The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Houghton lake ?  (Read 3118 times)

Online thefishfeeder

• IceShanty Rookie
Houghton lake ?
« on: Feb 15, 2017, 10:04 AM »
I'm heading that way this weekend. Staying on the west side, not far from lyman's up by rt55. Any tips on what areas to hit, depth water to try. Lure's, color , bait what's hitting. Keep in mind i'm on foot.Any tips greatly appreciated. Thanks. Looking at the weather should I bring sunblock. LOL

Offline wormdunker

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Houghton lake ?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 15, 2017, 11:14 AM »
I'M going up Friday but my cell phone is broke. If you want to pm me maybe we can get together. I have a RZR so we don't have to walk.
Retired Great Lakes Charter Captain now want to learn Ice Fishing

Online thefishfeeder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 15, 2017, 11:32 AM »
From what little reports I can find, don't have to get far off the shore to find fish so being on foot not a problem. See reports on catching on tip ups. I have a jaw jacker that I just use as a rod holder and another, just home made rod holder. Would that work?

Offline wormdunker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 15, 2017, 05:34 PM »
I haven't fished Houghton since 1968 so I have know idea what to use or where to go. I have a nephew who lives on the lake he has been doing well jigging with a Swedish pimple. When I go up I'll get his numbers and start there. I would rather fish Higgins but was told I don't have the right tackle for that deep water. Good luck.
Retired Great Lakes Charter Captain now want to learn Ice Fishing

Offline Nevsky

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 16, 2017, 04:37 AM »
Just got back from a trip to Houghton.  First time there and was on foot with my wife.  There are only a few places to fish under 1/2 mile from shore.  These tend to be relatively shallow about 8ft and it appears that most of the fish have moved to deeper holes out further.  There are a few holes closer to shore where m-55 is but you would have to know a private access point near them to walk to them.  There is about 2 ft of ice and people are driving on it is if that does not bother you can fish anywhere.  In general the lake is not that "foot friendly".

Online thefishfeeder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 16, 2017, 07:30 AM »
Nevsky, thanks for the tip. What part or parts of the lake did you fish. Is m-55 ,the road? And did you catch fish. What on?

Offline doed

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 16, 2017, 08:03 AM »
All along the south shore is great pike/bluegill fishing. Find 6 to 6-1/2 foot of water on the edge of the weed-bed (runs all along south shore), put your minnows about 2 foot off of bottom and you will have no problem picking up pike. Bluegill will be right there with them, small teardrops with wax worms (they don't like spikes as much). All along the south shore is "foot friendly", across from the back door saloon, you can park, can park at the boat launch behind rite-aid etc. Having lived there for 24 years, you don't need to travel exceptionally far in the winter. Now if you are after walleye, there is a few holes in front of the old McDonalds (10-14 FOW) and boat launch that are walking distance. Other than that, a mode of transportation would be beneficial.

Online thefishfeeder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 16, 2017, 11:09 AM »
Thanks doed. That's good info. I appreciate it.

Online thefishfeeder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 21, 2017, 11:43 AM »
Fishing was tough. Nobody was catching much. Caught a pig of a bass. 18in . I only had a 6in auger and had to reach down in the hole to get it out. He slammed my pole I had dead stick in holder with a big minnow. That was still a thrill to catch. Only little perch were biting and some smaller pike. Did catch a few nice gills a little farther out . Talked to and watched people out and no one was having any luck. Fished from public ramp by rite aid. Normally a good area but weather has fish messed up like it does us. LOL. I would love to go back someday and hope fish are biting better. Trying to figure out how to post pics? I see why, I don't have a photo storage site.

Offline Fishurman63

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Feb 24, 2017, 07:17 AM »
My bud and I were up there the 20th and 21st, real tough fishing for us also. Sounds like the same spot we were also, out a mile or so off the southern launch 10-12 flow. One small pike and 3 dink perch.

Offline 04EDGE40

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 24, 2017, 10:42 AM »
What's the ice situation at Houghton?  I'm half tempted to abandon the trip to Michigan next Tuesday, but I want to go through all of my options before I give up hope.

Offline scout 2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 24, 2017, 05:47 PM »
What's the ice situation at Houghton?  I'm half tempted to abandon the trip to Michigan next Tuesday, but I want to go through all of my options before I give up hope.
Heres what the weather has been up this way. I live 12 miles west of HL and in the last 24 HRs we have got snow rain sleet more rain with thunderstorms. I went to Clare yesterday and it was much warmer there than at HL. I went along the south edge of the lake and there was some shanties still out from Lymans. There was a bunch of people fishing off the boat launch by the golf course. One guy was appox 600 yads straight out and there was a small group way out to th NW of the launch. While there a quad came along the pressure crack and found a place to cross and went almost out of sight to the NE. At thaat time there was no slop on top of the ice. It had gotten cold almost every night except for one. Now after that with what the last 24 hrs has brought us I am sure the top is a mess. Yesterday the ice looked bad but the guy fishing closest to the landing was standing on top and in no slush. The temp there yesterday was in the 30's while I was there and has been at the freezing point all day today.We are suppose to get a lot of snow tomorrow. Lake Missaukee they are putting brush piles on the ice and it looks like they have been driveing out of there today. If you do go be carefull the shore Ice I saw was solid and not broken up.   

Offline 04EDGE40

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 24, 2017, 05:51 PM »
Heres what the weather has been up this way. I live 12 miles west of HL and in the last 24 HRs we have got snow rain sleet more rain with thunderstorms. I went to Clare yesterday and it was much warmer there than at HL. I went along the south edge of the lake and there was some shanties still out from Lymans. There was a bunch of people fishing off the boat launch by the golf course. One guy was appox 600 yads straight out and there was a small group way out to th NW of the launch. While there a quad came along the pressure crack and found a place to cross and went almost out of sight to the NE. At thaat time there was no slop on top of the ice. It had gotten cold almost every night except for one. Now after that with what the last 24 hrs has brought us I am sure the top is a mess. Yesterday the ice looked bad but the guy fishing closest to the landing was standing on top and in no slush. The temp there yesterday was in the 30's while I was there and has been at the freezing point all day today.We are suppose to get a lot of snow tomorrow. Lake Missaukee they are putting brush piles on the ice and it looks like they have been driveing out of there today. If you do go be carefull the shore Ice I saw was solid and not broken up.

Awesome, thanks for the update, scout.  If anyone can update me again tomorrow I'd really appreciate it.  I'm either going to Houghton or Mullett/Burt at this point.

Offline scout 2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Feb 24, 2017, 06:20 PM »
Awesome, thanks for the update, scout.  If anyone can update me again tomorrow I'd really appreciate it.  I'm either going to Houghton or Mullett/Burt at this point.
Be sure to bring a spud as a safety check. From what I have heard there is a lot of ice left but I have not been on it over there

Offline DaveSS1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Mar 02, 2017, 07:47 PM »
Anybody have any updates on ice conditions or fishing?    Thinking about heading up for a day trip on Saturday morning.  Going on foot.  Any information would be appreciated.

Offline 04EDGE40

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Mar 03, 2017, 03:47 PM »
Anybody have any updates on ice conditions or fishing?    Thinking about heading up for a day trip on Saturday morning.  Going on foot.  Any information would be appreciated.

I stopped by Houghton on my way up to Burt and there was a lot of ice by my standards. There was one vehicle and a few quads out, and the private launch I stopped at had 7-8 inches by shore still. That was Tuesday, the weather looks like it's only gotten colder, although I think they did get some precipitation.

Offline Xx xxx xX

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Mar 03, 2017, 06:05 PM »
I'm going out tomorrow morning also. I'll be at Lyman's around 6:45 good luck

Offline Xx xxx xX

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Mar 03, 2017, 07:15 PM »
I'll report conditions and catch at 10 am tom😀😀😀

Offline Xx xxx xX

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Mar 04, 2017, 07:22 AM »
There's 10 inches of ice here. People are out on there quads and sleds

Offline Lil bluegill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Mar 05, 2017, 04:45 PM »
Going to give it one last go tomorrow before we lose the ice. How's the bite been? Pike still going crazy up there?

Offline DaveSS1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Mar 06, 2017, 08:00 AM »
I'll report conditions and catch at 10 am tom😀😀😀
How did you end up doing?  I backed out last minute as I was getting mixed reports on ice conditions from the bait stores and didn't want to drive 5 to get disappointed.  Now thinking I should of made the trip as it sounds like the shores tightened up good on Friday/Saturday.

Offline Xx xxx xX

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Mar 06, 2017, 12:21 PM »
Tons of flags 5 pike 2 walleye and about 30 perch. But I was out there from 6 am to 7 pm.

Offline Lil bluegill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Mar 06, 2017, 07:34 PM »
We fished muddy bay for the most part of today. Had no flags and tons of tiny little perch with only 3 being keepers. Shoreline was fine and ice was about 11 inches where we were and still quads on the ice. A lot of water on top of the ice, beautiful day to be on ice. Interested to see if the ice will last this rain coming tonight.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.