Author Topic: lake trout- where to start fishing  (Read 3086 times)

Offline wiicefishing

• IceShanty Rookie
lake trout- where to start fishing
« on: Jan 30, 2008, 04:52 PM »
Where on this map would you setup to try for lakers?

http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/org/water/fhp/lakes/lakemap/0025300a.htm

Lake is in SE Wisconsin, has lakers and cisco. I was thinking about trying the 68 foot hump on the top 1/3 of the map or any loacation in the 105 foot (deepest part of the lake). 

What do you gusy think?

No one really ice fishes the lakers. Many have tried during summer w/o success.

Thanks in advance.

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
Re: lake trout- where to start fishing
« Reply #1 on: Jan 31, 2008, 08:21 AM »
Well later in the year that might be the case...but right now you will find lakers in ALL parts of the water column.  I would try that passage between the island the the mainland on the western middle of the lake.  Also concentrate on areas that have rough round rock shores.  Fish out from 15 to 30 feet of water in the morning.  If you weren't aware Lake Trout(Mackinaw) spawn in the late fall/early winter depending on the lake and they do it in shallower water(as shallow as 15 feet) and the stay in the shallows until the water temp starts to rise in the spring.  This doesn't mean that they are only in shallow water, it just means that there are higher concentrations of them there, because that is where the food is...  If you find the ciscos....you'll find the Lakers!

Good Luck and let us know how you do!
Good Fishing :tipup:

Offline stevek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • STKA (MHF)
« Reply #2 on: Jan 31, 2008, 11:27 AM »
I think both spots will probably have fish on them. I would fish the 68' hump in the center of the lake. I also agree that lakers will be all over the lake in the winter, but they're easier to catch if you get deeper than the weed growth. Good luck.

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Feb 02, 2008, 11:39 AM »
First ice look at areas C,D, & E
Mid winter the same areas will produce but areas A, F & G are normally better.
Late ice as the bait starts to move shallow concentrate on area H.

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 02, 2008, 06:28 PM »
Don't forget about that main lake flat.  Lots of times lakers will cruise big flats searching for food.  The lake I fish for lakers, the open water flat is the best.  Don't be afraid to set some tip ups just under the ice over open water.  Sometimes they cruise just under the ice.

Offline wiicefishing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 04, 2008, 01:14 PM »
Thanks for the reponses. I went out and tried for about 3 hours. drilled 10-12 holes in 105- 50 feet. Fished the holes for 10-15 minutes and moved. I was just trying to mark a fish, couldn't find any, but atleast I can cross off a few spots.

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Length 47 3/4 " Girth 24" NY Northern Pike
« Reply #6 on: Feb 04, 2008, 04:18 PM »
I'd be pounding that peninsula  at the top of the map by H and I would try to get as close as the ice would safely let you near the creek coming in. If it were an Adirondack lake those would be spots I would go to, I should say.
TeamNumbnutts on youtube ... Subscribe !
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=teamnumbnutts&sm=3

Offline Spin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 08, 2009, 07:42 AM »
   I'm no expert by any means but I'd try to find the cisco's, My guess is below them you'd find some trout.
Also work the deep narrows, they are the highways for transient fish moving from one area of the lake to another. They are a relatively small area and should concentrate moving baitfish and the trout that may be feeding on them. My best guess.

Spin

Offline freakfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 08, 2009, 12:18 PM »

I recently asked the same question on another post, what are your thoughts for this cove on a large lake.

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Jan 08, 2009, 12:34 PM »
Any luck yet???

Offline freakfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 09, 2009, 06:13 AM »
I am going to set my house in the cove I showed a couple of post back, any feedback from anyone?

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Jan 09, 2009, 10:01 AM »
It's not a great map.  :(
Are those depths in feet or meters?
If they are in feet I think the bay is too shallow and would like to see more of the map to suggest other areas.

Offline freakfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 09, 2009, 11:12 AM »

Her is a larger map showing the opening to the cove.
The blue fish id is were I have been placing my perminant house over the years. It sits over a 44' drop off.

The red fish at the mouth is a good spot I would like to try, water comes up outside of the bay from 100' depth to a 17' shelf. Problem is this time of year you can not drive vehicles out, so I tipically park at the beach on the back of the cove in center harbor to my shack. I like to stop by after work for any hour or so to unwind. Walking out to the deep area would suck. When Ice get safer, I can move and get out to other areas, so options and input is great. The lake holds, lakers, rainbows, sm mouths, wt/yel perch, cusk and smelt are the most prodominant baitfish.

Hope that helps for more input, thanks for the help.

Offline freakfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 09, 2009, 11:13 AM »
P.S. Depth on chart is in feet.

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Jan 09, 2009, 12:35 PM »
I have marked a few spots for you. With the best ones being the furthest away from the launch. (sorry)  :-[

Offline freakfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 09, 2009, 02:11 PM »
Thanks for the input, I will try and anilize what you are looking for.

Looks like my help put me off till tomorow morning on the launch, so I can review the doctors proscription.

I have a aquaview and just orderd an ice transducer for the lorance gps/fishfinder oon my boat.

I will keep you posted.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.