New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: fishing on canadarago lake  (Read 82645 times)

Offline Floatman

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: fishing on canadarago lake
« Reply #900 on: Feb 24, 2014, 09:59 AM »
Thanks for helping keep the lake clean.  Unfortunately there will always be guys like that.  Products of their upbringing.  Passed on from generation to generation.

Offline perchprince

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #901 on: Feb 25, 2014, 08:01 AM »
some people just don't care. you can't fix stupid  pp

Offline TheSystem

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish Fear Me
« Reply #902 on: Feb 25, 2014, 05:38 PM »
Hey guys, just a reminder:  On this Wed (Feb 26), at the Richfield Springs Vet's Club, at 6 pm, there will be a Lake Watershed Meeting to learn about the various invasive species (primarily plant but also animal) that are threatening the lake, possible courses of action, and the highly successful Lake Steward Program. This is primarily an educational forum, with great presenters from SUNY Oneonta and the Biological Field Station.  There will, of couse, be ample time for public discussion because the purpose of these meetings is to create an all inclusive  plan for the future of our lake.   We could really use a strong presence of fishermen there!  PM me for any questions or a phone#!

Offline Angola Fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #903 on: Feb 26, 2014, 11:25 AM »
This is a great lake.  If I didn't live 5 hours away I'd be there.  High attendance from the fishing community would be impressive and could do a lot of good.
"I catch the fish, you cook the fish.  The only time we're together is when we eat the fish"

Offline TheSystem

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish Fear Me
« Reply #904 on: Feb 27, 2014, 08:31 AM »
The lake meeting was a big success, and I want to give big thanks to Perchpopper, FLoatman, Papacoondog and LilCoondog for making the trip out in that awful weather.  I think I can speak for everyone there when I say that even as veteran anglers, we all learned a lot about invasive species and how to prevent them, which HAS to be our top priority.  This meeting was only the first step in the solution - from here on out, it's going to take time, $, effort, and dedication to get the word out about how fragile our lake ecosystems really are, and get EVERY boat that comes into the lake inspected for invasives.  THank you to all who are as concerned as we are!

PS - I know you'll love this one - According to a top level invasive researcher, the best way to control the Eurasian Milfoil that is clogging our lake is to STOCK MORE WALLEYE!!! (which eat the fish that eat the Milfoil-eating bugs)

I am already preparing a petition to explain this, with evidence, to DEC, and to ask them to not only continue their annual 40,000 fingerling stocking, but DOUBLE IT.  I'll bet there's some guys here who would be willing to sign that petition, right?

Offline MBrown4

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • There's a buggy whip!
« Reply #905 on: Feb 27, 2014, 09:19 AM »
Wish I was able to get there but got out of work late.i know I'm on board for more walleye ;D What fish species is eating the mil foil bugs? Or did they not specify

Offline TheSystem

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish Fear Me
« Reply #906 on: Feb 27, 2014, 10:42 AM »
Did not specify, but I'll post a full report asap

Offline Floatman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #907 on: Feb 27, 2014, 12:50 PM »
Ryan....I talked with him afterward about that.  Specifically, it is the panfish that are very effective at eating the macroinvertebrates right off the milfoil.  He also said since there's not enough of the bugs the plants proliferate  & you end up with an overpopulation of stunted fish, i.e. what has happened to the perch.  So, I guess it doesn't matter whether its walleye or tiger musky, we need more predator fish.  To protect these predators to a certain degree from over harvest it is my opinion that we also need a higher minimum length, a slot length and/or a reduced bag limit.  I know alot of guys would object to that but we've all witnessed the intense pressure on the walleye when word gets out that there's keepers to be had.

Offline TheSystem

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish Fear Me
« Reply #908 on: Feb 27, 2014, 12:55 PM »
I totally agree about the higher limits.  In addition to more walleye stocking, I personally am pushing to change the Cando limit from 5 fish over 15" back to the normal (Oneida, Ontario, etc) 3 fish over 18".  But I realize that is not popular with all fishermen, so I'll have that on a separate petition, and those who want may sign it, those who disagree can skip it

Offline MBrown4

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • There's a buggy whip!
« Reply #909 on: Feb 27, 2014, 01:03 PM »
In my personal opinion the tiger stocking should be avoided.yea they will eat the hell out of small perch but when they get 25 or 30 inches, which they do early here with my cousins 52 incher, those small fish will no longer be the target and small walleye larger perch and the bass will be on the menu.seems like more walleye is the way to go.slots would be very beneficial.

Offline perchprince

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #910 on: Feb 27, 2014, 04:38 PM »
way to go boys! wish I could have been there. stocking more walleye fingerlings and cutting the limit to 3 > 18 makes sense to me. You've got to give to get.

Offline yarn em in

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #911 on: Mar 02, 2014, 07:38 PM »
Onieda is three at 15" not sure about Ontario.

Offline stillfishn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #912 on: Mar 08, 2014, 11:05 PM »
Fished the lake on Friday about 300 yards south of boat ramp, nothing. Talked to a brother and sister on way off and they were jigging up small perch about 100 yards south of ramp, no keepers. Nice weather onlty good thing of the day.

Offline Pantucci

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #913 on: Mar 30, 2014, 10:04 AM »
Hit the lake yesterday afternoon.  3 inches of water over 20+ inches of ice. Hand augering took a nice bit of effort.  Some previously drilled holes had water seeping into them, enlarging them and swirling rapidly around the hole, very weird phenomenon.  Caught dink after dink in 4 foot of water.  Not big fish, really nice for the kids.

Offline papacoondog

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • love the lakers
« Reply #914 on: Apr 02, 2014, 04:14 PM »
went out today, for one last time, caught one perch 11in. the edges are going bad, had to use a plank to get on.

Offline pot-belly-perch

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #915 on: Apr 03, 2014, 05:41 PM »
Has anyone seen those  winged   bugs  that crawl  on ice & snow  & then fly  Sweet
ive seen some around in the snow  2 days ago     yesterday  found 3
  but  havent  fished  this  lake as I normaly   do 
 But there is allwys next year   God -willing
PBP   Out
smile it makes others wonder what your up to

Ye Old Big Hammer   you use the rite tool for the rite job   when in dout ye old big hammer

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.