Author Topic: Ride-On mower on the ice  (Read 1747 times)

Offline basschamp167

• IceShanty Rookie
Ride-On mower on the ice
« on: Jan 25, 2022, 08:55 PM »
Has anyone done this or have any insight as to the legality of it?

Don’t have an ATV but recently was gifted an old school John Deere ride on mower. And I think it would make a great ice machine as long as the snow isn’t too high.

Should I just send it until I get caught?

Offline BigKen

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Ride-On mower on the ice
« Reply #1 on: Jan 25, 2022, 09:19 PM »
I've been thinking about trying it out, there shouldn't be any reason you couldn't, though I am no expert in Mower Law. Get some chains and send it.

Offline basschamp167

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 25, 2022, 09:24 PM »
I've been thinking about trying it out, there shouldn't be any reason you couldn't, though I am no expert in Mower Law. Get some chains and send it.

That’s the response I was looking for, and I’ve already got chains  @) think I’ll add an orange tractor triangle to the back first, can’t hurt!

Offline FM67

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 28, 2022, 03:44 AM »
What you are asking I think is def illegal. Atvs are too though unless registered and insured if on public land and allowed there. Bet your lawn mower isn’t. On private you’re good Even than you’d need to be allowed to use it there. In my area of the state most lakes have an electric only rule. That includes augers, any sort of motor actually and thus you couldn’t use it even on private lakes.
My question though is this is posted in NJ section. There’s nowhere in my mind any sort of transport besides a jet sled is necessary. Why do you think you even need it?
I’d also like to say many lakes have springs, bigger thin/open areas. You won’t be checking anything on a mower. Every year snowmobiles go under and they’re moving like your mower wouldn’t be.
Imo it’s an all around not great idea

Offline Evil Tom

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Jesus walked on water...once I do it every year
« Reply #4 on: Jan 28, 2022, 05:44 AM »

Offline Evil Tom

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Jesus walked on water...once I do it every year
« Reply #5 on: Jan 28, 2022, 05:45 AM »
Go for it

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #6 on: Jan 28, 2022, 06:19 AM »
she gona crank over hard out there on a block of ice. lol  they would probably just warn ya anyhow rite?  so yea go for it.

if that dont work try the mantis tiller deal next.  now where is that old video.lol

real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.