New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: fishing on canadarago lake  (Read 82685 times)

Offline lil_coondog

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: fishing on canadarago lake
« Reply #840 on: Jan 14, 2014, 01:33 PM »
Fished east side again today with papacoondog. Temps weren't bad, but it rained the entire time we were out there. Got pretty soaked. Still had 6"+ of ice, water all over the ice. Flags were a little slow, jigging was even slower. Busted out the jaw jackers and got some YP on small minnows. Still managed a few pickerel and a few YP over 10". Kept a bunch of the dink YP and C&R all the rest. Packed up at noon.

"Wildlife and its habitat cannot speak, so we must and we will."
-Theodore Roosevelt

Offline MBrown4

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • There's a buggy whip!
« Reply #841 on: Jan 14, 2014, 02:03 PM »
Think they should put special regs on Cando for a year or two. 200 perch at 8 or less inches ;D

Offline FLAGGGG1114

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #842 on: Jan 15, 2014, 08:25 AM »
looking to get out on Cando soon. ive only fished it a few times...anyone got any tips? not looking for your secret spot, just some ideas where there is public access

Offline TheSystem

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish Fear Me
« Reply #843 on: Jan 15, 2014, 08:34 AM »
read this entire thread from page 1 you'll be set.

Offline veteranCNYicefisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #844 on: Jan 22, 2014, 09:22 PM »
I love taking the kids there pretty much will always catch small perch been really slow past few years with decent size fish but catch and release you will have a blast with the small ones

Offline fishyfishes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #845 on: Jan 23, 2014, 12:20 AM »
I love this lake! I've only ice fished once but when I did I had about 10 flags before my buddy and I could get our tip ups in. We didn't even put them all in because it was crazy.

Offline JoshE18

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #846 on: Jan 23, 2014, 08:01 AM »
Think I'm gonna go freeze my but off today haven't been out in 2 weeks!

Offline Pantucci

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #847 on: Jan 23, 2014, 08:34 AM »
I love taking the kids there pretty much will always catch small perch been really slow past few years with decent size fish but catch and release you will have a blast with the small ones

I agree, nothing like taking the kids to Bakers Beach on a warm day for a couple hours and pulling dinks out, they love it

Offline icecutter2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #848 on: Jan 29, 2014, 08:56 AM »
Having seen the Cando thread so quiet?? Anybody been out fishing? Looks like decent weather this weekend for a change, may take the kids for a ride down. I been fishing Oneida, but something bout Cando keeps me coming back ;D

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #849 on: Jan 29, 2014, 09:42 AM »
Having seen the Cando thread so quiet?? Anybody been out fishing? Looks like decent weather this weekend for a change, may take the kids for a ride down. I been fishing Oneida, but something bout Cando keeps me coming back ;D

its mid-winter.  Tough perch bite unless your covering water.   I would also hazard a guess that a lot of folks are putting a lil' more time in on Otsego, too.

Offline slamboney

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #850 on: Jan 29, 2014, 11:32 AM »
Do they still stock tiger musky in there. I thought was what turned the lake around from a pile of dinks to monster perch back in the 80's? Stock more tigers and move the size limit to over 40" so they can chow on those perch. In the mean time I'll be on Oneida. 

Offline tgrm

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #851 on: Jan 29, 2014, 12:17 PM »
You have that right Slamboney they still stock Tigers but the # are down back in the 80s there were very large perch in there, never any dinks. T he state should go back to the old formula of 6 Tigers an acre I think the perch population would be kept in check.  Seriously it was nothing to catch legal sized Tigers,Walleyes and 12-14 in perch look at the state stockings over the early 80s and late 70s and compare to now. N.A.T.T Rules!!!
tgrm

Offline lil_coondog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #852 on: Jan 30, 2014, 08:21 AM »
Fished all day yesterday with papacoondog. Fished the sunken island for the first time this season. Caught and marked fish all day. Moved around all day to locate the bigger YP, but could not get away from the dinks. Caught nothing over 10"  and kept 7 YP in the 8" range, C&R everything else. Saw some bigger YP in our holes but the dinks would beat them to the bait every time. Had a solid 11" of ice where we were. Drove the ATV from south of Hyder Creek all the way to Sunken island. Nice ride, but there were some larger snow drifts in the middle of the lake that took us by surprise. Weekend is looking nice for some hardwater fishing, good luck to all headed to Cando.

-Theodore Roosevelt

Offline MBrown4

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • There's a buggy whip!
« Reply #853 on: Jan 30, 2014, 10:45 AM »
Me and my buddy hit a few of those drifts saturday. Come out of no where when your looking at white on white.

Offline kc_

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • formerly known as ljc2tall, aka kc on mff
« Reply #854 on: Jan 30, 2014, 05:30 PM »
Did well on Cando today. Brought home a limit of perch. Won't say where or how big. But when they were there they were on fire. My brother did 18 in 15 minutes.

Offline markcassville

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #855 on: Jan 30, 2014, 06:40 PM »
found a rod holder on the ice today left behind by a couple of gentlemen i had spoken to in passing. pm me if you're on here and i would be happy to return it to its rightful owner.
oops i dropped my honey do list down this hole in the ice:)

Offline kc_

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #856 on: Jan 30, 2014, 08:17 PM »
found a rod holder on the ice today left behind by a couple of gentlemen i had spoken to in passing. pm me if you're on here and i would be happy to return it to its rightful owner.

Was this off Baker's?

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #857 on: Jan 30, 2014, 08:48 PM »
You have that right Slamboney they still stock Tigers but the # are down back in the 80s there were very large perch in there, never any dinks. T he state should go back to the old formula of 6 Tigers an acre I think the perch population would be kept in check.  Seriously it was nothing to catch legal sized Tigers,Walleyes and 12-14 in perch look at the state stockings over the early 80s and late 70s and compare to now. N.A.T.T Rules!!!

the problem is the internet these days years ago you might see 30 guys all day long now it can be on the weekend 200 just an ol boys oppion

Offline kc_

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #858 on: Jan 30, 2014, 09:53 PM »
the problem is the internet these days years ago you might see 30 guys all day long now it can be on the weekend 200 just an ol boys oppion

Fred the unemployed fishermen of the 90's that used to sell there catch are the guys that killed this lake. I will agree there was a spell 6 to 8 years ago that there was some good perch, but not like in the 80's and 90's.
 We had non stop action today for a couple hours. My brother did 18 perch in 15 minutes. Now these are not Oneida Lake perch, but for a lake that has been producing alot of 6 and 7 inchers. We got into 9 to 11 eleven inchers today.
 For me it's 1 1/4 hour to Oneida and just under an hour to Canadarago. I mark a few fish at Oneida and have never gotten into the eyes. At least I have a lot of action and am able to bring home a meal or two.
 I guess I just like fishing at Kowboy's back door.

Offline MBrown4

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • There's a buggy whip!
« Reply #859 on: Jan 31, 2014, 07:19 AM »
Why have I been hearing numerous reports of many fall fish being caught lately? One guy got 18 and his buddy got 9.anyone experience this

Offline icecutter2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #860 on: Jan 31, 2014, 07:23 AM »
Fred the unemployed fishermen of the 90's that used to sell there catch are the guys that killed this lake. I will agree there was a spell 6 to 8 years ago that there was some good perch, but not like in the 80's and 90's.
 We had non stop action today for a couple hours. My brother did 18 perch in 15 minutes. Now these are not Oneida Lake perch, but for a lake that has been producing alot of 6 and 7 inchers. We got into 9 to 11 eleven inchers today.
 For me it's 1 1/4 hour to Oneida and just under an hour to Canadarago. I mark a few fish at Oneida and have never gotten into the eyes. At least I have a lot of action and am able to bring home a meal or two.
 I guess I just like fishing at Kowboy's back door.
I agree with Filet. Cando was great to fish 5 or 6 years ago and I seen first hand what this forum did to it. You couldn't find a spot to park at the boat launch and south shore parking on the road was bad locals griped about it. Slowly the same thing is happening to Oneida. Parking lots are filling more and quicker than I've ever seen. That's why I don't post very often anymore. I still have my freinds that we share info together, but there are so many lurkers on this site that are just a sponge for info. I still enjoy visiting IS everyday and know alot of guys on here, but alot of those that I fish with have slowed down with the pics and stuff. I do still enjoy Cando, beautiful lake that everywhere you want to go is within walking distance. I'll get there this weekend ;)

Offline troutslayer97

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Alex Serdiouk
« Reply #861 on: Jan 31, 2014, 03:27 PM »
Wheres the nearest place to get bait early tomorrow morning?

Offline Floatman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #862 on: Jan 31, 2014, 08:20 PM »
MBrown4...Are you sure they were fallfish?  I caught a pile of rudd in Canadarago last year out of the boat.  They look like a big golden shiner but with red fins.

Offline fishpalal

• IceShanty Rookie
canadarago lake
« Reply #863 on: Jan 31, 2014, 08:24 PM »
Wow was that a wasted trip. A couple bites from small walleye. Left at about 2 and saw a few others leaving from the beach landing parking lot. Not worth a second try as far as I can tell.

Offline lil_coondog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #864 on: Feb 01, 2014, 04:05 PM »
Fished west side today south of Hyder creek. Bite was a little slow. Caught 10 YP all under 9". Biggest fish of the day was a 14" fall fish. C&R all.

-Theodore Roosevelt

Offline MBrown4

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • There's a buggy whip!
« Reply #865 on: Feb 01, 2014, 04:09 PM »
MBrown4...Are you sure they were fallfish?  I caught a pile of rudd in Canadarago last year out of the boat.  They look like a big golden shiner but with red fins.
Haha there's some proof floatman.

Offline lil_coondog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #866 on: Feb 04, 2014, 09:01 PM »
Fished west side today with papacoondog. Tip-ups, jaw jackers and jig rods still only caught 11 fish. Got 1 rock bass, 1 fall fish and 9 YP. All YP were under 10" and the fall fish was 13". Nice day out, just a slow bite where we were set up. Hope the inbound storm doesn't dump as much snow as they are predicting. C&R all.

-Theodore Roosevelt

Offline kc_

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #867 on: Feb 05, 2014, 08:01 AM »
Did a limit of dinks yesterday. They were not as active as they have been lately.

Offline kowboyup

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #868 on: Feb 05, 2014, 11:05 AM »
Way to go KC keep pulling them out maybe next yr well be done with all those dinks lol. Nice job

Offline kc_

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #869 on: Feb 05, 2014, 12:07 PM »
That's impossible. I noticed that most of yesterdays catch were males. And what bigger fish we are catching are skinny.
kc

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.