The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: K-Drill  (Read 1110 times)

Offline lingking

• IceShanty Rookie
K-Drill
« on: Dec 07, 2018, 10:12 PM »
hi all im curious on everyone's thoughts on the k drill set up i have a 2 year old Eskimo 10inch and im sick and tired of the up keep with a gas auger when it runs its awesome but the k drill set up seems to be trouble free not to mention its lite as heck, i guess what im asking is if it would be wise to sell my gas auger and go with a drill set up or stay with gas. any first hand experience with the k drill would be appreciated  thanks!

Offline bowmandan

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: K-Drill
« Reply #1 on: Dec 07, 2018, 10:16 PM »
Going on second year with an 8 inch k drill.   Love it and would recommend it.  I powered it with a DEWalt 996

Offline lingking

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 07, 2018, 10:43 PM »
have you tried to drill threw previous frozen holes? just wondering for use in a hard shack so you dont have to move the shack every time you go out

Offline lingking

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 07, 2018, 10:44 PM »
also any issues with composite fins?? kinda worry they would get brittle and brake

Offline bowmandan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 07, 2018, 10:45 PM »
New ice but am comfortable that it will drill out old holes.   Also would need an extension to go through a floor in a permie

Offline bowmandan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 07, 2018, 10:46 PM »
 O problems with the flighting

Offline lingking

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 07, 2018, 10:49 PM »
awesome thanks!

Offline Lsranger406

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 07, 2018, 11:27 PM »
Love my 8 inch kdrill. Its on a clam plate with a dewalt at this time. Works amazing. Cuts old holes with no issues. Never had problems with it. This is my second year with it. At this time have zero complaints. For hole hopping its the ticket. No more having to start my has auger up multiple times a day to drill holes. Of you want a new hole you drill one.
America is all about speed hot,nasty,bad a** speed

Offline lingking

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 07, 2018, 11:34 PM »
i get sick of the gas fumes and spilled  gas the auger these days are just not what they used to be ive had more issues with my new auger in the past two years than i ever had with my old strikemaster that i used for 15 years! i honestly think battery power is the way to go now. plus with the k drill you have a nice drill to use on the off season haha 

Offline jchunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 07, 2018, 11:53 PM »
I run a 8" K-drill with a Milwaukee Fuel. Last year was my first year with it and it's been great. So light and convienant moving around in search of fish. I sold my gasser and haven't missed it yet. I like the instant start off the drill set up and no leaking stinky gas, plus no need to wait for it to warm up like a gasser. Did I mention light.

Offline lingking

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 07, 2018, 11:59 PM »
lifetime blade sharpening/ replacement too right?

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #11 on: Dec 08, 2018, 01:38 AM »
seen a fellow member with a broken fin on his kdrill flight. posted it last year in augers section.
also you can only sharpen a blade so many times. they can take too much off and force your hand to buy new.
no free blades, last i knew. some people have been getting the bit stuck in the hole and getting hurt. so far wrist injuries.

i recently watched a video of an 8 inch more and the 8 inch (which is only 7.5 inch) compete using the same fuel drill and 5 amp battery. the mora made nearly twice as many holes as the kdrill. that was all i needed to see to know i didn't want one. so i just bought another strikemaster lazer in the 8 inch size. so now i have it in 4, 5 and 8 inch. got the auger for 75.
i used my 6 inch lazer to open tons of old holes because they were not as deep of ice so it saved making new holes. it did finally catch up with it and made one blade out of alignment. took about 6 years.

when you start buying the kdrill to go on a plate to try to stay safer with it, the added cost get out of hand. you have to buy the plate, plate to kdrill adapter, extension, spare blades for when you send your dull ones out for resharp and the auger. i was looking into the costs until i saw the mora vs kdrill video.

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=349684.0

the eskimo pistol is claimed to be the lightest auger on the market. so you have that as an option if your looking to go light weight. i had the pistol and kdrill in my hands in their box at the store. seemed like the pistol was lighter.

Offline lingking

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 08, 2018, 02:36 AM »
good to know thanks my local hardware store has the pistol on display i noticed it the other day ill have to go check it out now

Offline MT204

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 08, 2018, 07:56 PM »
Second year with a K-drill on a Milwaukee MudMixer with quik connect chuck.
No problems, couldn't be happier.
Used it today drilled 55 holes in 4 inches of black ice didn't even use one bar on  battery gauge.

Offline PerchPounderMT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Dec 11, 2018, 05:28 PM »
pistol bit.... ::)
Dont ask

Offline Wenger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 12, 2018, 04:43 PM »

Offline Wenger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 12, 2018, 04:46 PM »
Ooops...that is just the power head. $400 bucks with the auger.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.