Author Topic: Electric drill issues  (Read 974 times)

Offline Mo ice Mo better

• IceShanty Rookie
Electric drill issues
« on: Jan 17, 2019, 10:42 PM »
I have a ryobi hammer drill 18v brushless with a clam plate, a 8" Eskimo silvertip with a 4ah battery. Has any ran this setup and had the drill just stop during drilling through the ice. It happens once or twice a hole. I've tried it on every setting except putting it on 2 speed. And the clam plate says to put it on the low setting for torque.

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Electric drill issues
« Reply #1 on: Jan 17, 2019, 10:55 PM »
Drill mode, speed 1, don’t push.

From what I’ve gathered online, your drill has UP TO 750lbs of torque. For an 8” auger, 750lbs should be minimum. Sounds like your drill is working too hard, overheating, and shutting off so your motor doesn’t fry especially since you say it does it 1-2 times per hole. Have you tried a smaller auger bit? An 8” hole removes twice as much ice as a 6” hole. I bet a 6” would run a lot better.

Hopefully someone will come along that uses that drill and has something more to say.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline Reginald Bonz III

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG UP!!!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 18, 2019, 06:16 AM »
Definitely keep it on Setting 1.

Depending on depth of ice depth you may need to pull up a little to removing shavings while drilling.

I use a 6 inch K- drill on a Dewalt 20V  3ah.  Cuts Like Butta.
Keep those holes clean and smooth

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #3 on: Jan 18, 2019, 06:35 AM »
This was my thought mo. I had a feeling it was shutting down to save itself. One way or another i love the set up and it was great to get out.
Just add water.

Offline Mo ice Mo better

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 18, 2019, 06:48 AM »
I'll have to try a 6" and see how it does. There was only 4" of ice. Thanks for the input.

Offline bearnoob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 18, 2019, 07:04 AM »
I have no experience with that drill or setup, but try keeping your battery warm. I use a drill to sink my ice anchors for my hub and it loses its umph when it gets too cold.
Hardwater fisherman since 2014. All opinions subject to change as experience increases.

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #6 on: Jan 18, 2019, 12:13 PM »
This post may benefit you if its moved to the general forum. Not sure how that works but just a thought...... eiderz?
Just add water.

Offline RIMainuh

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • Cold nuf for ya?
« Reply #7 on: Jan 18, 2019, 12:23 PM »
I agree there may be a bunch of outastatuh's that can help on this too. especially the Wisconsin / Michigan crews....
Chepachet....The Alaska of Rhode Island

Offline halfhooked

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • anything more would be shopping
« Reply #8 on: Jan 19, 2019, 09:53 AM »
sharp blades and dont push the weight of the clam plate should be enough dont get in a hurry

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.