishin Buddy fish finder  (Read 2446 times)

Offline pletch

• Team IceShanty Regular
Fishin Buddy fish finder
« on: Feb 19, 2004, 03:23 PM »
I just ordered a fishin buddy 2255 for the ice, does anyone have any experience with this unit?
ice is your friend

Offline Big_Ray

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ice fishing rules
Re: Fishin Buddy fish finder
« Reply #1 on: Feb 19, 2004, 05:06 PM »
I don`t own one, but I saw a guy who had one last year and it was a pretty neat rig. He just put it down the hole and we could read the depth, see at how deep the fish were and bottom structure. I`ve been looking at them in Cabelas for a while, but my wifes budget can`t afford one ye :P Good luck with it, I think you`ll like it. Keep us posted if you would please, thanks
Ray

Offline pletch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 19, 2004, 05:51 PM »
I don`t own one, but I saw a guy who had one last year and it was a pretty neat rig. He just put it down the hole and we could read the depth, see at how deep the fish were and bottom structure. I`ve been looking at them in Cabelas for a while, but my wifes budget can`t afford one ye :P Good luck with it, I think you`ll like it. Keep us posted if you would please, thanks
was it accurate showing fish?
ice is your friend

acsacmboy

« Reply #3 on: Feb 19, 2004, 06:11 PM »
save your money and get a vexilar, marcum, lowrance, zercom or anyother type of flasher/sonar.

Offline FishDaddy09

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 20, 2004, 10:30 AM »
I have 3 friends who have the "fish'n buddy"  every one of them has taken a dump!
There is nothing in the world I'd rather do than ice fish!

Offline wny angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Nut!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 20, 2004, 04:45 PM »
my brothers been using one for years- its alright for reading the depth  or finding suspended fish but it dosnt read the fish that are close to the bottom,  for ice fishing id get a vexilar

Keith G

« Reply #6 on: Feb 20, 2004, 06:45 PM »
Friend I fish with has one.  over 3 years old with fairly heavy use and no problems.  The only thing I think you may have problems detecting is small fish like smelt on the bottom.  Works good for depth and structure and the side scan is nice.  You can do a quick 360 degree sweep of the area you are in.  What's also nice is it is easy to use on a boat or a canoe even if it isn't your boat after the ice thaws.  Not sure if that can be said for the vexilar.  Also there is the biggest difference........

Vexilar - $275+ in Cabelas
Fishin Buddy - $175 in Cabelas

Offline darossman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Jumping through my icehole!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 20, 2004, 06:55 PM »
I have sat next to a friend that used one and the one thing that I liked was that "side scan" deal.  I have often thought about taking the ice ducer from my Vex and zip tying to a pole or something at a 90 degree angle to see if I mark any fish.  Any opinions Vexilar users?

Offline Da_Roc

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez! Ya hve to hunt them to catch em
« Reply #8 on: Feb 21, 2004, 11:25 AM »
Hi Gang!
Doesnt sonar have to hit something to bounce back to the transducer to read?  It would be interesting but the LCD's are a proven looser for ice fishing!  The screens go blank alot and don't measure the fish under your hole in real time.  They were the fish in the next hole where a guy is using a Vexalir or a marcum to ice those fish.  LCDs arent real time they just read where the fish were aprox 5 to 10 seconds ago!
The cone or Target area where LCDs read is huge and are not so accurate as per needed during ice fishing conditions.  Its nice to know that the structure your seeing is there but thats cause it isnt moving> LOL.  My self I think The Vexalir CLC200  or the Vexalir EDGE with a Vexalir FL-18 or a Marcum LX-3 would be the way to go for all seasons. 
Just My opnion
  Da-Roc

Offline pletch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 23, 2004, 05:54 AM »
Thanks for all the info averyone.
ice is your friend

Keith G

« Reply #10 on: Feb 24, 2004, 06:50 PM »
I talked to my friend with the Fishing Buddy.  In very cold situations he has had the liquid crystal screen freeze up.  I am in CT so it isn't too common an occurance.  As far as the delay in the readings goes, it can be eliminated significantly if not eliminated by not using the fish ID feature.  I'm sure the owners manual will offer tips and set up advice as well.

Offline John_Boy

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • Give me ice or give me death !!!
« Reply #11 on: Feb 24, 2004, 06:59 PM »
i bought one , was a complete waste of my hard earned money  . just bought a vexilar fl-18  .  ;)  now i can see fish instantly no matter what depth it's at .

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 24, 2004, 07:30 PM »
The LCR/LCD units are about a nono second behind the "Real Time" of a flasher. Almost immeasurable but you have to watch the incomming side of the screen.
LCR/LCDs can freeze up and blank out.
If you go with the LCR/LCD then get a transducer with a narrow cone angle for ice fishing and also look for one with the flasher feature and some split screen zoom capeabilities.
The Vexilars are excellent for ice fishing but the one thing they lack, that I like to have, is the ability to show history, what just went past if you were not staring at the screen at that very moment.
There is no need for us all to get into a P#$$%@* match.
Vex lovers love their machines and swear by them.
Others, and especially those who have a budget for one machine to go in both hard and soft water prefer the LCR/LCD.
My LCR has never frozen or blanked, 5 below is the coldest I have fished. I can see fish the very second they get near my bait, which I can also see, and I can watch the hit and even some of the fight right on the screen. I can also talk to my buddies and be doing other stuff and just glance every now and then to see if there are any fish around. It has a flasher function as well as split screen and numerous zoom modes, cost $169 and I use it all summer long to troll and watch my  Down Rigger Balls.
I like it, please don't try to shove a vex down my throat and that real time 5-10 second lag argument is a myth and nothing more. As quick as the signal returns from bottom or any suspended object the screen shows it. I proved it today with a vex right along side of my LCR and there is NO noticeable difference in REAL TIME. I even impressed my Vex buddy who still can't believe it.
Much colder then zero to minus 5 and I would keep mine home with me!
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline dirk327

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • !
« Reply #13 on: Feb 24, 2004, 07:32 PM »
Have had a fishing buddy for 3 years, worked great till the other day when it got a little wet.  Now its not working at all, so i am going to buy a flasher!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.