The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Western Mt ice fishing  (Read 2185 times)

Offline Pnwgameslayer

• IceShanty Rookie
Western Mt ice fishing
« on: Jan 19, 2018, 02:23 PM »
Hi all, I'm new to the state from Western Washington and really excited to get out and learn some fishing around here. I live in Florence mt and I was curious if anyone could tell me where there is ice fishing lakes within 100 miles other than Georgetown(thats probably the farthest that way I can travel)
Thanks!

Offline pmmpete

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Western Mt ice fishing
« Reply #1 on: Jan 19, 2018, 02:52 PM »
Check out the lakes in the Seeley Lake area - Salmon, Seeley, Inez, Alva, Rainy, Placid, Harpers, Upsata, and Browns.  There are additional lakes you get to if you have a snowmobile, such as Clearwater Lake.

Because most of Flathead Lake rarely freezes, the ice fishing opportunities are limited there. The primary ice fishing is in East Bay (the southeast corner of the lake) and a couple of small sheltered bays.  The ice on East Bay can get busted up fast by a stiff north wind, so many years there is only a couple of weeks of ice fishing on East Bay. 

There are a number of reservoirs south of Flathead Lake with ice fishing opportunities.

Offline titan666

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 19, 2018, 05:37 PM »
I fish Dog and Ninepipes, you have to have a rez fishing and conservation, but it can be fun fishing. What part of W. WA you from? I lived in the Kent area for a few years.

Offline Pnwgameslayer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 25, 2018, 04:21 PM »
I'll have to check those out in the next couple weeks!
I'm from small town yelm Wa, it's about 20 min south of Olympia. I worked up in Kent for a year.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #4 on: Jan 25, 2018, 05:44 PM »
The only part I liked about WA was the wet side fishing lol:)

Offline smorfonzo76

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 27, 2018, 07:33 PM »
How is clearwater lake?  I'm looking for a lake that I can snowmobile into with some decent fishing.  A good sled ride and fishing sounds like a pretty good day!

Check out the lakes in the Seeley Lake area - Salmon, Seeley, Inez, Alva, Rainy, Placid, Harpers, Upsata, and Browns.  There are additional lakes you get to if you have a snowmobile, such as Clearwater Lake.

Because most of Flathead Lake rarely freezes, the ice fishing opportunities are limited there. The primary ice fishing is in East Bay (the southeast corner of the lake) and a couple of small sheltered bays.  The ice on East Bay can get busted up fast by a stiff north wind, so many years there is only a couple of weeks of ice fishing on East Bay. 

There are a number of reservoirs south of Flathead Lake with ice fishing opportunities.

Offline PerchAssault

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Established 2006
« Reply #6 on: Jan 29, 2018, 09:40 AM »
Lindbergh is another option, nice lakers, big perch if you can find them, cutties and bulls as well.  Snowmobile required, and I have no idea how the ice is currently, but you DO need a snowmobile to get to the access most years, I would imagine this year is no exception.  Plan on trying it myself this year...finally have the time and machine to do it!

We radio tagged a bunch of lakers a few years back in a project, and they all went to the beachy area on the south/west side of the lake, about a mile from the access...you'll know it when you see it...

Mike
If I\'m not fishing, I\'m probably thinking about fishing...And if I\'m thinking about fishing, I\'m probably not getting much else done so, I might as well go fishing...Yeah, I just said that!

Offline EdwardsIceMan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 12, 2018, 07:59 AM »
Hello was wondering if anyone has been out to salmon lake recently? And if so how are ice conditions?
12/12/18
Rippin Lips it's just the thing you gotta do

Offline AndyMT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 28, 2018, 01:26 PM »
Clearwater seems to be super hot and cold.  But the trip in is short so it’s always worth a try!

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #9 on: Dec 28, 2018, 01:29 PM »
takes a snowmobile to get to it typically..

Offline pmmpete

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 28, 2018, 02:45 PM »
takes a snowmobile to get to it typically..
And don't take a snowmobile out onto Clearwater Lake until you have checked the snow and ice conditions.  The cover on the lake is often a nasty mix of thin layers of ice, slush, and snow, and you could get hideously stuck.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #11 on: Dec 28, 2018, 02:49 PM »
#truth

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.