New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Lake George perchin' thread  (Read 158323 times)

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Lake George perchin' thread
« on: Feb 12, 2014, 06:29 PM »
There seemed like a demand for a LG perching thread.
Here you go guys. I'll start it off.
I had a tough time today until I threw the smallest rig I had at them. 3 small glow tear drops tipped with spikes.
And wouldn't you know. I jigged up a dang laker on 2lb test.  ::) I was happy to land it, but I quickly gave the sewer trout away in trade for the perch my brother had caught.  ;D
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline IcefisherSteve

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Lake George perchin' thread
« Reply #1 on: Feb 12, 2014, 06:42 PM »
Got into some perch today. Only couple were dinks. Good bite today but the last 90 min of daylight straight up produces. Would of been a great day if the quad started. :%$#!:

Offline fishyfishes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 12, 2014, 07:02 PM »
Thanks prchslyr for starting this. I was hoping someone would. :roflmao: :clap: :bow:

Offline perchslappinmy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 12, 2014, 07:06 PM »
I had a tough time today until I threw the smallest rig I had at them. 3 small glow tear drops tipped with spikes.
And wouldn't you know. I jigged up a dang laker on 2lb test.  ::) I was happy to land it, but I quickly gave the sewer trout away in trade for the perch my brother had caught.  ;D
That's a good trade any day of the week ;) Just had 2 plates full of Panko Perch from last weekends catch.

And by the way I like the new thread @)

Offline Dr. Honk

• IceShanty Rookie
  • NEED ICE
« Reply #4 on: Feb 12, 2014, 07:17 PM »
I like the thread. I hope to contribute the end of the month when I can fish again.

IcefisherSteve thanks for the report. To bad about the quad not starting. Must have been tough walking.

Offline bigfish1212

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 12, 2014, 07:22 PM »
Anyone else been noticing more females the last week. I was catching probably 85% males for 2 weeks. The last week I have been able to find some bigger fish closer to half are females now.

Offline fishyfishes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 12, 2014, 07:54 PM »
It's getting closer to they're spawn. There is a spot on a different lake that I go to that once the ice is gone I do really well on a rapala xrap. Huge clouds of fish.

Offline ice tripper

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • ice tripping all over the capital region for 30yrs
« Reply #7 on: Feb 12, 2014, 07:59 PM »
Got into some perch today. Only couple were dinks. Good bite today but the last 90 min of daylight straight up produces. Would of been a great day if the quad started. :%$#!:
Nice job on the perch buddy.  :clap: :sucks about ur quad man. :%$#!: :%$#!: :%$#!:

Offline fishnfool59

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 12, 2014, 08:12 PM »
me and a friend went off vets last week and got our limit in about 3 hours,only thru back about 8 dinks. one of my better days perching.
help protect and keep our great outdoors clean!

JJ

« Reply #9 on: Feb 12, 2014, 08:26 PM »
Thanks prchslyr for starting this. I was hoping someone would. :roflmao: :clap: :bow:

Anyone can start a thread.  ;D

JJ

« Reply #10 on: Feb 12, 2014, 08:33 PM »
I'm not a big perch guy. Personally, I like to fish for them later in the season, mid-March into April if possible, when they are schooled up good and feeding heavily to get ready for spawning.  ;)

Offline fishyfishes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 12, 2014, 09:04 PM »
Anyone can start a thread.  ;D
yeah I know. I just didn't want to be the one to start it when I wasn't the one to post it.

Offline fishyfishes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Feb 12, 2014, 09:09 PM »
I'm not a big perch guy. Personally, I like to fish for them later in the season, mid-March into April if possible, when they are schooled up good and feeding heavily to get ready for spawning.  ;)
I'm not sure if I should take you serious or if you're going off of what I said earlier cap. :blink:

JJ

« Reply #13 on: Feb 12, 2014, 09:20 PM »
I was serious, the best fishing comes late. They don't spawn until late April in LG.

Offline fishyfishes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Feb 12, 2014, 09:40 PM »
Oh okay. The lake I fish is much smaller and do well a week or so after ice out. and there are only few, literally, that know about it.

Offline Barebow

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Always fishing for something!
« Reply #15 on: Feb 12, 2014, 09:49 PM »
I am liking this new thread guys, I've been ill for almost 4 weeks, hope to get out if the snow is not too deep this weekend.. Definitely going next weekend, my 17 y/o grandson has the weekend off work, has not fished all winter...Tight Lines see you out there soon! Oh, and  Fishyfishes, that PM you sent me, there was about a 6-10 foot pressure ridge on the west side of that spot we talked about...based on friends report who lives there... :icefish: Barebow

Offline fishyfishes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Feb 12, 2014, 10:08 PM »
Ahh okay. I was thinking of going there this weekend too.

Offline mike304

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 13, 2014, 06:06 AM »
Hoping to get out monday with my son. Been a crappy year for me so far. School is off next week and hope to get out a few times after work since the days are getting longer.
A Government big enough to do anything for us is powerful enough to do anything to us!!!
All That Is Needed For Evil To Succeed Is For Good Men To Do Nothing!
Life is Tough, Its even tougher if you're Stupid!!

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #18 on: Feb 13, 2014, 07:14 AM »
I was serious, the best fishing comes late. They don't spawn until late April in LG.
i love fishin those early spring prespawn perch, nice sunny day fishin in a t shirt....awesome

Offline aj454

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Feb 13, 2014, 07:43 AM »
yea man nice to see the LG perch thread. No Lakers allowed. ;D ;D

Offline ice88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 13, 2014, 08:16 AM »
That's a good trade any day of the week ;) Just had 2 plates full of Panko Perch from last weekends catch.

And by the way I like the new thread @)
yes perchslappinmy nice thread and hope we can fish togeth this weekend lol

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Feb 13, 2014, 10:18 AM »

Been eating off of mine! GOOOOOOD Stuff! But... Sewer Trout? I look forward to eating my first real soon. When are you out next & where? PM me, please.  I've had such great times with you & the boys, I want t go again.

Offline Fidlerontheice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Feb 13, 2014, 11:33 AM »
Anyone notice different bays the preferred jig is different. One day it was a pink genz worm with the chartreuse eyes. A different bay the next day I hammered them on a tear drop glow on one side and chrome on the other. I find that changing jigs is part of the fun of jigging
!!FLAG!!

Offline fishyfishes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Feb 13, 2014, 11:59 AM »
Sometimes, on the smaller jigs, moving the knot forward toward the hook point , makes a difference too. :icefish:

Offline ice88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Feb 13, 2014, 12:20 PM »
Well with all this snow coming its going to be hard to get the hot spots even with a wheeler

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #25 on: Feb 13, 2014, 12:27 PM »
hopefully it gets warm and knocks the snow down a bit so we can get around with wheelers

Offline Benfishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #26 on: Feb 13, 2014, 01:04 PM »
Never fished for perch during the spring spawn. In how much water do they school up in ... deep or shallow ... in the weeds or just outside???

Offline SnotCicle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Feb 13, 2014, 01:43 PM »
Thats been my experience lately.
Stay Frosty

Offline Dr. Honk

• IceShanty Rookie
  • NEED ICE
« Reply #28 on: Feb 13, 2014, 01:47 PM »
I personally target perch because I like eating them and they are fun to catch. We have a couple of fish fries a year at ATA trap shoots.

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #29 on: Feb 13, 2014, 02:04 PM »
Never fished for perch during the spring spawn. In how much water do they school up in ... deep or shallow ... in the weeds or just outside???
i get them in the weeds in anywhere from 40 to25 fow in the fwe spots i hit,get some BIG females at times try to throw most the females back to make more little perches

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.