The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Reeds Lake or near by lakes  (Read 1357 times)

Offline c_strap4

• IceShanty Rookie
Reeds Lake or near by lakes
« on: Dec 28, 2012, 01:30 PM »
I am new to the Grand Rapids area and to IceShanty.com. Looking to see if any of the surrounding lakes have decent ice yet? Thanks!

Offline USMC 1371

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Reeds Lake or near by lakes
« Reply #1 on: Dec 28, 2012, 04:58 PM »
Reeds is one of the last lakes in the area to have safe ice.  Give it 2 weeks or so.

Offline scoutb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 28, 2012, 09:51 PM »
Welcome to Ice Shanty.  Yeah, Reeds is a ways off yet.  Try some of the smaller lakes in northern Kent County or Montcalm. 
There he stands, draped in more equipment than a telephone lineman, trying to outwit an organism with a brain no bigger than a breadcrumb, and getting licked in the process.  ~Paul O'Neil, 1965

Offline c_strap4

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 29, 2012, 03:14 PM »
Thanks for the replies! Any suggestions for lakes?

Offline FadedBDUs

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 29, 2012, 04:29 PM »
Checked Fennesy and Cranberry today.  Haven't been to Fennesy in quite a while...I see the locals around there succeeded in getting some no parking signage posted.  They want it private so bad and as far as I'm concerned they can have it.  Anyways, appears nobody's been on it yet, and some dark looking areas in the snow too.  Cranberry was the same, and looks like someone either fell in or threw a cinder block through just off the south entrance.  I know this doesn't help with ice thickness at all, but I can tell you even if it was borderline safe there would be crazy people out on those two lakes.  Maybe next weekend.

Offline superslabs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 29, 2012, 06:19 PM »
Been over there a few times this week. It is locking up but not uniform. I will be over there in the AM on the east end will post report.
The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.

Offline Tree Toad

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 20, 2013, 10:15 PM »
Anything on Reeds Lake yet?

Offline Buckeye David

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 21, 2013, 11:32 AM »
Drove by Reeds on Saturday, it was covered by had standing water on top of the little ice.  There was a shanty on the far east end of the lake on Saturday as well.  I did not get out on Sunday (too cold), but I imagine it will have safe ice by the end of the week.

Offline Tree Toad

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 21, 2013, 11:37 AM »
Thanks for the update.

Offline c_strap4

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 22, 2013, 09:10 PM »
Update: My buddy and I went and checked ice at Reeds tonight. About 4 inches of ice. Walked out about 200 yards and it was the same the whole way out. THinking about hitting it friday morning possibly.

Offline Go Lions!!!!

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 23, 2013, 06:53 AM »
SWEET!!!! Thanks for the update. I walked out there last year checking ice...there was about 2.5 inches. Not enough for me and that only lasted a few days. I definitely missed fishing it last winter. Hopefully we will have a good Feb of fishing in the area this year. Good luck Friday...I may hit it on Sunday.

Offline pastaboy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FISH - ON!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 23, 2013, 10:18 AM »
I am new to the Grand Rapids area and to IceShanty.com. Looking to see if any of the surrounding lakes have decent ice yet? Thanks!
Welcome c strap! Hope you like IS as much as I do. I have not been to reeds lake this year yet but if you head out (almost due east from the fire barn) to about 35-40 ft. of water (near the sunken island) and start checking holes we have found nice gills, crappie and perch in that area. We were using moussies and wax worms but there are no moussies around this year!  Colors were gold or black. Hope this helps you out!  ;D

Offline c_strap4

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 23, 2013, 11:39 AM »
Thanks for the advice Pastaboy! So far I love IS. It has helped a lot thus far! So kind of towards Rosa's Restaraunt but out further? My buddy and I are trying to figure out whether to go to Reeds or Camp lake this friday! I am just happy to get out on the ice.  :)

Offline physcofish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 23, 2013, 02:50 PM »
I think there is a hockey tournament on the lake by Rose's  this weekend as a heads up.

Offline axtell31

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 23, 2013, 04:59 PM »
i plan on hitting reeds up in the morning, not sure where I will be, I will be in a black one man pakshack. Stop by and say hi if you are out there

Offline pastaboy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FISH - ON!
« Reply #15 on: Jan 23, 2013, 05:43 PM »
Thanks for the advice Pastaboy! So far I love IS. It has helped a lot thus far! So kind of towards Rosa's Restaraunt but out further? My buddy and I are trying to figure out whether to go to Reeds or Camp lake this friday! I am just happy to get out on the ice.  :)
We go out next to the fire barn out to about 25-30ft of water and start checking holes and work your way out to the sunken island. I went to camp lake in Sparta last Saturday and NOBODY was doing anything, nothing but dink perch & gills! I did see a couple of guys get a couple of small pike on tip-ups. SLOW day!  :pinch: Camp is a hit-n-miss type of lake in the winter, some days O.K. some days slow. If you go let me know I might head over there myself. The ice was 3 1/2 - 4" at the peak of the thaw and I am betting it is real good now, just be careful!  :icefish:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.