Author Topic: Finally a Hut  (Read 3011 times)

Panfish2

Finally a Hut
« on: Oct 25, 2003, 07:07 PM »
It's been a few years since I've been ice fishing, but last winter I promised myself I'd never again sit out a winter waiting for spring.

Never having an ice shanty, I suffered through some mighty cold weather on the ice in years past, and the last year I ice fished I made myself another promise. If I ever got back into ice fishing I'd buy an ice shelter.

Well, with the help of many of you here I settled on the Frabill Venture. I bought it a few days ago, and I have it set up in the basement. I take it down and set it up once every day, and I'll continue to do so until I can perform both tasks with my eyes closed. I figure my basement is a better place to learn the process than on the ice.

Anyway, I've got the set-up time down to 5 minutes, and the take-down time down to 10 minutes. I think I can reduce the take-down time by a few minutes once I learn exactly how to fold that tent in the base without having to think about it. According to the manufacturer, you have to be careful not to fold those plastic windows, and that's what's taking the time.

I think I'm going to like this shelter. At 24 sq. ft. it's plenty roomy for one person, and I can handle its weight of 40 pounds. The galvanized steel conduit framing appears to be quite sturdy, and the lower frame tube locks into the molded poly base rather nicely.

It has two top support frames instead of one, and the tent fits snug against the frame. It has 20 tent clips which secures the tent to the base, and there is a 7 inch  air flap around the entire perimeter of the bottom.

The two ice hole doors swing up and are held in the open position by an S Hook which hooks onto the frame conduit. It has two 13" x 14" clear plastic windows in the front, and one 13" x 14" window in the back. All three are at eye level when sitting on a 5 gallon bucket. The zippers on the two side tent doors appear to be of good quality as they move very easily with no sticking. The base has no carpet, but I can easily remedy that if I find that it's needed.

If there is a downside to this shelter it is that the base has no real runner protrusions. The pulling side of the base has nine 1" molded runners, but I think they may be too low and narrow to effectively serve as skis in the snow. I'm not certain about that though, so I guess I'll just have to try it, and if I need some kind of skis, well then so be it.

Well that's my basement report on my new $230 Frabill Venture Ice Fishing Shelter. I expect to be as snug as a bug in a rug this winter, so come on ice!  :)

Offline crappieloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • nnnnn......Ice
Re:Finally a Hut
« Reply #1 on: Oct 25, 2003, 09:13 PM »
Panfish2, I don'T know about the '' no real runner protrusions'', but if it built similar to mine your going to love it going through deep snow. I have had to pull my shelter through 2&1/2 feet of snow and it only sinks down 2 inches, loaded with 50 to 60 pounds of stuff. Also if you go lighter on late ICE and break through mine will float behind me as i walk through knee deep water ;D

Offline kenelz

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • When the going gets tough, the tough go ice fishin
« Reply #2 on: Oct 25, 2003, 09:40 PM »
The basement isn't the right place to do this, you need to go outside when its windy out LOL (there is almost always wind on the lake).
The first time I set up a shanty, the wind took it like a sailboard across the lake.
My routine is to auger a hole which I put a toggle in and tie it to a corner of the shanty, set up the shanty and let the wind orient it the way it wants, then push it aside and auger the fishing holes.
There have been times when there was no wind at all, and I got lazy and dint tie it down, only to have a gust of wind later in the day shooting me across the ice.

mngonefishing

« Reply #3 on: Oct 25, 2003, 10:46 PM »
good luck out there this winter

Panfish2

« Reply #4 on: Oct 25, 2003, 10:59 PM »
That's very good news crappieloo. Hope mine works as good as yours in the snow.

I think you've just saved me one hell of a bunch of problems in the wind, kenelz. I'm an absolute newbie when it comes to ice shanties, so I appreciate your advice very much.

I WILL set this thing up in the wind. In the driveway, as a matter of fact. Perhaps tomorrow if we have a blow.

"My routine is to auger a hole which I put a toggle in and tie it to a corner of the shanty, set up the shanty and let the wind orient it the way it wants, then push it aside and auger the fishing holes."

Great idea kenelz! I wouldn't have thought of that. Can't imagine anything worse than flying across the ice in your fishin' shanty. Thanks!

Offline crappieloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • nnnnn......Ice
« Reply #5 on: Oct 26, 2003, 09:50 AM »
kenelz, The ICE anchor on my shack is a i-bolt through the center with 10 feet of rope( to tow) with a 1 foot piece of square aluminum tied for a handle(weighted on 1 end). First time i took it out in 35+ mph winds it worked perfect.
I have been looking for another WINDBLOCKtm for the last3 years and cannot find one, cause the company folded >:(
I was told when i bought it years ago that a lot of guys in the Saginaw Bay area use them. Let me know if there are any availabe in your area.
Thanks
Crappieloo :'(

Offline walleye1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Oct 26, 2003, 10:03 AM »
Congrats on your new purchase Panfish2! I took the plunge last year. I enjoy spending time outside in the winter but some days that shelter feels pretty damn good. They also allow you to fish alot better when you don't have to deal with the wind, snow etc. Enjoy!

Offline shwung79

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #7 on: Oct 28, 2003, 07:04 PM »
congrats on the new shanty!!!! 8)
TEAR'N UP THAT ICE!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.