The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Ice fishing MT  (Read 571 times)

Offline sbrich72

• IceShanty Rookie
Ice fishing MT
« on: Dec 04, 2018, 06:41 AM »
This is my first post. I'm hoping to meet my brother and his family to fish the Helena area December 26-January 5. Can I expect safe ice conditions, and does anyone have advice for how to put my seven year old nephew on some fish? Our first thought is to go to Canyon Ferry to see the ice sailors. Is the fishing good there?

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
Re: Ice fishing MT
« Reply #1 on: Dec 04, 2018, 07:26 AM »
Welcome:) the ice in that area may be hit or miss looking at the long range forecast but you never know. If you just want to catch fish maybe Spring Meadow may be a better bet? Perch fishing at Canyon Ferry may involve a decent walk unless you guys have transportation on the ice. Trout fishing can be done about anywhere on CF but may not be enough activity to keep a 7 year old occupied ( Same for the perch fishing too) Georgetown may be an option? Shorter walks and more fish usually..

Offline PerchPounderMT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 04, 2018, 08:16 AM »
Canyon Ferry may not have any ice by then,depends on temps and most importantly WIND.Holding res and the causway on Hauser are your best bets.Small perch on the holding res is your best choice if your concerned about catching(walk out 100 yards from the parking lot drop down a tiny jig with a chunk of crawler or try maggots for salmon no wheeler needed),fishing is always good catching is impossible to guarantee.
Dont ask

Offline Born Late

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 04, 2018, 08:53 AM »
I too would recommend Spring Meadow or the Holding Res as kid-friendly. The latter is open water at the moment with no serious ice-building weather in the long-term forecast. Things change but I’m not convinced we’ll be on Holter before the end of the year.  :(
YOU are the only one who can decide if the ice is safe enough for you.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.